Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you rather we were not in the PL?

Would you rather we weren't in the PL?

• Total voters

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
The euphoria of beating two of the best teams in the world last season sums it all up for me. I'd never feel like that beating Wycombe Wanderers You can stick anything below the PL where the sun don't shine. There's just no comparison.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I am incredibly proud of where we are and what we have achieved. Playing the best football we have ever played, with, in my opinion, the best manager we ever had.
Happy we are in the Premier League and hope we stay there.The logical alternative is to hope that we lose games, and what football fan will do that?
And (not but) I loathe the money-driven, contemptible procession which modern football has become.
When Man City signed Grealish and tried to sign Kane it was, for me, just another nail in the coffin of the Premier League as a credible sporting competition.
The idea that I'll spend the rest of my life as a football fan thinking avoiding relegation is the goal and a top 10 finish would be a marvellous achievement is ridiculous - it is not what you sign up for as a fan of any sport.
I feel like a long time goldfish owner who loves his goldfish as much as ever but hates the water it is swimming in now.

So how to come to terms with it all? Simple answer is: have your cake and eat it.

I support the Albion as much as ever and am now helping my even more local club, AFC Southwick, come back from the dead at the other end (in fact just outside) the football pyramid. The one advantage of PL bollocks is that we hardly ever play on Saturdays any more so it's not even a clash of loyalties!

First home game ground sharing at Whitehawk 2pm Saturday. Loud Shirt Psychadelic IPA on the bar, punk/ska/reggae on the PA. (Guess who's back on the mic? :)) Free admission with collection. All welcome.

Come and join us if you like - or enjoy your own non league club when we're not playing. It's not a substitute. It's complementary. Getting involved in the Wickers has stopped me fretting about 'modern football' as I used to and enabled me to enjoy the wonderful fare the Albion serve up week by week without fretting about the corporate contradictions. It's brilliant. And yes, if there is a clash the Albion come first.

So, in answer to the question, no I wouldn't.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Have you had enough and yearn for the "old days"?

There is quite a bit of discontent on here if I am reading NSC emotions correctly, so interested in people's thoughts as to where they'd like us to be

Has the PL lost it's glamour for you?

I am loving being in with the big boys personally

Are you mad, it's taken us an age and a lot of hard work to get there, shirley we don't want to go back to the Championship ???

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I am incredibly proud of where we are and what we have achieved. Playing the best football we have ever played, with, in my opinion, the best manager we ever had.
Happy we are in the Premier League and hope we stay there.The logical alternative is to hope that we lose games, and what football fan will do that?
And (not but) I loathe the money-driven, contemptible procession which modern football has become.
When Man City signed Grealish and tried to sign Kane it was, for me, just another nail in the coffin of the Premier League as a credible sporting competition.
The idea that I'll spend the rest of my life as a football fan thinking avoiding relegation is the goal and a top 10 finish would be a marvellous achievement is ridiculous - it is not what you sign up for as a fan of any sport.
I feel like a long time goldfish owner who loves his goldfish as much as ever but hates the water it is swimming in now.

So how to come to terms with it all? Simple answer is: have your cake and eat it.

I support the Albion as much as ever and am now helping my even more local club, AFC Southwick, come back from the dead at the other end (in fact just outside) the football pyramid. The one advantage of PL bollocks is that we hardly ever play on Saturdays any more so it's not even a clash of loyalties!

First home game ground sharing at Whitehawk 2pm Saturday. Loud Shirt Psychadelic IPA on the bar, punk/ska/reggae on the PA. (Guess who's back on the mic? :)) Free admission with collection. All welcome.

Come and join us if you like - or enjoy your own non league club when we're not playing. It's not a substitute. It's complementary. Getting involved in the Wickers has stopped me fretting about 'modern football' as I used to and enabled me to enjoy the wonderful fare the Albion serve up week by week without fretting about the corporate contradictions. It's brilliant. And yes, if there is a clash the Albion come first.

So, in answer to the question, no I wouldn't.

No mosh pit for you then :D

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sounds like a paradigm of adult life. Some of it is shit, some is sublime. We could play at being kids forever but it isn't enough, and eventually you'd find yourself forcing yourself to pass up the golden chance for better and more, when they manifest, in order to stay reletively unpressured in life's lower divisions. Bollocks to that.

I am loving every minute and can take the rough for the hope of glory. Same at work. Mind you, I will call out twattery when I see it. Luckily this is more a work thing than a Brighton thing :wink:

I like to push myself and I (famously) DEMAND results from my football team. Sitting unpressured in the lower divisions strikes me as the equivalent of the guy who's spent 30 years in the same undemanding job so he can dribble in the corner and wait for his pension to kick in. ***k. That.

