Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing pre season friendly

Squeakseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Apologies if I have missed any comments on this - not looked at web site for weeks - but anyone know why there isn't one this season? I was really looking forward to this one.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
We only had the friendly due to the reserves playing at Worthing, which they will no longer do and RS only wants to play teams that are in the Conference South or higher

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Couldn't we play a Summer charity game against Worthing or something? Much more agreeable than a trip to shitty old Crawley.

Couldn't we play a Summer charity game against Worthing or something? Much more agreeable than a trip to shitty old Crawley.

Pretty much what happened previously, except the charity was Worthing FC :D

Would do no harm starting with a small game then rising up levels IMO.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that we should play Worthing if only because they are in the catchment area that we will be looking for supporters in within 2 years to fill Falmer.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'd rather play a side who will give us more of a game to be honest. Playing Worthing is not much more than a training game.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I don't see why we can't send an Albion XI (made up from the reserves and under 18's) to play Worthing in pre-season. They get their annual game and it keeps the fans happy.

I don't see why we can't send an Albion XI (made up from the reserves and under 18's) to play Worthing in pre-season. They get their annual game and it keeps the fans happy.

Pretty much what our fans have said. An albion side of some kind will still attract attention from local fans and albion fans who enjoy going to Worthing!!

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
Do you think sending an Albion XI made up off reserves and under 18's would have the same appeal, on past meetings i know first team prob played 1st half followed by mixture of the above for 2nd half,such that the fixture is still quite early players not fit enough to last full game, at least you got to see new players turning out, non event springs to mind if fans didn't get to see first team. Worthing claiming in local rag that there losing £15,000 for the game not going ahead not sure it would be half that amount if no Albion first team played.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I believe that we should play Worthing if only because they are in the catchment area that we will be looking for supporters in within 2 years to fill Falmer.

WHAT!!!! And Crawley isn't in the potential catchment area for Falmer? If that was the arguement then everywhere in Sussex is in the cartchment area, we sould be playing friendlies at Eastbourne, Bognor, Chichester, Worthing and Crawley. But it isn't the agenda, it is becauase RS doesn't want to play a BSS team, plus our arrangement on reserve matches has changed. Crawley would provide far better opposition for a friendly, allowing RS to better assess new players etc.

Shame there's no Worthing, Bognor or Lewes pre-season games this year. I always take my lad, there's something about having a look at the new payers and standing at lower league clubs grounds that signifies the new season is about to start.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Shame there's no Worthing, Bognor or Lewes pre-season games this year. I always take my lad, there's something about having a look at the new payers and standing at lower league clubs grounds that signifies the new season is about to start.

Still not sure what the problem with Crawley is, if you can make it to Worthing, Lewes, or Bognor, surely you can make it to Crawley with your lad? And see the new players, and stand....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Well said, good thinking that man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here