Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing station today

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Think this may be an accident, the train which hit the person was stopping at the station, seems rather odd that someone would jump in front of a slow moving train delibrately.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Apparently it was the 08:33 train from Brighton to Southampton that was involved, I'd have been on that train had I been going to work today.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The journalists at the Argus really are 2nd rate. Why report a fatality when there hasn't been one? If they got the 'info' from the Emergency services then the person who gave out the incorrect information is an idiot.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The paragraph below may be a simplistic attitude?: I accept that anyone who wishes to take their own life must be deeply troubled mentally & everyone who is contemplating suicide has different issue's that have caused them to become so depressed, they consider taking their own life. BUT:

Are they not the most selfish people ever? They have no consideration for the heartbreak & distress they cause to those Family & Friends they leave behind, plus also, those railway staff & members of the public who will have witnessed this incident & who will be traumatised for a very long time, possibly forever.

Selfish buggers. Holding all that inner pain and anguish inside them until they feel jumping in front of a train is the only way out.
Nothing rational about any of it so how can blame be laid.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Thats why it's called mental illness. If you're thinking straight you don't kill yourself.

It's more complex than that. I'd say that people that are planning on taking their own life have thought it through, left suicide notes and ARE thinking straight to a degree. In the build-up to their deaths it's probably the happiest they've felt for a long time which is very sad. So many times you hear of "They seemed alright last week" etc when they've got everything planned. We've never found out what really happened to Gary Speed. He was on Football Focus the day before looking happy.

Difficult subject as Bozza phoned me earlier this year when I was feeling at my lowest point ever after a PM to someone put them in an impossible situation.

Arfurfuxsake

Apr 28, 2008
Littlehampton
I was working on the lift at the station and saw him jump. Fuckin horrific! Literally 10 ft away on the same platform. It definitely wasn't an accident. He waited for the train, the guard who was signing my paperwork screamed at him 'get away from the edge' and with that he just jumped! That noise of the train hitting him then running over him was horrific!

Last edited:

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
The paragraph below may be a simplistic attitude?: I accept that anyone who wishes to take their own life must be deeply troubled mentally & everyone who is contemplating suicide has different issue's that have caused them to become so depressed, they consider taking their own life. BUT:

Are they not the most selfish people ever? They have no consideration for the heartbreak & distress they cause to those Family & Friends they leave behind, plus also, those railway staff & members of the public who will have witnessed this incident & who will be traumatised for a very long time, possibly forever.

Having once been a person who fell into depressive cycle that almost resulted in his death, I can assure you that the desire to 'end it all' bases itself round a desire for a certain end and not it's repercussion. It is not a rational act and if it could encompass rational thinking it wouldn't take place anyway.

No suicide is selfish.

I was working on the lift at the station and saw him jump. Fuckin horrific! Literally 10 ft away on the same platform. It definitely wasn't an accident. He waited for the train, the guard who was signing my paperwork screamed at him 'get away from the edge' and with that he just jumped! That noise of the train hitting him then running over him was horrific!

Really sorry that you had to witness something like that! It's so horrific for everyone involved (witnesses, family and especially the driver of the train!!) Hope you have a good Christmas regardless of a nightmare inducing situation!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Really sorry that you had to witness something like that! It's so horrific for everyone involved (witnesses, family and especially the driver of the train!!) Hope you have a good Christmas regardless of a nightmare inducing situation!

It isnt a nice thing to witness, saw one happen at Wimbledon station a few months ago - wasnt nice but its just one of those things that unfortunately happens. More of this happens tends to happen in Winter too it seems.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The severe illness (not just feeling a bit sad where an banal "cheer up mate" would fall on deaf ears) led the poor soul to take desperate measures to end the anguish and pain.

Inherently in that severe state there can be no rational thinking as to the effect on those left behind to pick up the pieces, or some 'poor' train traveller who got to his destination a little late.

Cheers for your comments. Wide awake all night. Think this may take a while to leave the mind... Merry Christmas :-(

Sorry to hear that you witnessed something so tragic as this. Wrong place wrong time, but what could you have done? A friend of mine is a tube driver & says that most drivers experience a jumper during a full working life. Must be awful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here