Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you rather we were not in the PL?

Would you rather we weren't in the PL?

• Total voters

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Footballs all about the social with your mates . You’d happily do it in any league . A few more wins help for the post match drinks but as they are fewer and further between they mean a lot more when they happen .

Don’t like the corporate customers we’ve become at the Amex and the new fans are entitled but that won’t change whatever league we are in now so we are best off in the prem with the media exposure .

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I'm split really as I enjoyed the days of going to Rochdale, Darlington and Scunthorpe as back in them days you knew most of the traveling Albion Fans and it was like a Band of Brothers.
Where we are now is what we have all dreamed of and I'm glad my two lads have enjoyed the journey of the lows of traveling to Gillingham every game to the point where we are now.
It makes you appreciate how far we have come in all those years.
So I miss the dark days but I'm enjoying the sunny days now

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The journey for me was miles better than the destination

"To travel hopefully is better than to arrive" (Robert Louis Stevenson).

Kinda see where he (and you, and to a lesser extent me) are coming from, but no, I want us to be in the PL, and if we got relegated I'd want us to get back here.

EDIT: Hmm. I see I've already voted on the poll and posted on this thread! (Yesterday). My bloody memory. Still, at least if we get relegated I'd forget we'd been in the PL and could get excited all over again in the Championship!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Whilst the road to the PL was great you can't beat Albion pinning themselves against some of the strongest teams in world football week in, week out.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I do sometimes miss the feeling of "who are we gonna beat this week?" that I felt during those years in which we were a Championship big beast. But surely the point of that is to play in the Premier League, right?

We win fewer games in this division, obviously, but each one feels special. The wins against Liverpool and Man City last season are what this is all about imo.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We hadn’t even got half way up the stairs when he said that…

Had we beaten Palace we were a game away from the Premier League where both our budget and performance have been bottom six every season. That's what he was talking about. The next level.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Had we beaten Palace we were a game away from the Premier League where both our budget and performance have been bottom six every season. That's what he was talking about. The next level.

Old ground and I am not getting into an argument about it but Gus takes a fair bit of responsibility for our failure to get promoted. In fact I think he was the one who’d reached his ceiling :smile:

All just imo

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For me the issue isn't what division we're in, it's the sameness of the seasons. I get bored if every season it's the same thing. We've had four seasons of looking over our shoulder, finishing just outside the relegation zone. I'd like to mix it up, have a season of mid table obscurity. If there wa a guarantee of coming back up at first time of asking a relegation season following a promotion season, followed by a couple more seasons of looking over our shoulder finishing just outside the releagation zone would be some variety in things.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The Premier League is part of what is wrong with modern football, but as I want the Albion to play at the highest level possible, it's where I have to want us to be.

Having said that, I'd prefer the whole league to be structured as it was when we were in the top flight before, so that relegation wasn't the cliff edge it seems to be today.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Well really surprised the vote is so close!
Even our over paid, over pampered, ego adoringly footballers are in their hearts, elite sportsman. That being the case they want to prove themselves at the maximum level of their own competency. The PL, is without doubt the best professional football league in the world. So, as such I love that my two teams are there.
However, do I miss football in the 1970/80’s yes of course I do. It’s like your first love you will never forget it, and that was the time in my early teens when I fell in love with the players, the Kop, the North Stand, the fans, the pushing to get a decent place behind the goal, arriving at Hive station seeing the floodlights at the Goldstone, a pint at the Seagull Tavern, the Seagul specials….
Now I’m here, and my teams play great football and I’m lucky enough to still have all my memories.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dream was to get to PL. Now it is to attend some games when we are mid table and it is not a disaster if we lose

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Getting there after nigh on 30 years of struggle was massive . . . we're still living on a knife edge and it's not as enjoyable, more stressful and frustrating, so I/we need to recalibrate expectations to enjoy the football for what it is . . which is largely good . . it's not a question if what I'd rather, we're stuck with BHA regardless. IT's just dealing with it and trying to enjoy it, without it killing us!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course I want the Albion to be in the EPL as there’s lots of fun and enjoyment to be had from being in the top tier. Equally I wouldn’t be disappointed if we were relegated as there’s plenty of fun and enjoyment, albeit of a different nature, to be had in the lower leagues as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Getting there after nigh on 30 years of struggle was massive . . . we're still living on a knife edge and it's not as enjoyable, more stressful and frustrating, so I/we need to recalibrate expectations to enjoy the football for what it is . . which is largely good . . it's not a question if what I'd rather, we're stuck with BHA regardless. IT's just dealing with it and trying to enjoy it, without it killing us!

Football can be frustrating, but it isn’t stressful.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Of course I want the Albion to be in the EPL as there’s lots of fun and enjoyment to be had from being in the top tier. Equally I wouldn’t be disappointed if we were relegated as there’s plenty of fun and enjoyment, albeit of a different nature, to be had in the lower leagues as well.

This.

Important aspects for me are:
The style of football. I will always prefer a risk of relegation but ultimate survival through a decent brand of attack-minded, passing football over 'comfortable' mid-table through defensive, agricultural football. I don't expect us to win, but I always want to see us try and play, no matter who we are facing.

Bringing through youngsters. When playing as Brighton, I've always been less successful than I could have been by hanging on to original squad members in games like FIFA or Football Manager, because I like to see the development of players and form more of an attachment to players with some history with us. This is reflective of my thoughts on the real-life Albion too. I take FAR more pleasure from seeing Solly prosper than from us going out and signing some better-known/better-regarded player.

Like HT, I will still find enjoyment when the inevitable relegation comes (I'm not a relegation doom-monger, just realistic that unless it is scrapped, it will come to us eventually - maybe in the 2040s :))

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here