Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would Potter have gone by now if fans were at games?

boik

I saw who this thread was started by, opened it despite my judgement, and was not disappointed.

I shall refrain from saying what I really think about the O/P, but I am confident enough that there enough non-shouty people who still support GP.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As this has no truth in it, and is designed to reel people in, this really needs a Mod to delete it or in the spirit of free speech, amend it to something less pissing offy.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
So if you are not able to score as many goals in the PL as in a lower division, it means you've gone backwards? Some "Paul Mullin" is the current top scorer in a lower English division with 17 goals. If he ends up at lets say Burnley and only scores 8, does this mean he would have gone backwards as a player?

Too bad you didnt see the desire to win yesterday, I thought the team looked pretty keen on trying to get the ball into their net but I guess we percieve things differently.

I see Maupay going backwards as he's not delivering as well as he was last season, which was his transition season, if you like, as it was Potters the clubs and all the other players.. I saw the desire, (but no killer instinct) just not the required application to succeed. sadly it's a recurring theme.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Would be good wouldn't it.

If fans were allowed in the stadium Potter would have resigned by now. Fact.

I think he's very lucky to have an empty stadium at the moment as sheer vitriol that would have been directed at him after last nights substitution ("YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING") would hopefully have tipped the boring tosser over the edge. I don't think it would have been lost on the players either.

I feel if fans had been in the stadium cheering them on, we would have more points.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I agree with this statement.

If you're the manager of the local Maccies and you allow staff to perform ineptly and do nothing about it you'll get the tin tack, same way football should run.

The only difference I would add is that if not GPott, who? There's no budget, you've got to work with the players you have?

Would Smug Eddie, Frank, Sparky make any difference?

We'll be safe, by the skin of our teeth, but we'll be safe.

#bekind

I'm a design engineer . . . I could sit her, designing, detailing, drawing away for a month or two and produce something that looks fantastic, goes together ok, but doesn't work, or operate to the required specification, or perform to the required standard. I'd be on the dole pretty damned quick, the operational requirements are as key to my success as anything, TBH on an industrial level aesthetics matter less, but operational practicality is important, if it looks right it usually is.

Football is not a precise art, but it still has the same requirements, particularly at higher level when there are such enormous financial implications. operational functionality requires more than just aesthetics, which is where we are. So the question is, does our current coach have what it takes to succeed, or is he just making sure to practice due diligence in order to tick a few boxes. It seems to me we're sliding down the same path we did with Chris Houghton, but this time with more and better players.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There's no doubt that if 30 000 people were in the ground last night they would have made a difference. There woulkd likely as not have been 10 000 booing at the end, more than half those in the ground.

Or alternatively the place would have been bouncing as Albion, yet again, had attack after attack. So I agree they would have made a difference. As in other marginal games, Fulham would have been bricking it, Albion would have been lifted by the noise and that could well have been just enough to edge it.

It’s strange the Potter detractors feel there’d be widespread discontent during the game all the time we’re creating the chances we do. What a weird crowd that would be.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No, I don't think it would be good.

Potter put a team on the pitch who are more than capable of getting the win. How on EARTH can you blame him for, say, Maupay and Trossard missing the chances they had?

You cannot sack players, now what?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I see Maupay going backwards as he's not delivering as well as he was last season, which was his transition season, if you like, as it was Potters the clubs and all the other players.. I saw the desire, (but no killer instinct) just not the required application to succeed. sadly it's a recurring theme.

He's 3 goals away from matching his goal tally from last season, with 18 games left...

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

I think he's very lucky to have an empty stadium at the moment as sheer vitriol that would have been directed at him after last nights substitution ("YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING") would hopefully have tipped the boring tosser over the edge. I don't think it would have been lost on the players either.

Just look at the poll on here. Most want him in

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm a design engineer . . . I could sit her, designing, detailing, drawing away for a month or two and produce something that looks fantastic, goes together ok, but doesn't work, or operate to the required specification, or perform to the required standard. I'd be on the dole pretty damned quick, the operational requirements are as key to my success as anything, TBH on an industrial level aesthetics matter less, but operational practicality is important, if it looks right it usually is.

Football is not a precise art, but it still has the same requirements, particularly at higher level when there are such enormous financial implications. operational functionality requires more than just aesthetics, which is where we are. So the question is, does our current coach have what it takes to succeed, or is he just making sure to practice due diligence in order to tick a few boxes. It seems to me we're sliding down the same path we did with Chris Houghton, but this time with more and better players.

"Hughton" - Also, to use your analogy, you can design a perfect strategy and create the perfect product, you can have all the parts fitting in the right places and build it perfectly, but if the part that makes it actually succeed and that was provided and paid for by your suppliers is sub-standard, is that the designer's fault or the suppliers?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
"Hughton" - Also, to use your analogy, you can design a perfect strategy and create the perfect product, you can have all the parts fitting in the right places and build it perfectly, but if the part that makes it actually succeed and that was provided and paid for by your suppliers is sub-standard, is that the designer's fault or the suppliers?

well if spec is right, and procurement get it right its suppliers, doesn't work for football though does it. Either way, you either replace the parts or change the design. I will continue to believe the design needs changing until the performance gets the results, because we're not going to change the parts.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017

Ridiculous post. I’m all for freedom of speech but this is a fine example of silliness. If we were not creating any chances or worse still playing good ball and defending for draws every game I would agree. However our issues are turning a huge number of chances into goals. That is the issue not Potter.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He's 3 goals away from matching his goal tally from last season, with 18 games left...

take penalties out of that and he's not.

I want him to succeed as much as anyone, but it looks like we're flogging a dead horse at the moment.

not helped by no competition.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
well if spec is right, and procurement get it right its suppliers, doesn't work for football though does it. Either way, you either replace the parts or change the design. I will continue to believe the design needs changing until the performance gets the results, because we're not going to change the parts.

This is the thing though. If your budget means your procurement can only get a part that's below the standard required, it's still not the designers fault is it?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Calling [MENTION=34942]Dr. No[/MENTION]

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Wow.... speak for yourself. What does a new manager do exactly? Tell the strikers to score? Why didnt Potter think of that?!

We seem solid defending at the moment, our transition through midfield is decent, we're controlling games as much you'd expect a team of our level, and we're creating decent scoring opportunities. Its just the strikers composure in front of goal that's lacking.

Yes - the strikers that he picked to start last night couldn't score in a brothel. BUT Potter had a myriad of attacking options sat on the bench but he was obviously happy with the attackers that had demonstrated they were incapable of scoring.

Now I know there was no guarantee that if he had stuck a couple of Connolly, Swiss Andy, Percy or sicknote on for last 20 minutes that they would have scored and won us the game. But who here, in Potter's shoes, wouldn't have tried to change something?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Unfortunately that's the correct answer. Bloom made a huge boo boo with that contract extension.

Absolutely. Removed all the pressure.

If you know your job is safe for five years, or if you are sacked you will walk away with 5 years wedge, it's really not any motivation is it?

And I really hate criticising TB but he clearly called this one wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here