Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing Rugby Union Thread

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
3rd division is a pretty good standard, stuff starts to get very serious now, the squad will be getting paid.

We were injury struck too, our decent number 11 broke his finger and there were several more missing, a fantastic win I'm bloody buzzing!

It is a very tough league as The Students found out the hard way at first. You can look forward to some great rugby, played in the right way. Enjoy!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Worthing Twitter Feed:

Worthing RFC ‏@worthingrfc

Final score........ Stourbridge 25 - Worthing 27. We've done it!!! Well done Boys - last kick of the game brought the win.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Amended two minutes later:

Worthing RFC ‏@worthingrfc

Final score Stourbridge 26 - Worthing 28. RAIDERS promoted to National Division One.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
well done to the team, and i'm assuming the fly half. balls of steel to make a kick like that.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
wrfc.jpg

What's that then?

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
Here's the details of those last few moments when Worthing got the try posted by a neutral who attended on the divison's forum:

I had the pleasure of going to the game as a neutral and it was a great game of rugby. The last 10 minutes were very exciting. Isuspect that neither team were at their best. The pressure of a winner-takes-all, one off game was clear to see for both sides.

With about 10 minutes to go, Stourbridge were 23-21 up and their forwards managed to fashion a penalty to take the game to 26-21. From the kick-off they tried to control the game with forwards taking the ball up the park and were making a great fist of it until a slight lapse of concetration from Mukarati (I think), playing as No 8, meant he got isolated just out side the Worthing 22 and was penalised for holding onto the ball. This allowed Worthing to get good field position for a line out. The forwards tried to pummel their way over the line, without success but when they got it out wide, the Worthing back's seemed to have got the ball over the line only for the ref to deem the ball had been held up.

At this point there was 42 minutes on the Stourbridge clock. This is usually quite an accurate reflection of the ref's time but on this occason the ref deemed that there was enough time to have the scrum. From here the ball was fed to the back's where the Worthing 12 squeezed over to tie scores. With the score being right under the posts the kick was a formality and the whistle was blown to signal the end of the match.

Heart felt commiserations to Stourbridge and congratulations to Worthing. There was really very little between the two sides and any suggestion that one league at level 4 is any better than the other on the basis of this game is pure speculation and somewhat mischievous.

Have a great summer everyone and roll on September.

Goes to show how late it really was!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Well done worthing! I've been following them this season although rugby isnt my bag for reasons I can't disclose and am very pleased for them!

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Congratulations to Worthing, I'm really pleased-having just returned from Leicester after seeing Harlequins meek surrender this news has cheered me reet up.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well done, Worthing!

On the previous Worthing RFC thread I mentioned something about Manchester RFC and their demise. Quite a fall from a heady height of the third tier.

12/13 P26 W2 L24
11/12 P26 W2 L24
10/11 P30 W0 L30
09/10 P30 W0 L30

One of the oldest rugby clubs in the country and since their fall from National League One, losing all their games with a PD of -2,000 they've ended up in the North West League and still can't win for toffee.

Watched a fair amount of National League One and hope Worthing can make the step up. There are some good teams there with a fair bit of money sloshing about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here