Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you represent a country you were not born in?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
With Adam El Ab being picked by Egypt again got me thinking would I be willing to play for a country I had never visited before I got the call to play (I think I am right in say AEB hadn't) and I didn't speak the lingo! I am not having a pop at Al Eb here but I don't think I would. Can understand that he has the chance to play in the World Cup but even so....... I suppose the same could be said regarding CMS to a lesser extent bit at least they are in the British Isles.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
With Adam El Ab being picked by Egypt again got me thinking would I be willing to play for a country I had never visited before I got the call to play (I think I am right in say AEB hadn't) and I didn't speak the lingo! I am not having a pop at Al Eb here but I don't think I would. Can understand that he has the chance to play in the World Cup but even so....... I suppose the same could be said regarding CMS to a lesser extent bit at least they are in the British Isles.

i was once asked to represent Nigeria in the biggest willy contest at contiki in mexico.......i said no.:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was thinking much the same thing.

I could however rationalize it by saying:-

It's the country of my father, therefore the country of my heritage.

DanSeagull

Jun 10, 2009
I think the main influencer in his decision is a chance to play at the highest level in the biggest footballing event in the world. I think if I were given the same opportunity to play in the world cup...for Luxembourg...I would probably do the same thing!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I think I would qualify for England, Scotland and India and I'd happily play for any of them - the latter two because it means playing international football rather than an sense of national pride or identity

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I think the main influencer in his decision is a chance to play at the highest level in the biggest footballing event in the world. I think if I were given the same opportunity to play in the world cup...for Luxembourg...I would probably do the same thing!

Agreed, such a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Oct 25, 2003
i've always contemplated the idea of moving to the bottom ranked country in the world (currently equal between bhutan, montserrat, san marino and turks & caicos islands) and living there long enough to become a citizen and trying to represent their national team, just to say i've played international football

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
When i have my first child, I am going to make sure it is born somewhere like San Marino, Andorra or Lichtenstein. Guarantee's an international career

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i've always contemplated the idea of moving to the bottom ranked country in the world (currently equal between bhutan, montserrat, san marino and turks & caicos islands) and living there long enough to become a citizen and trying to represent their national team, just to say i've played international football

I have thought the same. I'm certain that even the average park footballer would struggle to make the cut, unless some money was involved.

So that would certainly rule me out. However, if I had a gender re-assignment, I reckon I would trump most female goalkeepers.

I'm not that desperate for an international cap, so I'm thinking turning my attention to cricket for an affiliate member. Someone like Tonga.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_International_Cricket_Council_members#section_4

When I was at school in Wales, I was told that, if I applied myself properly at rugby, I might end up playing for Wales. Instead, I moved back to England, where I discovered that rugby was a quite different game that didn't suit me.

As for heritage - born in England, with family that came from England, Scotland and Ireland, it didn't bother me that Wales might capitalise on my early promise as a rugby player.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I regularly do, as a supporter.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I was born in Singapore, but have both English parents and very much am English, so would only represent England and no one else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here