Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you buy a Peugeot?

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Would you buy a Peugeot I would not buy any French car manager at a major tyre exhaust brakes etc centre told me a little while back that most cars are so reliable he just never sees them and if it was not for the French cars he would have to shut down his words god bless the French

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Where was that? The mrs is looking around for a cheap 2nd car for around that price.

Pretty sure he found it on ebay, pickup was in leatherhead which I drove him to. You just have to keep an eye out for a good deal, the bloke he bought it from had paid £2500 for it a year ago but changed job and got a company car. He just wanted cash in his hand, hence the decent price.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I have owned Peugeots since 1997 and have not had any problem with them.
In that time i have had a 405, 406, 307 and 2 206s and i cover approximately 10,000 miles a year .
My daughter also drives a 206 which she has owned for 4 years and has also had no problems.
I have nothing but praise for them.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I bought a 206 estate just for work running around Brighton. The gearbox went at 25,000 miles and the electrics now are a joy to behold. Start it up and the headlights come on but nothing else works, Put the sidelights on and most things work, indicators, windows etc but oil light and handbrake warning lights flash on and off along with the beeping. It keeps going though and I've got used to it now. Strangely enough when dark the headlights don't come on when started and everything works normal

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
I bought a 206 estate just for work running around Brighton. The gearbox went at 25,000 miles and the electrics now are a joy to behold. Start it up and the headlights come on but nothing else works, Put the sidelights on and most things work, indicators, windows etc but oil light and handbrake warning lights flash on and off along with the beeping. It keeps going though and I've got used to it now. Strangely enough when dark the headlights don't come on when started and everything works normal

What is your definition of no problems I know people who think replacing the exhaustseveral times during the life of the car say100,000 as normal

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I had a 205 GTI 1.9 and it was a great car to drive, was very quick, handled very well and certainly put the fun back into motoring.
It wasn't the best built car though but for the money I couldn't really complain.
I now drive a Toyota Aygo.....I must be getting old, lol

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My little 206 will do 100+ on the motorway and 50 mpg around town. It starts first time whatever the weather and sails through MOT's. Why would I change it?

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
What is your definition of no problems I know people who think replacing the exhaustseveral times during the life of the car say100,000 as normal

I don't think it's normal but it is a company car that does get abused as everyone uses it ( we are a small family business) but the electrics have nothing to do with that. As someone mentioned earlier a few do have problems in that way. Too complicated cars nowadays lol

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I've had

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I've had both a 106 and 206 and they both caused me nothing but agg.

Seat runners replaced, door hinge re-welded, cataylic converter replaced, radiator replaced (twice), battery replaced (twice), exhaust replaced, I could go on

Incidentally just before I sold the 106 for some reason the engine would constantly sit at 3000 revs without me even touching the accelerator. Luckily this rev issue didn't make an appearance the day the lady I sold it to took it for a test drive

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
No always starts and keeps going, mind you it's going to London 4 days next week keep u posted

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I had a 405 diesel which my brother now has. It's 19 years old this summer, has 230,000 miles on the clock and while it's seen better days it's still going. Clutch has been replaced once. Brakes, glow plugs etc obviously require replacing now and again. Air conditioning packed up a couple of years ago and was too expensive to replace. I was under the impression that the French are good at building diesel cars but not so great at building petrol cars.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Really don't understand all this anti-French cars bias. I had a Peugeot 406 TDi from new for 10 years, and it was fantastic (well, apart from a complete dashboard electronics blowout in the 1st year, that is).
How many more posts like this can we have in one thread? It's hilarious... I had a Peugeot which exploded whilst driving and caused a mass extinction, still going to stick with the Peugeot though!

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Avoid, as with their sister company Citroen, or Renault or Fiat.

Owned a brand new Peugeot, and as time went on, realised it was crap ..... Electrical niggles, poor service at the dealer eg long queues, poor build quality, and not the cheapest for repairs.

High depreciation rates also.

Have since owned Japanese and German cars, and they are different level above by a long way, in every way. Stick to these, subject to proper checks on the individual car, and you won't have regrets.

This.

You may be lucky, but the odds of getting a french or italian car with faults, is far greater than with say a VW or Japanese car.

Avoid at all costs. Cheap price now, but lots of bills and tedious visits to garages on your spare time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here