Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you represent a country you were not born in?

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I think the main influencer in his decision is a chance to play at the highest level in the biggest footballing event in the world. I think if I were given the same opportunity to play in the world cup...for Luxembourg...I would probably do the same thing!

I met the Luxembourg rugby squad over here when they played Cyprus, they were pretty much all either English or French.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Mmmm, I actually couldn't care less where my ancestors are from, I care where I'm from and that's England.

Thinking about it I'm eligible to be picked for Wales and Scotland, but having spent my life laughing at their pathetic attempts at International level it would be hard to put their shirts on and take it seriously.

England only for me, at least we get past the 1st round of tournaments before whimpering out.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I guess it depends upon who it was. I would not want to play for a third-world country like Egypt like ElAbd is going to for example.

The risk of him getting injured while playing for them against other low ranked countries really is high.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
This is like one of those threads about second teams.........some people have them and can seemingly feel a sense of genuine warmth when they do well. Each to their own but I don't get it, for me its all or nothing. I am a monogomist.

That said playing international football (or supporting a football team) does not provide any real indication of loyalty and commitment to a county its more about ego. Taking El Abd's case as an example, he is seemingly happy to play football for Eygpt, but he didnt do their compulsory national service which includes 9 years as a reservist in the forces. I doubt he will send his kids there to be educated, or let them do the national service.

Thankfully not everyone is like that though........well done Dave Kitson.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Depends entirely on the connection I felt to the "other" country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nationality is fairly arbitrary in my mind. I could become a full German national in under 5 years if I wanted to and worked really hard at it. In my mind working towards getting a nationality is much more meaningful than simply being born somewhere. I will have earnt it. So yes is the answer. And I promise to not celebrate scoring against England.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I've got two nationalities and would be proud to represent either at anything. Well, almost anything.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'd willingly represent either of the two I'm probably able to (Scotland/USA) otherwise if it meant getting to the highest level in a sport.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My son and youngest daughter were born in Wales. I'd quite happily let them represent Wales if they weren't good enough for England. :thumbsup:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Doesn't matter where you were born, only where you grew up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here