Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Worst player, in context, to debase the stripes

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Crikey, it's a tough one... Graeme Smith was an awful keeper but I never got the feeling that he wasn't trying, he just wasn't very good. Leon Best and Chuba Akpom stand out because they never looked like trying. As others have said, Akpom was the only player I've come close to booing. Whenever he was brought on by Hughton, you knew for certain that his interest in the game was gone. The charlatan even got a Championship runner-up up medal with us and two, TWO FA Cup winners medals!

Astoundingly, he's still playing at Championship standard with Boro this season and has scored 2 in 4.

For us though? Dross. Utter and complete dross.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I know he scored goals for us but for me Leon Knight was probably the biggest disgrace to the stripes for openly saying he hoped we got relegated after he left us.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The correct answer is Michael Mahoney-Johnson whose only contribution to the Albion was grazing in the centre circle the pissfield. He was a crime against not only the Albion but also football in general. We had him on loan from QPR and it has soured my view of them ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I know he scored goals for us but for me Leon Knight was probably the biggest disgrace to the stripes for openly saying he hoped we got relegated after he left us.

I hear you but, for one season at least, he was a fantastic striker for us. Possibly one of the best strikers I've seen for us actually

Horrendous attitude obviously which has somehow got WORSE since leaving us

We actually made a small profit on him I believe- pretty sure it was only us and Chelsea that actually sold him for a fee in his entire career

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'd say Vicente.

Barely played.
Terrible attitude.
Relied on past glories
Famous for hitting the bar against Derby. Well Done Vince, I can also miss.
Wanted to leave.
Achieved nothing.
Probably cost loads.

And now wait.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'd say Vicente.

Barely played.
Terrible attitude.
Relied on past glories
Famous for hitting the bar against Derby. Well Done Vince, I can also miss.
Wanted to leave.
Achieved nothing.
Probably cost loads.

And now wait.

ban him

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
CKR and that one who was dating Holly Willoughby

Jonny Dixon and he was dating Holly Valance.

I'm going to nominate Ryan Harley, absolute dog shit. Scored on his league debut and then spent his other dozen or so appearances appearing to not give a toss.

Loan wise it's a three way tie between Leon Best, Chuba Akpom and Jon Obika.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I hear you but, for one season at least, he was a fantastic striker for us. Possibly one of the best strikers I've seen for us actually

Horrendous attitude obviously which has somehow got WORSE since leaving us

We actually made a small profit on him I believe- pretty sure it was only us and Chelsea that actually sold him for a fee in his entire career

Like I say I know he scored goals, and he did have a good season with us.

But personally though i never thought he was that great, I can think of at least 10 strikers off the top of my head who were better than him.

Sorry, I didn't want to dismiss your opinion there, he just really grinds my gears.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In terms of debasing the stripes it's Glen Thomas.

In context (by which, I presume the OP means "pound for pound") then it's DJ Strollabout

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Diouf red was at Elland Road.

Who was the oaf, playing for Blackburn I think, who got a red a the Amex. I thought it was spitman?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Jonny Dixon and he was dating Holly Valance.

I'm going to nominate Ryan Harley, absolute dog shit. Scored on his league debut and then spent his other dozen or so appearances appearing to not give a toss.

Loan wise it's a three way tie between Leon Best, Chuba Akpom and Jon Obika.

I knew it was a Holly but the wrong one. Thanks

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In my short time it must be Locadia... but I always want to give a shout to Martin Montoya as well, he was a proper not so good player.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Locadia did look for a month near Christmas that time and Savage was brilliant in his first game.

I think Leon Best

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
the thing with Best is that, in a season of really disappointing players and in particular forwards, he somehow managed to stand out as being the worst of a terrible bunch

mind blowingly shit

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In terms of debasing the stripes it's Glen Thomas.

In context (by which, I presume the OP means "pound for pound") then it's DJ Strollabout

Indeed. I outlined the criteria specifically so Thomas could be disregarded. :lolol:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Like I say I know he scored goals, and he did have a good season with us.

But personally though i never thought he was that great, I can think of at least 10 strikers off the top of my head who were better than him.

Sorry, I didn't want to dismiss your opinion there, he just really grinds my gears.

yeh I wouldn't disagree with any of that. It's certainly true that after we got promoted to the Championship he got sussed out a bit I think- only managed a handful of goals and eventually got shifted out to the wing which pissed him off

even in the play off promotion season where he scored a lot of goals, I seem to remember his form tailing off towards the end of the season and him nearly being dropped for the play offs

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Leon Best, absolute Cart Horse. Graeme Smith as well, Mr. Poppadom hands.

We used to call him "The Hologram" where I sat. Every shot on goal just seemed to pass through him.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here