Worthing pre season friendly

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
WHAT!!!! And Crawley isn't in the potential catchment area for Falmer? If that was the arguement then everywhere in Sussex is in the cartchment area, we sould be playing friendlies at Eastbourne, Bognor, Chichester, Worthing and Crawley. But it isn't the agenda, it is becauase RS doesn't want to play a BSS team, plus our arrangement on reserve matches has changed. Crawley would provide far better opposition for a friendly, allowing RS to better assess new players etc.

Nobody is disputing the fact of the standard of opposition given by Crawley etc but you are wrong on it being a catchement area of potential Seagull fans. It should be, but until we are in the Premiership the people of Crawley will contionue to class them selves as 'Londoners' and support a Londion based successful club.

RS has said about the standard of opposition given by the likes of Worthing but if it was played very early into the training schedule as used as a practice match even changing all 11 players at half time it wopuld have the benfit of starting to play together as all teams have to start somewhere. Even a midweek game prior to the first arranged friendly would be benficial to everybody.

I do not know for sure but past experience tells me that probably more supporters come from Worthing than any other single town outside of Brighton and Hove, certainly more than Bognor who mainly follow Pompey.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Nobody is disputing the fact of the standard of opposition given by Crawley etc but you are wrong on it being a catchement area of potential Seagull fans. It should be, but until we are in the Premiership the people of Crawley will contionue to class them selves as 'Londoners' and support a Londion based successful club.

RS has said about the standard of opposition given by the likes of Worthing but if it was played very early into the training schedule as used as a practice match even changing all 11 players at half time it wopuld have the benfit of starting to play together as all teams have to start somewhere. Even a midweek game prior to the first arranged friendly would be benficial to everybody.

I do not know for sure but past experience tells me that probably more supporters come from Worthing than any other single town outside of Brighton and Hove, certainly more than Bognor who mainly follow Pompey.

Once again I have to agree. I doubt that given it's proximity to London that many people from Crawley would be interested in Brighton unless they were already fans. It's more likely they would follow Chavtal Palarse.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What do you mean "You are wrong" ? Nonsense, there are plenty of Albion fans in Crawley, and many who attend Withdean week in week out. Stop telling people things are "wrong" when what you mean is "in your opinion it is wrong".

Personally I am disapointed that the Worthing game is not going to happen, but at least we will play a better standard of team in Crawley. As for the catchment area, were Charlton not recruiting fans in Worthing a while back, or somewhere else in Sussex? The whole of Sussex is our catchement area. And if we are trying to "steal" fans from Worthing, Lewes, Bognor etc, then why not try and "steal" some from Crawley too?

BHAExpress, that too is a sweeping statement, why would they naturally support CP, when if London clubs are so attractive they might support Spurs, Chelsea etc, over CP? The truth is, there are fans of all sorts of teams in Crawley, I know a QPR fan who religiously follows them, but lives in Crawley, as well as Brighton fans.

Still not sure what the problem with Crawley is, if you can make it to Worthing, Lewes, or Bognor, surely you can make it to Crawley with your lad? And see the new players, and stand....

Oh, I will buddy and we'll look forward to it. I have just enjoyed those pre-season games, but hey onwards an' all that. TBH still can't wait for it all to start again!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BHAExpress, that too is a sweeping statement, why would they naturally support CP, when if London clubs are so attractive they might support Spurs, Chelsea etc, over CP? The truth is, there are fans of all sorts of teams in Crawley, I know a QPR fan who religiously follows them, but lives in Crawley, as well as Brighton fans.

Locationwise they are much more likely to support Palace mainly because some of the 'Yout' in Crawley realise that it's highly inferior as a place of residence to Brighton. I used to live in the area and have heard this many times.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Superphil I must apologise as yes you are correct it is my opinion but having said that I go to Crawley quite often shopping, free bus pass, and cannot remember the last time I saw somebody wearing a BHA, hat, T shirt or any other club garment but I see many Chelsea, Arsenal and Crystal Palace.

I noticed you didnt pass comment on my suggestion that it should be an additional fixture early in the training schedule.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I noticed you didnt pass comment on my suggestion that it should be an additional fixture early in the training schedule.

As an additional fixture, even as a training match, it would be great, can't fault that idea at all. Sadly you get the impression that the club has gone with RS request that we only play BSS+ teams in pre-season. Maybe he hasn't had it explained just how much we enjoy the Worthing game,

As an additional fixture, even as a training match, it would be great, can't fault that idea at all. Sadly you get the impression that the club has gone with RS request that we only play BSS+ teams in pre-season. Maybe he hasn't had it explained just how much we enjoy the Worthing game,

Even if it has been explained to him how much WE enjoy the Worthing game I would still expect him to make decisions based on what is best for the team, not us.

Shame about the Worthing game, I live 5 minutes walk from there and always enjoy it, but if RS thinks that it's a waste of time and cons of the game far outweigh the pros then I'm happy for it to be binned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports