Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you rather we were not in the PL?

Would you rather we weren't in the PL?

• Total voters

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Enjoying seeing us play against some of worlds best teams and players at a nice stadium. Hope this enjoyment lasts because many frustrations. including having an income of £140m plus and losing money because of stupid player costs. 4/5 year contracts to ordinary players. Have always been able to get my elderly uncle to one game a season when one of our crowd cant go. Now would cost £45. Used to look forward to new signings. Now irrelevant as unlikely to see much of them. Match day tickets beyond what a lot can afford
To be honest I and many go along with everything for one reason. Tony Bloom. Just imagine stick a foreign owner would now be getting for receiving £50m and not buying a striker.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
For the Watford game in the half time queue I was almost in earshot of two fellas who did nothing but moan.

They moaned about the club.
They moaned about Supporters Services.
Naturally they moaned about Barber-out.
Covid moan
One had missed the goal that put us 2-0 up, to make sure he got a pint.
They were jealous of friends who no longer went.

I wasn't close enough to catch every word, I was in the queue for the next till, but parallel for most of it.
Unfortunately they were plenty loud enough esp with no mask blocking their voice!

Actually they weren't moaning I think it's fair to say they hated being there, begging the obvious question...

This goes along with my theory on football fans in general and the endless to-ing and fro-ing between the lickers and bedwetters.
Some fans support a club because they want something to take their anger out on, others support a club because they want to feel happy about something outside of their day to day life.

Plenty of fans are here to moan. It's what they want from the club. It serves a very important need for some people.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Its a competition, i want us to be amongst the best. We are and I'm loving it.

The alternative is not great, if you don’t spend big in the Championship with the aim to get promoted you are nearly always at the wrong end of that division, so we are talking about being a L1/Championship team with occasional highs and lows. I also suspect Bloom wouldn't continue to back us as perennial journey men.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I get the “good feel” of being the underdog, playing at an athletics track, playing at Gillingham, being skint and winning against the odds. I don’t get wanting to be in a lower division from which we want to get promoted. From that I deduce that people only want to support a winning team.

PL for me every day, even if you can’t share tickets, stand or take a flask in.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'd rather we were in the premier league. I'm fairly excited but not over the moon.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I definitely want us to be in the Premier League and I wouldn’t want us to be relegated.

I can’t say I love the Premier League though, I didn’t really take much notice of it when the Albion were in other leagues, I don’t watch live football on tv unless it’s Albion or England, I try to watch MOTD though.
I would rather watch non league than Man City v Liverpool on Sky.

I do feel like we are a small fish in a massive pond though, I get fed up with the media banging on about the big 6 clubs. I walked past a bookies about 3 weeks ago , and there was a poster in the window about the Premier League starting, on the poster was a Man City, United and Chelsea player….that poster is boring to me and typical of the bookmakers ignoring #TeamsLikeBrighton :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As with everything when it's good it's the best.

Anyone saying they'd be just as happy turning over Preston as they were when beating Utd is quite frankly lying.
Beating Reading wasn't in the same universe as the 3-0 v Spurs, spending the last 20 minutes of that game sat back smoking a cigar.

Sure I'd like a few more - who wouldn't.
I'd like to not be permanently 16th - Mr Bloom says we won't be.

But I genuinely don't see the point of wishing for regression.
Even when, in a couple of weeks, Vardy runs at out defence from the dug outs.
Latches onto the through ball.
Now 5 yards in front of out back line.
Smashes it past Sanchez from just right of the penalty spot.
Having done NOTHING all game, as Leicester comfortably win 0-1.

Why would you want to be anywhere else?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I want to see us win a cup before I die and the only way we will ever win a major trophy is to be in this division. Therefore, I wouldn't say I was loving our club just making up the numbers, but the standard is fantastic.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The championship isn’t what it was, clubs going down from the PL are holding on to the majority of their PL squad smashing all the other teams and going back up. Not exactly an even playing field. Previous years teams going down tended to have a fire sale and tried to rebuild seems times are changing.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
For the Watford game in the half time queue I was almost in earshot of two fellas who did nothing but moan.

Covid moan

I wasn't close enough to catch every word, I was in the queue for the next till, but parallel for most of it.
Unfortunately they were plenty loud enough esp with no mask blocking their voice!

Actually they weren't moaning I think it's fair to say they hated being there, begging the obvious question...

