Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

would you leave england,if you could.?

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Quoting what Muttley Mac Lad said to me "'i'd like to get a chain saw and cut off the south of England from the north".

Living in Macclesfield clearly he didn't like my Southern accent, however I agree with his idea, but want to be more radical. Can't we cut off Sussex and become our own little island?

Good 'ole Sussex by the Sea ...

Englands home, although I also have an investment in France so spend enough time away to appreciate good old blighty.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Interesting thread.

I would love to leave England but then again I do live in Coventry :D . The Mrs isn't so Keen. We have discussed it. We do hope to get out of Cov in a few years.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If I wanted to move, I would. But I like it here. I'm definitely not ruling out a year or two in another E.U country or Canada (if they accepted me) but as I say, I like it here.

Would definately, my only reservation is that I am crap with languages, so it would not at first be a relaxing experience. But the idea of lording inKerala, or on one of those great beaches in New Zealand rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Trigger said:
Yes, definitely, and I don't know why but NZ would be my place of choice.

New Zealand would be my choice as well.A lovely country with breath taking countryside and unlike the aussies the people there still love the mother country

Last edited:

Returning to this country for a solid year (so far) "back in the U, back in the U, back in the UKAY, oh arse"
Travel, and the thrill of making your way in another country is the only way you have of 'visiting another planet'. Inner-space travel me hearties, sailing the 7 Seas and boarding new lands.
How the ancient mariners slogged and toiled, many died on the way, many suffered all kinds of injury and disease to head bravely into the unknown - and we can just get on a plane and be there in a few hours!..... and just come back when we feel like it.

The only thing that may hamper you, is either familial relationships, financial or emotional ties. Among the emotional ones (outside of human relationships) is a love of England as a land. It might be seen as something like an addiction, if you really do love the streets and the fields of England's pleasant lands - 'this Rome', this 'Jerusalem builded here'.

However, if you only stay out of fear of a strange planet, then it's going to be a bit tough to say that you stay out of love! What do you have to compare this with?

imho, it's not necessary to look upon an excursion to another country as committment, nor as an indication of how things are at home. You can travel the World, taste the variety, feel the changes and experience 'other worlds' just by having the interest in doing it, and the initial money for the trip. If you want to try living elsewhere, then calculate the finances required to last 2 months - having an open return ticket. There are hostels which enable you to visit, on the cheap, meet other travelers and make contacts from other countries (thus opening doors to those places too, if you make good friends with people).

Okay, so England is great, you can also live or travel all over this place too. There are varying facets to Britain that are thoroughly enjoyable - i.e. after living in Shoreham, then a flat on Brighton seafront before leaving these shores, I decided to live in the farmland, this famed countryside of ours, and just a short drive from the City. It's great, and stopped me from feeling "like I'd never left" and dragging my heels around the same old pavements as before.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I lived in South Africa for afew years in my youth, and as we were white, it was great - dreadful situation, but great if you were white:down:

Alan across the road who used to be an executive member at the Goldstone and who has given up on us, has a house near Alicante and he is there every second month after Septmeber and there all the way through the summer. That sounds like a great way to live and I would like to seriously think about doing the same. If not, Tuscany woudl be my ideal place.

Once the girls are through uni and earning milliomns in their high powered jobs, they can buy us a decent house in Tuscany.

swissseagull

Dec 16, 2003
Baden, Switzerland
Moved to Switzerland in 86 (first job) and came back in 97. After 3 years, had had enough so moved back to Switzerland. Love England but for me, the basics in the UK just didn't come up to expectations. Public transport, schools and health care were the major downfall. I'd also had enough of Blairs warmongering. I was paying more than double the tax in the UK than I pay here but when you look at what you get for your money, you realise that there's something seriously wrong with the way the money is spent. Then again, when the sun's shining and you're out in the countryside, you can't beat the UK.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I probably won't move away permanently when I retire but I do plan to spend most of my time out of the country.

hopefully will have cleard all debts (ie the mortgage) and have sufficient income to really see the world!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
swissseagull said:
Moved to Switzerland in 86 (first job) and came back in 97. After 3 years, had had enough so moved back to Switzerland. Love England but for me, the basics in the UK just didn't come up to expectations. Public transport, schools and health care were the major downfall. I'd also had enough of Blairs warmongering. I was paying more than double the tax in the UK than I pay here but when you look at what you get for your money, you realise that there's something seriously wrong with the way the money is spent. Then again, when the sun's shining and you're out in the countryside, you can't beat the UK.

Ooh, forgot I really like Switzerland but I've never been there for long enough to decide to live there... barring house prices it was also significantly cheaper to live in than Ireland :ohmy:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
coventrygull said:
After coming back form Rome I must say that I would rather live in Coventry than Rome and thats saying something. What a dump :D

really!! I absolutely loved Rome

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
B.M.F said:
Yep. Would be in Oz now if I could get a visa. Next option is the States :) Anything to get away from the grim state of this country.

Is it true that you won't get a Visa for Oz over the age of 45 no matter what your job skills?

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
Trigger said:
Yes, definitely, and I don't know why but NZ would be my place of choice.

Some one at work has just announced that he is moving to NZ and I am finding myself very jealous of both of his upcoming experience and his courage to do it.

Im getting a bit fed up of a country (or area of the country) where you have to spend half your salary on your mortgage/rent to pay for a rabbit hutch. Plus my wife has to work so life is spent ferrying kids to and from childcare, we dont see each other and when we do get home all we want to do is collapse and drink...There must be a better way to do things...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here