Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst experience as a dog owner?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat dog, when given the opportunity, would eat the contents of the kitchen swing bin.
He'd then be left with the bin lid round his neck like a poor mans gangsta.

Lionel had one fit too many back in the summer, and it's taken me until earlier this week to realise I can use the bin again.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Under control is very different to on a lead. You can be in full control of a dog without it being on the lead. Dogs sniff and eat things it's natural. No matter how fast you react you won't react as quickly as the dog they are too fast. Just not very nice when it happens to be sick in the middle of a public promenade.

You have either never had a dog and if you have then I feel sorry for them.

I have a dog [springer], when we walk he is on the lead but I let him off when we get to some decent open space [eg empty field].
Once he found a dead rabbit - "LEAVE" command was shouted followed by "COME" - because he was within sight at all times and obedient = no bother.

Was I cross I found a dead rabbit in a field, no. Would I be cross if we found puke on the pavement? No. A simple "LEAVE" is all I need.

One other point - puke, as disgusting as it is, is only someone else's undigested food - IT WONT HARM YOU OR YOUR DOG.

Eating a rotting animal, on the other hand, if much more likely to cause "runny bum".

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Working an old Springer of mine a few years back, he retrieved a duck, handed it over, I turned round and when I turned back the poor old fella was dead...massive heart attack. Heartbreaking having to carry him back about a mile to the van.

The only good thing was he died doing what he loved doing.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
it's better than pulling it's ploppies from it's bum because he's eaten a plastic bag, or something else undigestable.

If you don't feed them too much wet food it's fairly gag free. You can always tell a dog who is fed exclusively wet food and gravy as their shit thunders out of their a-holes like the missippi just broke it's banks. And it smells worse than a week of yellow shitstorms.

You get used to it.

Sorry you haven't convinced me. :lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Remember one of my parents dogs getting really really ill. Couldn't figure out why. Vet couldn't either. Turns out the lad from next door who would come over sometimes, only about 8 yrs old was feeding her grapes from the fruit bowl. Very dangerous for dogs apparently. Little ****.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Remember one of my parents dogs getting really really ill. Couldn't figure out why. Vet couldn't either. Turns out the lad from next door who would come over sometimes, only about 8 yrs old was feeding her grapes from the fruit bowl. Very dangerous for dogs apparently. Little ****.

Not that I know anything about dogs but isn't chocolate supposed to be poisonous for them ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not that I know anything about dogs but isn't chocolate supposed to be poisonous for them ?

Yes, I believe so although my old Saluki ate a whole box of Christmas chocolates on year, did a really gopping shit and was dandy!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That kid next door was odd. I used to call him The Midwich Cuckoo. Every time I turned around he was there, creeply little goblin. First time I ever met him I was up visiting my parents, sat in the kitchen about 7 am. Back door opens, kid walks in.says hi, makes himself a cup of tea and goes into the front room. Odd.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had 2 sirloin steaks from the fridge resting on the side before cooking...

...I take it I don't have to finish this post.
Lil fooker, at least this time t'was the black one.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
My dog would shit and then turn around and try to eat it.......and when we were running free in the woods, if she ever found a pile of fox crap - heaven help us - I'd have to hose her off with detergent - for some reason she found the foul mess an alluring perfume to be rolled around in - and ingested. WTF?

Is your dog called Ernest?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Our springer, Jake, has brought to our back door a blackbird, a pigeon and a rat, all dead and intact which is not too gross. But I drew the line at the long-dead squirrel he came bounding out the woods with - stiff as a board, I thought it was a big stick at first. Fox poo rolling and poo eating seems to be a speciality of the staffs.

Worst experience was watching Rocco dying slowly of a blood condition that the vet could not diagnose. He was getting iller and iller by the day. But there was a happy ending, he had a blood transfusion while having a bone biopsy - and just got better! Still no idea what was wrong with him but just felt so helpless.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
The chemical theobromine found in chocolate is poisonous to humans too, in extremely large doses. Dogs process it a lot slower than humans, but it still takes a fair amount for a dog to be fatally poisoned by it, a few bars even for a small dog. I wouldn't give it to a dog purely because they'd get a taste for it, and it isn't fair - but the odd bit of chocolate won't do it any harm.
Our Newf stole a chocolate orange and ate all of it, but they are quite a big dog

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
My Saluki used to run like an effing whippet, not surprising seeing as they were originally bred, surprisingly as sport sled racers in Alaska, anyway I digress. As soon as she was off the lead up in Norfolk she would pelt across the beach. Inevitably returning with fish, rats, rabbits and invariably having rolled in fox shit.
The Saluki is the most elegant, graceful and fastest dog I have seen. The only dog that could outrun our lurcher.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Saluki is the most elegant, graceful and fastest dog I have seen. The only dog that could outrun our lurcher.

They really are fast. We used to let her off the lead on the Norfolk beaches and she was just gone! And as you say, very graceful.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Our lurcher is Greyhound-Saluki-Collie cross and we used to meet a female Saluki when walking on Stokes Bay at Gosport, occasionally with one or 2 other Greyhounds. Awesome to watch 3 or 4 dogs running together at up to 40mph! The Saluki could outrun anything and yet looked so delicate.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If you don't feed them too much wet food it's fairly gag free. You can always tell a dog who is fed exclusively wet food and gravy as their shit thunders out of their a-holes like the missippi just broke it's banks. And it smells worse than a week of yellow shitstorms.

You have a way with words Nibble!! :ohmy:
I was going to have something to eat until I read this.:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here