Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you be happy with 7th, now?

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
You can only assume that the relegated clubs parachute payments are mainly being used to service debts they accrued in the Prem. if we did go up, I'd like to think TB is more financially astute and would not put us in that position. Swansea and dare I say it, Saints (to a lesser degree) are the model we should emulate.

As much as I love the quality and unpredictability of the Championship, I really hope our current squad has the guts and fight to take us up. Second prize would be to finish above Palace.

johnhammond

Neither John, nor Hammond
Jan 17, 2008
Utrecht
We're in the playoff positions with a handful of (more than winnable) games left - finishing 7th or lower would be a balls-up. Start of the season, 7th would have been great. But to be this close now, we have to take the opportunity.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I ask, as a couple of months ago that question came up (someone please find the thread) where a fair few were very happy with finishing 7th.

'It's an improvement', 'going in the right direction', 'more points than last year', '5 year plan'.

It was cliche city Arizona.

2 more wins and automatic is back on the table :moo:

I think automatic promotion is out of reach, but would be disappointed if we didn't make the play offs now.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Some people on here think if we miss out, we will lose our manager and best players. Yes it is likely that if we miss out, Gus will move on and maybe some of our players. What people seem to forget is that we are a big club again we would attract a decent manager, who would have money to spend, and as some think we will lose players, that will be sold. Therefore we will have money to spend on new players from the sale of the old players. A season is about 46 games and what matters is where you are when the last game is finished. We have gone from being top of the league to dropping out of the play offs, to being a fair few points of the play offs and now we find ourselves back in the play offs all in one season. Still 7 games to go and we should be looking at the play offs as our target and it will be a big disappointment if we miss out, however it will not be the end of the world, we will come back next season stronger. Cardiff are a team that have spent huge amounts of money over the last few years and have always just missed out, its not an easy league to get out of, even with a lot of money.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Would be disappointed now with 7th, its in our hands. Not sure I agree fully about losing gus and players if we fail. Gus may go but I am sure a plan is in place to deal with that. All the players are under contract except spanish daveand the loanees but would we have kept bridge anyway? I do wonder and hope that we have a clause in spanish daves contract re an extra year? The bulk of the team will only leave at the right price if we allow it and that money could be reinvested.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We're kind of locked into the process now: basically, we have to go for it. Getting this close to the front runners means that thoughts are turning to life in the Premiership and we have plenty of staff who can cut it at that level, with or without BHA.

We've proved we're among the best sides in the division, and it's only a few silly goals conceded that have kept us out of the automatic positions.

So 7th would seem like an underachievement now. Though I'm not obsessive about getting into the Premiership ... life in the Championship has been a brilliant experience.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Though I'm not obsessive about getting into the Premiership ... life in the Championship has been a brilliant experience.

Absolutely this. Personally, I'd be fricking delighted with 7th, having knocked on the door of the play-offs all season. A marked improvement from last year, and something to build on for next.,

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
7th, no way. It's up up up this year. Question is, if / when we go up do we spend the £90 million on players or bank the money and run. Are we good enough for the top league?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Question is, if / when we go up do we spend the £90 million on players or bank the money and run.

A bit of both - assuming that Gus stays if we go up he'll no doubt bring in more flair Spaniards who are out of contract/favour at their clubs for free/minimal fees, then spend on a few quality players who will make the difference

C

CT1

I wouldn't be happy but I couldn't be pissed of with Gus or the players

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
7th place has to be seen in the context of how the Championship has played out this year.

I think I'm right in saying the previous highest points tally of a relegated team was Leicester in 2007/08 with 52. That record looks like it will go with something to spare. Two weeks ago Leeds United fans were in the hunt for a play-off place. Now they're on the verge of getting sucked in to a relegation dogfight. Statistically, this is the most even Championship I can remember.

The teams in 2nd and 3rd have lost a remarkable 12 times each. We've lost just 9 times, and so for that fact alone I don't believe anyone who says they'd be happy with 7th.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I agree with quite a few points already made on this thread. With the way everything's played out this year - relegated teams struggling, recent results going our way, Ulloa catching fire at the right moment - this is now a GOLDEN opportunity. At the turn of the year, 7th would have done me, but this is now such a great chance to get out of this league that I'd be gutted if we didn't at least give ourselves a chance.

Next year, if we are still in the Championship, will be much tougher IMO - I don't see whoever comes down from the Prem struggling like Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton to a lesser extent have this year, I think those three teams just mentioned will be a lot stronger and I think we are likely to lose a few key players such as Bridcutt, Spanish Dave and Vicente. The way everything's panned out, we HAVE to grab this opportunity now.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Any position between 7th & 10th will be fine which would result in us remaining in a league in which we can comfortably exist without financial problems,be content with what we have got,look at the nunber of teams who have come down and can barely half fill there stadiums

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely this. Personally, I'd be fricking delighted with 7th, having knocked on the door of the play-offs all season. A marked improvement from last year, and something to build on for next.,

How is 7th a marked improvement on 10th? We are 6th!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Any position between 7th & 10th will be fine which would result in us remaining in a league in which we can comfortably exist without financial problems,be content with what we have got,look at the nunber of teams who have come down and can barely half fill there stadiums

What is the point of not supporting your club in its quest to achieve the chance of the biggest prize in club football!? Madness, absolute madness.

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
At the start of the season I would have been happy with 7th.

Even before the Palace match I may well have been happy with 7th.

With the way we have played the last two matches and the manner in which our playoff competitors seem to have fallen over themselves to help us, I wouldn't be happy with 7th anymore.

Let's do this!

Yep, home form is key...there for the taking!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here