Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you support Offside Rule being scrapped ?

Offside Rule

• Scrap the offside rule

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • Keep the offside rule

Votes: 150 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I've just thought of this, not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere. All players shirts to be fitted with the same technology as the goal line tech and fitted on their sternum area. The goal line /offside technology could easily see if there are 2 players ahead. It may still come down to millimeters but we won't see it and it will be an automatic alert to the ref if offside. They could be like a 10mm disc and if any part of that disk is overlapping a defenders or offside, it's off, if clear and behind the defender it's on. Obviously this can only be done in professional leagues due to cost etc. I think I've found a winner.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've just thought of this, not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere. All players shirts to be fitted with the same technology as the goal line tech and fitted on their sternum area. The goal line /offside technology could easily see if there are 2 players ahead. It may still come down to millimeters but we won't see it and it will be an automatic alert to the ref if offside. They could be like a 10mm disc and if any part of that disk is overlapping a defenders or offside, it's off, if clear and behind the defender it's on. Obviously this can only be done in professional leagues due to cost etc. I think I've found a winner.

The GLT uses cameras positioned around the ground that calculate if the ball has crossed the line. There isn't anything in the ball!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The idea is interesting.

Plenty of people in here saying football would turn into a high-scoring game or that it would just be a lot of hoofing. Personally I doubt it.

Unfortunately (?) its impossible to trial this idea. as it wouldnt give a fair picture: it would probably take a couple of decades to figure out the "optimal" way of playing the game without offsides and if you just trial it in some meaningless cup, no manager is going to waste time prioritising it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
You haven't defined what you mean by 'clearly ahead'!

What I believe should happen is that you are judged on where the torso is. Also, remove the computer graphics from VAR and it should be a couple of checks and if it isn't obviously offside then the benefit of doubt goes to the attacking team.

It should be daylight between the attacker and defender, with any benefit of the doubt given to the attacker. It's not perfect, no rule is but some of the reasons that goals have been ruled out since the introduction of VAR are utterly facial. There is a difference from marginally violating an arbitrarily drawn line on a tv screen and deliberately goal-hanging to seek an unfair advantage.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Sam Allardyce for England again if it happens. 6 hoofers in our own box, 4 finishers in the opposition's. No need for midfielders anymore.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
VAR doesn’t have to be perfect. Even if it’s slightly better than linesman making constant errors that would be progress.

The offside rule is fine. Just stop analysing every decision to death. If you need more than 1/2 replays, and you still haven’t come to a decision, then just go back to the ref’s original decision and be done with it. We shouldn’t have to stop the game much longer than it takes goal-line technology to work.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Scrap it? Good Lord no! It would be like basket ball with kicking instead of throwing.

It does need changing though - just make it more sensible, simpler, and clear enough that it doesn't need VAR to interfere.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I would scrap it except that you cant score if you if you are off caught side. Meaning that you keep playing if you are in an offside position and so long as you bring a team mate into play then you can't be deemed off side.

Also you cannot receive the ball in the 6 yard box in an offside position. That would stop putting one player or group of players on top of the keeper constantly. I have often wondered what the purpose of the 6 yard box was because apart from taking goal kicks from inside it. It serves no other purpose

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If you scrapped the offside rule Glenn Murray could play until he is 80.

You have to keep the offside rule, the game would just get silly otherwise.

As an ex-defender, it used to be a skill to get the cocky look at me forward offside, by stepping up and I loved it.:O

Just pissed myself laughing at that

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
daft idea. everyone thinks it'll lead to hoof and goal hanging, the other side is defence literally parking the bus, with half the team in their 6yd. 6-0-4 would be the goto formation, maybe 6-2-2 for the more refined, 8-0-2 for the less refined.

there's nothing wrong with offside, only details on how its applied.

:lolol:

But that’s exactly what would happen.

Stumpy Tim

VAR doesn’t have to be perfect. Even if it’s slightly better than linesman making constant errors that would be progress.

The offside rule is fine. Just stop analysing every decision to death. If you need more than 1/2 replays, and you still haven’t come to a decision, then just go back to the ref’s original decision and be done with it. We shouldn’t have to stop the game much longer than it takes goal-line technology to work.

Very much this. It should be a "clear and obvious error". Get rid of the lines altogether, and the VAR man gets a couple of looks on the screen. If it's too tight it is "linesman's call".

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Put a chip in those little packs the players wear on their backs, electronic immediate, sorted. Could also give the off side player a little shock just to let him know he's off? Could trial it with Women's football rating would go up!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would scrap it as it stands now. Offside should not be a marginal call, it should be a clear one. The attacker should be clearly ahead of the defender none of this big toe, shoulder nonsense we have now.

The 'Arsene Wenger' (or 'HWT', as I said it before the French mangerial wizzard) rule. Clear blue daylight. 'Feels' fairer. Just as hard to make the marginal call but give VAR 20 seconds to call it, or else it was 'onside' by default. FFS. It's simple!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Just needs a little modification. I would like a midpoint line between the halfway line and goal line where players cannot be offside unless they are beyond it in the attacking half. Would stretch the game a little and make it more entertaining

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I voted keep the offside rule but it does need fine tuning.
The rule is actually a key part of the structure of a teams defence and also team formations without the rule it will get messy and may even alter the whole tactics and formations beyond recognition and not for the better.
But the rule definitely needs looking at in terms of what is actually the definition of offside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here