No no, no no no no, no no no no
No nothere's no limit!
No no, no no, no no, no no, no no, no no, no no, no no
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no
Nothere's no limit!
No no there's no limit!
No no, techno, techno, nothere's no limit!
Techno, techno!
Ooooaaah, No, no limit!

1677493773707.png

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I thought Potter did a great job whilst he was here and was disappointed when he left.

I felt no great animosity toward him (I don't believe that many would be able to turn down the kind of money on offer and the chance to land a 'big 6' job, which is what most (all?) up-and-coming managers are trying to achieve), though I have been enjoying watching his 'bumpy' ride at Chelsea :)

I think it's a bit weird how so many posters have gone from being gutted at the prospect of losing Potter (when Chelsea made the approach) because of the football we were playing (finally scoring the goals our play merited), to retrospectively trashing his whole time and achievements with us. Apparently, the good bits of form were down to the players/recruitment/luck. but the bad patches were Potter's fault as he's a fraud? I assume this applies to RdZ too, so maybe it doesn't matter who the manager is?

Despite all of that, I would not have him back at this point in time (or any time soon, but never say never).

I think he'd struggle to have the moral authority to deal with wantaway/sought-after players (an increasingly big part of the job it would seem); as well as being at an immediate disadvantage with the majority of fans unhappy at his return.

I'd also see it as a big step backward in entertainment value. For me, RdZ's team is so much better to watch. He has definitely benefitted from taking on a defensively solid, tactically flexible and well-coached squad, but they look quicker through the lines when there's a gap spotted or created.

If RdZ is still with us, next season will be far enough away from Potter's influence to see if RdZ is the real deal, or if (to a certain extent) he has just benefitted from Potter's strong foundations, with added Italian flair and BALLS (big balls). FWIW, I think he is the real deal.

Back in the real world, the only two people whose opinions really count are Bloom and Barber's. They saw 1st hand how Potter handled the situation when he left and they also will know what other targets are realistic if RdZ left. If they decide Potter can return, I'd back him again, but I can't see that happening.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Great post!

I’m very conflicted about that kit still though! I kind of love it and hate it at the same time.
He was my Brighton hero when I was a teenager. I even went to Deepdale to watch him* at Preston a couple of times.

* may or may not have had everything to do with the fact I met a lass from near Preston on holiday in '97 or '98, who just happened to be a season ticket holder, so I was [ahem] in the area... :rave:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, but with reservations.

I can only use a romantic analogy.

Say your lover left you for someone with much more money. At first you were heartbroken, but then you found someone new yourself - a hot sexy Italian - and had a brief passionate fling. But then they, too, sadly left you.

Your old partner then admitted they'd made a huge mistake and wanted to come back.

Would you let them? Well, maybe yes. But things would never quite be the same. Words have been spoken, feelings have been hurt. And after discovering what life could be like with someone more exciting, you realise they'd only ever be second best.

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Yes, but with reservations.

This is true, so maybe yes

I can only use a romantic analogy.

Say your lover left you for someone with much more money. At first you were heartbroken, but then you found someone new yourself - a hot sexy Italian - and had a brief passionate fling. But then they, too, sadly left you.

Your old partner then admitted they'd made a huge mistake and wanted to come back.

Would you let them? Well, maybe yes. But things would never quite be the same. Words have been spoken, feelings have been hurt. And after discovering what life could be like with someone more exciting, you realise they'd only ever be second best.

How true, I guess if we lost

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I was in the minority when he was here that I felt he was a very fortunate man to be at our club, given the infrastructure and the playing squad being provided for him. We had a dreadful run last season and then all of a sudden he stumbled upon Moises Caicedo, put him in the team and bang - wins over Arsenal and Tottenham and then a storming end to the season with a settled team and the real emergence of Alexis Mac. I'm not sure how much credit Potter can take for any of it, other than having the stones to blood Caicedo and Mitoma and the many other young players who emerged during his tenure. I think most managers would have realised Sanchez was better than a dreadfully off-peak Maty Ryan, but Potter was the man in power and he took the decision to play him - so fair enough.

Overall, I'm delighted that Chelsea are no longer able to score goals or entertain their fans or win a game of football. We all said that the long catastrophic runs he enjoyed as our manager wouldn't be tolerated at Chelsea but we also know that they will go on a little run, probably when the Champions League campaign is over and they're too far from the top 4 to get into contention.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I think he has cooked his goose with most Albion fans. His ‘history’ comment was entirely condescending and poor in his judgement imo. He sprinted to them at the first opportunity without a second thought for us (I do understand why)
He did well with us and I thank him for that tbf.
But a return is completely out of the question for me

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Summarised, you probably wouldn't want to have Potter back and Potter really probably didn't wouldnt want to have you guys back either.. so that will probably be it for the forseeable future.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Summarised, you probably wouldn't want to have Potter back and Potter really probably didn't wouldnt want to have you guys back either.. so that will probably be it for the forseeable future.
But that wasn’t the question (I think I got the gist of your very eloquent summary)

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
It may be that Todd is a man of his word and Potter is there next season….. if he is still there I personally think he will be successful, fresh start - cut the dead wood - pre season development, why wouldn’t he?

However, if he goes in the next few weeks, 12 or 13 without a win or whatever it is, with half a billion pounds worth of squad, where exactly do you think his next job would be?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It may be that Todd is a man of his word and Potter is there next season….. if he is still there I personally think he will be successful, fresh start - cut the dead wood - pre season development, why wouldn’t he?

However, if he goes in the next few weeks, 12 or 13 without a win or whatever it is, with half a billion pounds worth of squad, where exactly do you think his next job would be?
Somewhere like West Ham or Everton or Crystal Palace or Villa perhaps. It will be a mid-tier PL club.

GP might be the first manager to go 12 or 13 without a win with a billion pound squad but he was also the first manager to take a club into the top 10 despite a positive net transfer result. Will be plenty of interested clubs, though his chances of landing a top 6 job (ever) again are probably slim.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Somewhere like West Ham or Everton or Crystal Palace or Villa perhaps. It will be a mid-tier PL club.

GP might be the first manager to go 12 or 13 without a win with a billion pound squad but he was also the first manager to take a club into the top 10 despite a positive net transfer result. Will be plenty of interested clubs, though his chances of landing a top 6 job (ever) again are probably slim.
Some of those clubs are the same that I came up with possibly Southampton or WBA anything like that where the job becomes available.

If Todd keeps him and GP isn’t absolutely flying in the first 10-12 games next season, I think time will be up… and in that instance his next job will also likely be Villa,Southampton etc

All in all his post BHA career is unlikely to yield any success unless he can survive this season and start the next looking a definite top4 contender.

When he was ours we mostly believed he would go on to greater things, now seems unlikely unless Todd gives him the same chance Sir Alex got at Man Utd.

Think he is destined for the “managers merry go round” shame really but he made his choices

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I do wonder where he will end up when he's finally sacked

Doubtful he gets another top 6 job, Turned down spurs (Thank god) and failure at Chelsea , leaves United/Arsenal/Pool/City, can you see any of these clubs going for him?

Next Level below on this season Fulham/Brighton/Brentford - Maybe Brentford if Frank goes? But I find it unlikely any of those clubs go for him.

He's going to have to drop down the table considerably if he wants to stay in the PL, I could see him rock up at Leeds.

Maybe he will end up abroad/Spl or dipping back down to a top championship club, maybe somewhere like Southampton?

He will be way down the list of clubs after his stint at Chelsea

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here