But no one really does that in football do they? Because there is no such thing as lack of pressure in the lower divisions. Every bill is a step nearer to bankruptcy. Every game is a step nearer the promised land of the Premier League or the obscurity of the National League and glory can be achieved at any point or place in that ladder. Example? Hereford.

But adult, or not, glory or not, pushing yourself or easy life there is one thing that is unremittingly true. There is a ceiling, For everyone. However successful any of us on here are we'll never be Tony Bloom. Princess Beatrice will never be Queen, however Royal you consider her. Bezos may be the world's richest man but he'll never be God. He'll never control EVERYTHING.

And we have hit our ceiling. Poyet was right about that, at least.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I like to push myself and I (famously) DEMAND results from my football team. Sitting unpressured in the lower divisions strikes me as the equivalent of the guy who's spent 30 years in the same undemanding job so he can dribble in the corner and wait for his pension to kick in. ***k. That.

But no one really does that in football do they? Because there is no such thing as lack of pressure in the lower divisions. Every bill is a step nearer to bankruptcy. Every game is a step nearer the promised land of the Premier League or the obscurity of the National League and glory can be achieved at any point or place in that ladder. Example? Hereford.

But adult, or not, glory or not, pushing yourself or easy life there is one thing that is unremittingly true. There is a ceiling, For everyone. However successful any of us on here are we'll never be Tony Bloom. Princess Beatrice will never be Queen, however Royal you consider her. Bezos may be the world's richest man but he'll never be God. He'll never control EVERYTHING.

And we have hit our ceiling. Poyet was right about that, at least.

I agree with what you've said.
I'm all for us playing at the highest level, it's great for all concerned.
However, there's a fine line between old school Albion fans and newcomers.
I still have a hankering for the Championship days, as i think we played some of our best footy there, whereas now the PL is the place to be for all.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The journey for me was miles better than the destination

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a ridiculous thread.

Indeed. Along the lines of 'would you rather have two bollocks/ovaries or one?' (other unpalatable anatomical arrangements are available for other genders; think of something you don't find agreeable and that's the b'stard).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I liked going to Withdean

I liked being at school, where I was one of the clever ones in the top* stream....

*Except for French. And what a nightmare that was - the thickies clogging the lessons, bringing the teacher down from behind, and achieving nothing.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Being in the Premier League means that I can easily watch Brighton every week.

I just don't like the bullshit that goes along with the Premier League. The money is ridiculous. So much of it about yet so many clubs making a loss each year. Its ****ed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
A guaranteed 12 games a season against clubs we'd have been desperate to draw in the Cups in previous eras. The funds to bring in players like Yves Bissouma, Adam Lallana, Danny Welbeck and a whole host of internationals. The excitement of taking on the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City without fear of being embarrassed - and sometimes beating them. The opportunity for our young fans to see some of the world's very best footballers in action, up close on our own patch. The potential to win a trophy one day or play in Europe. These are things to cherish, not take for granted. The alternative, favouring cheap wins against mediocre opposition is dewy-eyed nonsense.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I absolutely loved the withdean. I could park up, grab a beer at the bewery tap, then walk to the ground and then be back a my dads in 20 mins. Drawing larger teams in the FA cup at home, giggling at the thought of them coming to our little home and changing in the porta cabins. I shall always have fond memories of the withdean...However ... . the prem is the top league and where every team should aspire to be. Yes it it lop sided in spend however little old Brighton are really doing us proud. Just the thought that one of the greatest players of all time (Ronaldo) could be gracing our pitch and potentially losing.

There are pro's and cons of both.

Jan 30, 2008
No, but it's not as enjoyable as competing for promotion or playoffs. Of course, there are relegation worries in any division, but a lot of games I'm resigned to getting a draw at best.
Yes, we've had games where we have beaten the top clubs, but they are few and far between.

It's something we have to put up with to be in the PL.

No one has to put up with anything ?it's all a big rip off for the fans fawning over a bunch of overpaid footballers IMHO
Regards
DF

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Loved the Goldstone but it's gone! Don't care what division we are in as long as we are well run and solvent.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
One of the most enjoyable football matches I’ve ever been to was beating Man City at the back end of last season:albion2:

Demolishing Tottenham, coming back against Arsenal, beating Man Utd in our first season in the top flight. You don’t get that in the Championship.

Even losing 4-1 to Liverpool or Chelsea at home, the quality of the football sometimes has been wonderful.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Categorically no. I love being in the Premier League and watching the best players playing for and against us and actually competing.

I think the Championship is hugely over rated. Can be entertaining at times but the quality of football is really poor in comparison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here