Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you be disappointed with 9th place this season?

The question asked was disappointment, not whether we are overachieving. Those are two distinct issues

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Personally think top 6 maybe was a one off. Bloom will never keep a side together long enough to achieve that ultimate consistency. If we had added Pedro’s 20 goals to last seasons squad we would be achieving on Villa levels.
We finished above Villa last season without Pedro's goals. Villa are having a great season but will probably finish no higher than 6th and unless they win the conference wont have much to show for their revival under Emery....so far of course.

Not trying take anything away from Villa but their relative success is overhyped, they have the 6th biggest wage bill in the league and an elite manager, they are pretty much where they should be. If we had their budget we'd have comfortably qualified for the champions league last year and would in the top six now.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Given the ridiculous number of injuries to key players, extra games/travel and the failure to recruit a quality defensive midfielder and a right back (that can stay fit), top 10 and Europa quarters would be a good season IMO.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My disappointment would be with who would inevitably finishes above us if we finish in 9th.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No and actually it might not be a bad thing to have a stab the league next year without Europe

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We finished above Villa last season without Pedro's goals. Villa are having a great season but will probably finish no higher than 6th and unless they win the conference wont have much to show for their revival under Emery....so far of course.

Not trying take anything away from Villa but their relative success is overhyped, they have the 6th biggest wage bill in the league and an elite manager, they are pretty much where they should be. If we had their budget we'd have comfortably qualified for the champions league last year and would in the top six now.

Villa really is not a fairytale story. I estimated a while back their squad has cost £600m and you mention a wage bill to match. The two owners have financially doped the club.

Last edited:

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
IF we could get 8th place and a good run in EL and Cup, then its been a fantastic season. Having Enciso back will be like a new signing (hopefully). Shame we let Undav go, he would have been a good option right now.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Before the season started I said Top 10 and getting out of the Europa League Group would be success for me and that is unchanged.

It's frustrating selling and trying to replace top players, but on top of the footballing success we are watching, the club is now in a better financial state than ever in its history, with a further host of youngsters coming through and great times ahead :thumbsup:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I was more making the point they added to their squad instead of selling.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Start of the season I would have felt 10th , knockout of Europa and a good FA cup run would be a great achievement considering we lost Caicedo and Mac .

As the season has played out I felt we could/should have done better despite the injuries - losing points to Burnley, SUFC, Fulham at home when we really should have won , plus possibly Liverpool and then a point yesterday and that's 9 points where we played well enough to have the points and it's not wishful thinking.

Unfortunately I think the current new injuries (Jao Pedro and Hinshelwood) are going to be more difficult for us to deal with than the ones we have had so far , they have been outstanding. So I will be pleased if we stay top 10, and continue with the Europa & Fa Cup progress .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here