Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you support Offside Rule being scrapped ?

Offside Rule

• Scrap the offside rule

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • Keep the offside rule

Votes: 150 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've just thought of this, not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere. All players shirts to be fitted with the same technology as the goal line tech and fitted on their sternum area. The goal line /offside technology could easily see if there are 2 players ahead. It may still come down to millimeters but we won't see it and it will be an automatic alert to the ref if offside. They could be like a 10mm disc and if any part of that disk is overlapping a defenders or offside, it's off, if clear and behind the defender it's on. Obviously this can only be done in professional leagues due to cost etc. I think I've found a winner.

I'd take this a bit further, and have the equipment (sports bra ?) that the player is wearing illicit a mild electric shock whenever they stray offside, similar to being poked with a cattle prod. The shock level would gradually increase in power according to the number of times the player is caught offside, until it ultimately becomes like being tasered. At which point they should probably be subbed.

They'd end up timing their runs better, so everyone's a winner.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Accept that scrapping it could lead to “goal hanging “, but think teams would soon work it out. So without great conviction gone scrap it. Could at least give it a try somewhere in the pyramid to see how it goes.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
nope. it would turn football into a high scoring game like basketball, and take away most of the games appeal.

Absolutely spot on.

The passion in football comes from knowing that just one kick of the ball can mean win or lose. Other countries that do not get it complain that games ending 1-1 or 2-1 must be boring, they are sooooooo wrong. Winning 12-10 means each goal would be greeted with a spineless ‘yay’. When you get a one goal victory with the scoring moment being the 88th minute v Palace then that goal is greeted with delirium, that is the drug that drives football.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Hockey scrapped offside prob 20 years ago. Spreads the Game across whole pitch as forwards can be forward and backs need to stay back . Yes it leads to more goals but not by much ! Still plenty of no score draws in Hockey.
I`m convinced game would be better with no offside and of course easier and less controversial to umpire.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Offside should only count if it's a part of the body that you can score with. Scrapping it would destroy the game.

As will happen hopefully, they should only be considered off side if it's a part of the body that can be scored with. If anywhere between your shoulder and finger tip is in an off side position then it doesn't count as off side.

That is already the case. Arms don't count for offside.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Give it a trial run in something like the Ryman league over a whole season. You can't just trial it in a cup competition where games are often a bit more open.
Offside is currently spoiling the game so I voted bin it, alternatively offside only in and around the penalty area, it would make the pitch bigger and take away overcrowded midfield games.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
View attachment 135392

I have said for years that the offside line should moved from the halfway line to closer to the goal, similar to a Subutteo pitch (maybe not that close though).

It would stop teams playing such a high line and free up space in the middle of the park. There would still be space (although smaller) to play a ball over the top or into the channels.

If the defending team wanted to push players higher it would at their own risk.

Is that the 'Hole Punch End' on the left? What's the right hand end called?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'd take this a bit further, and have the equipment (sports bra ?) that the player is wearing illicit a mild electric shock whenever they stray offside, similar to being poked with a cattle prod. The shock level would gradually increase in power according to the number of times the player is caught offside, until it ultimately becomes like being tasered. At which point they should probably be subbed.

So that's what happened to Glen Murray

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A few years ago one of the beer companies put out an advert featuring a concept of "Added time multi-ball" where for added time a huge number of additional balls were allowed on the pitch. I didn't know they had been employed to look at changing actual rules.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I`m convinced game would be better with no offside and of course easier and less controversial to umpire.

Heck, why not? After all it would seem you're across all the key details.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I've always been of the opinion that we should also scrap this rule about performance enhancing drugs in athletics. In my humble opinion I would like to see all manner of drugs being readily available to all therefore creating a level playing field. Not to mention the spectacle of seeing some geezer launch a javelin 2 miles and the 100 metres completed in under 1 second. Now if ever a sport needed jazzing up a bit its athletics and I honestly feel this is the best solution while avoiding the 'whats he been taking' question as he'd have the drug manufacturer sponsorship on his vest.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
View attachment 135392

I have said for years that the offside line should moved from the halfway line to closer to the goal, similar to a Subutteo pitch (maybe not that close though).

It would stop teams playing such a high line and free up space in the middle of the park. There would still be space (although smaller) to play a ball over the top or into the channels.

If the defending team wanted to push players higher it would at their own risk.

Like in Ice Hockey...works perfectly

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've always been of the opinion that we should also scrap this rule about performance enhancing drugs in athletics. In my humble opinion I would like to see all manner of drugs being readily available to all therefore creating a level playing field. Not to mention the spectacle of seeing some geezer launch a javelin 2 miles and the 100 metres completed in under 1 second. Now if ever a sport needed jazzing up a bit its athletics and I honestly feel this is the best solution while avoiding the 'whats he been taking' question as he'd have the drug manufacturer sponsorship on his vest.

The Americans tried that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here