...which two NSCers were they?

Dunno, far to many potential candidates to even hazard a guess.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Covid moan

Quie a few folk in our part of the NS missed the second goal against Watford.

But genuinely not bothered whatsoever.

Because of the wonders of getting that extra pint in, served in a plastic container and enjoyed in a windowless concourse. What a craic.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I certainly want us to be in the PL - why would anyone want us to be back in the Championship playing mid-week games on a cold wet Tuesday night in Hull or Barnsley. We've done enough of that.

My only reservation is that we will forever be punching above our weight because we can't compete financially with the clubs which are billionaire's play-things or foreign-owned corporate subsidiaries. At least we know that TB genuinely loves the club, and always has done.

That said, I'm sadly resigned to another season battling just above the drop-zone due to not signing a first-team striker this summer - again; expecting us once again to dominate games in terms of possession, but continue to struggle to score goals and thus win games, rather than grinding out draws (yes, I know we haven't drawn any this season so far!).

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I love being in the PL, from a lot of fans online defending the club and saying we don't need to invest in X or Y position to stay financially stable while also saying "if we're relegated so be it" seem to secretly yearn for the old days of being a lower league side, because if they cared about the finances so much they wouldn't be fine with going down.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We need to be in the Premier League. The Championship is great fun if you are a good side in it, but it's a money pit and I'm sure TB is glad to see the back of it. Plus, if you do well in it your reward is to end up back here anyway but starting all over again. If we could guarantee to do a Norwich if we went down and absolutely boss it then that would be good fun for a season but then you don't want to be Premier League Norwich, do you?

But as for enjoying that need? Not sure. Seeing incredible quality players up close, full grounds every week, big sides getting turned over, on the telly for away games? All that is great. Rival clubs owned by nation states spunking over 100 mill on one player, games moving to Sunday lunchtime and Monday night at the drop of a hat, international breaks seemingly every month, fewer games for the same DD money, the absolutely relentless branding and image rights, not being able to pass a ticket to a mate for an odd game, Brighton's only ambition being 16th and 40 points? All these things I could do without.

Sounds like a paradigm of adult life. Some of it is shit, some is sublime. We could play at being kids forever but it isn't enough, and eventually you'd find yourself forcing yourself to pass up the golden chance for better and more, when they manifest, in order to stay reletively unpressured in life's lower divisions. Bollocks to that.

I am loving every minute and can take the rough for the hope of glory. Same at work. Mind you, I will call out twattery when I see it. Luckily this is more a work thing than a Brighton thing :wink:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I want to see us win a cup before I die and the only way we will ever win a major trophy is to be in this division. Therefore, I wouldn't say I was loving our club just making up the numbers, but the standard is fantastic.

Agree with that, although even the FA and League cups are practically a top six club closed shop these days, such is the pressure on managers for silverware, any silverware. My memory for cup winners is nonexistent, but having just checked, I was surprised to see the 2013 LC Final was contested between Swansea and Bradford.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There is quite a bit of discontent on here if I am reading NSC emotions correctly

I don't think you are reading NSC emotions correctly.

The mood on NSC typically mirrors the last performance / result - not the division we happen to be playing in. It was pretty chipper on here the other Saturday when we were second in the table having beaten Watford. Any issues people experienced with trains, catering, queues etc barely got a mention. Seven days later and after a lame defeat at home to Everton and the general mood is very different.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with that, although even the FA and League cups are practically a top six club closed shop these days, such is the pressure on managers for silverware, any silverware. My memory for cup winners is nonexistent, but having just checked, I was surprised to see the 2013 LC Final was contested between Swansea and Bradford.

Portsmouth, Wigan, Swansea and Birmingham, fair play to them, capitalised in a brief window in history where Manure and Chelsea focused mainly on the EPL and CL.

Ironically, more petro dollars/rubles being poured into certain clubs, meant that Arsenal started taking the FAC seriously with zero chance of winning those big prizes.

But it was nice to see Leicester upsetting the order in the last FA Cup final.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Voted loving it but really disappointed we didn't get a forward to support/replace Maupay and Welbeck. Seems nonsensical (with the money we'd make from possibly finishing higher and spending this money on Mwepu) and all rather disappointing.

That said, it's unreal knowing we could give anyone a game even if I do miss the Cullip, Oatway, Zamora seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here