Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Worst player, in context, to debase the stripes

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
1: Transfer - Locadia value and talent absolutely did not add up.
2: Loan - Darren Bent fained injury during a game at home, and did not want to be here at all (he seems like a really nice guy though, probably a move he did not want)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
1: Transfer - Locadia value and talent absolutely did not add up.
2: Loan - Darren Bent fained injury during a game at home, and did not want to be here at all (he seems like a really nice guy though, probably a move he did not want)

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Also a goal against Arsenal to get a draw, Everton to get a win and Derby in the cup to secure a win.

He scored some important goals despite not scoring many.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It would probably be traditional to go back in time and dig our some tawdry journeyman who flew in flew out somewhere in our tumultuous history ... a Robbie Savage or similar...... BUT... by a country mile, the very presence of Jurgen Locadia in our squad, getting paid by the Albion for being a waster, back bedroom DJ was the biggest affront to decency I gave witnessed since I regularly started watching footy in 1978..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Mickey Thomas.

Hated him when he was at Wrexham, hated when he was at Utd and hated when we signed the slimy cheat.
But he should be forgiven shouldn't he?... for scoring the winner against the mighty Barnet in an FA Cup replay.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Another vote for Robbie Savage, the Lawrence Lewellyn Bowen of the footballing world. Flouncy ponce.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chuba Akpom, not one ounce of effort.

Winner for me because he was the closest I’ve come to booing an Albion player. Piss taker extraordinaire, zero effort every time I saw him on the pitch, which fortunately was not that often.

Actually one in a string of Arsenal loanees that was rubbish. Flatts, Sidwell and Dickov being the exceptions

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This will always stand out as a low point, our last home game of 2005/06, a shocker of a campaign.

View attachment 150959

Were Noel-Williams and Nicolas masquerading as footballers?

That's what you call a side in transition. The last knockings of a brilliant team we had put together, with a smattering of random loanees and short term purchases, a short time before the "Wilkins young players from Sussex" season

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
This will always stand out as a low point, our last home game of 2005/06, a shocker of a campaign.

View attachment 150959

Were Noel-Williams and Nicolas masquerading as footballers?

think Noel-Williams had arthritis or something which ruined his career. I actually remember him being vaguely alright that season and it being a bit of a shame that we signed him so late in the campaign when we were massively lacking in fire power

Nicolas was a decent player but I think he wasn't massively passionate about it, and I think quit football altogether shortly after leaving us to pursue a career in the city

all in all that was a drab season though- the dying embers of the early great early Withdean sides and a team that just couldn't financially compete

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I do think Locadia is our worst ever signing when taking context into account.

We've had many shit players, and in particular, strikers. But a lot of those were in a time where we were forced to take punts on random players due to our financial constraints. Then you have some of the crap early amex signings in the Championship, and yes some of them were awful....Obika, Best, Agustein, Gardner, Dobbie to mention a few...but most of them were fairly low cost signings or loans. Bent probably didn't want to be here but despite only playing 4 games he did manage to be one of our top scorers that season and he did at least have some quality. Akpom deserves a mention due to being shit and lazy in a brilliant side who were scoring goals for fun- surely you'd bust a gut to make a name for yourself in that situation?

And then we move on to the Premier League era and Locadia- who cost a LOT of money and did clearly have some quality but there was just clearly something missing there. This is an era where we could be attracting high calibre players in the highest profile league on earth and yet we managed to spaff a load on some social media dickhead who stunk the place out for years and didn't even look any good in MLS

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who was that dreadful CH we had around the same time? .........ah ............. Colin Hawkins! It's just come to me!

Honourable (!) mention for Dale Jasper - our version of Butch Wilkins - all passes short, and either sideways or back. Except he didn't pass to his own team, not very often anyway.

Jason Dodd was worse. He arrived, played a couple of games, and then had a bad back for the rest of the season. What a waste of money. I include Kitson in that category too.

We've had a few duff keepers including Blayney, Flinders, and Graeme Smith.

CKR and that one who was dating Holly Willoughby

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
When you factor in money, it’s hard to look past Locadia. But Akpom was a different level of shite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here