Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you have Potter back?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought Potter did a great job whilst he was here and was disappointed when he left.

I felt no great animosity toward him (I don't believe that many would be able to turn down the kind of money on offer and the chance to land a 'big 6' job, which is what most (all?) up-and-coming managers are trying to achieve), though I have been enjoying watching his 'bumpy' ride at Chelsea :)

I think it's a bit weird how so many posters have gone from being gutted at the prospect of losing Potter (when Chelsea made the approach) because of the football we were playing (finally scoring the goals our play merited), to retrospectively trashing his whole time and achievements with us. Apparently, the good bits of form were down to the players/recruitment/luck. but the bad patches were Potter's fault as he's a fraud? I assume this applies to RdZ too, so maybe it doesn't matter who the manager is?

Despite all of that, I would not have him back at this point in time (or any time soon, but never say never).

I think he'd struggle to have the moral authority to deal with wantaway/sought-after players (an increasingly big part of the job it would seem); as well as being at an immediate disadvantage with the majority of fans unhappy at his return.

I'd also see it as a big step backward in entertainment value. For me, RdZ's team is so much better to watch. He has definitely benefitted from taking on a defensively solid, tactically flexible and well-coached squad, but they look quicker through the lines when there's a gap spotted or created.

If RdZ is still with us, next season will be far enough away from Potter's influence to see if RdZ is the real deal, or if (to a certain extent) he has just benefitted from Potter's strong foundations, with added Italian flair and BALLS (big balls). FWIW, I think he is the real deal.

Back in the real world, the only two people whose opinions really count are Bloom and Barber's. They saw 1st hand how Potter handled the situation when he left and they also will know what other targets are realistic if RdZ left. If they decide Potter can return, I'd back him again, but I can't see that happening.
The stages of grief.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I do wonder where he will end up when he's finally sacked

Doubtful he gets another top 6 job, Turned down spurs (Thank god) and failure at Chelsea , leaves United/Arsenal/Pool/City, can you see any of these clubs going for him?

Next Level below on this season Fulham/Brighton/Brentford - Maybe Brentford if Frank goes? But I find it unlikely any of those clubs go for him.

He's going to have to drop down the table considerably if he wants to stay in the PL, I could see him rock up at Leeds.

Maybe he will end up abroad/Spl or dipping back down to a top championship club, maybe somewhere like Southampton?

He will be way down the list of clubs after his stint at Chelsea
Abroad would not surprise me but thats a couple of years down the line I think. He doesn't want to uproot his family while his kids are in school so unless the kiddos are all for going to Spain or something, I think he'll remain in England.

Like I said before, top 6 are not going to want him in the short/medium future so he'll have to find another club. Think he can pick quite freely from the non-top 10 teams however, when the jobs are available. Pundits/Chelsea/Brighton fans might not like him but ask anyone working in the game and they'll hold him in very high regard.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Abroad would not surprise me but thats a couple of years down the line I think. He doesn't want to uproot his family while his kids are in school so unless the kiddos are all for going to Spain or something, I think he'll remain in England.

Like I said before, top 6 are not going to want him in the short/medium future so he'll have to find another club. Think he can pick quite freely from the non-top 10 teams however, when the jobs are available. Pundits/Chelsea/Brighton fans might not like him but ask anyone working in the game and they'll hold him in very high regard.
I’m sure that’s quite likely- I don’t know anyone working in the game but I can understand how that would be the case. Strikes me though that there can’t be anyone working in the game that doesn’t think he should have done better than this with the hand he’s been dealt? I’m gutted for him as a person because it’s an absolute horror show at Chelsea and I would expect most people working in the game to be thinking he will have to be very strong to bounce back from this. Hopefully they won’t all turn their backs on him and he will get a job somewhere

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

If you are a club with the ambition to break into the top 6 or CL are you going to think he's the man to do it?

The squad he has at Chelsea, even before Jan was very good and Tuchel was getting a better tune out of them.

It's a double disaster for him at the moment, if Brighton went into free fall after he left, Chelsea would almost be a free hit as he would have his Brighton work as a back up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here