Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst England defeat ever?

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
This is exactly the result I was expecting since I saw the way we played against Slovakia. I don't even feel gutted anymore like I usually do, I was actually happy for Iceland as I visited the place in February and the Icelandic people are so welcoming and friendly. They wanted it more than us and they deserved to go through despite playing the most boring football I've ever seen at an international tournament, still, who am I to complain when it's got them to the quarter finals. I'll be adopting them as 'my team' for the rest of the tournament. As for England, I couldn't give a shit anymore, I lost all love, pride and passion for them after Brazil two years ago and at 51 years old I've finally accepted that I'll never live to see them win a major tournament, they're bloody useless, always have been and always will be.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
For shock value, only the 1950 FIFA World Cup defeat to the USA can compare to Hodgson's Iceland debacle.

And like the above loss, this will be remebered 66+ years from now.

Quite fitting for Hodgson. The 2014 World Cup overall performance under him was the worst in England's history, and now this abysmal defeat against Iceland to cap off another disastrous campaign.

We've had terrible managers before, but Woy has to be one of the worst. Who knows, maybe oneday the word "Hodgson" might enter the English language as a byword for failure.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We need to get the ego's out the team. For me that means Sturridge, Sterling, and Wilshere for starters. Contrary to opinion, I actually think Rooney cares. I worry Vardy has let the attention get to him.

The team needs to be built around the Tottenham players for the next few years.

I would put Kane in the ego box as well.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I blame those terrible kits

Sent by 2 old baked bean cans and a piece of string

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Can't remember a worse one in my lifetime at tournament level...that said it has been proved by Leicester Albion and now Iceland that team spirit is the most important ingredient...Obviously Iceland had a bit of ability and their goals were decent despite the defending.

Perhaps we could do better with League 1 and Championship players for the interim.

Perhaps not all but at least they would look like they gave a f**k.
Just look at the Italian team singing their National anthem before the Spain match and then at our lot mumbling a bit.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Perhaps not all but at least they would look like they gave a f**k.
Just look at the Italian team singing their National anthem before the Spain match and then at our lot mumbling a bit.

tbf, our anthem is a bit shit, especially if you're a republican atheist.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
For me it was the obvious fact that after so much time for preparation, the resource available and the experience that they have collectively, the team appeared to have no real idea of what to do to break down the Icelandic defence. I have read that Iceland were the most boring team, however they had more clear attempts on goal and did not stop attacking until the end of the match.
Questions on how these players can play so well for their club, but not their country were asked by the pundits last night. The same players surrounded by overseas players, setting them up, in a well rehearsed routine, with managers giving similar instructions to the squad every week. Are our selected players unable to understand a different way/style of playing, do they respect the international management? How many times does Harry Kane have to send a free kick wayward until the instruction comes from the bench to change to plan B. Its a shame that we lost but at least it cuts short the agony. Like some of the players, I've lost interest in international football, roll on the start of our season.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I would rank this one as the worst in my time (I go back to 1966) if only because we really didn't look as if we were going to score (did their keeper make one great save?). Our penalty was lucky in that Sterling was never going to score in that position. (To be frank Sterling is never going to score in any position.)
So the result was indeed awful but the performance was if anything worse. And then Roy's pre-prepared speech somehow just made it all worse as he walks off with his £x million. Plus there's gloomy context: not a great time to be a Labour voting/'Remain' advocating England supporter.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
I've just read that there isn't a single professional football club in Iceland, their goalkeeper is a part-time film director, and one of their coaches works as a dentist.

Someone compared this defeat to draw against Poland, Wembley 1973--let me just remind you that Poland was the 1972 football Olympic Champion (and back then first teams played at Olympics) and took third place at 1974 World Cup. So, yesterday's defeat against Iceland is MUCH worse.

Poland, the 'clown' goalie.

Oh, and Tomaszewski, clown or not, wasn't a film director but a full-time professional footballer and one of the best goalkeepers in Polish NT's history.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've been following England away for 10 years. It's rarely been about football and more about some great trips with great mates. I am now seriously considering binning it off given in my opinion things will get worse with the inevitable appointment of Gareth Southgate, which had McLaren mk2 written all over it.

I was concerned after Brazil that Hodgson & Lewington were a bit of a dinosaur pair now, no new fresh ideas and effective (against minnows) but simple football. I got even more concerned with some of his choices, taking Wilshere & Stirling for example. Even more so watching Kane take free kicks and corners in the friendlies. But what I witnessed against Russia, Slovakia and then Iceland summed up all my concerns. Very predictable football out to Rose or Walker who then get surrounded by 2 defenders and have to go back. Players that seem unable to beat their man and at most of the game played at walking pace.

Rooney as captain should have grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and dragged us through, stopped Kane taking set pieces and got everyone going. Instead he seemed unable to trap a football.

I can't think of anyone I would actually want to be manager.

Lee Dixon summed it up very well for me to be honest, we had no settled formation, no first 11 that seemed to gel, didn't know who the best players were. Do we not realise that is what the qualifiers and friendlies are for? To work that shit out.

Oh and the FA have reminders everyone to enjoy their £10 renewal discount to do so before the 17th July...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Northern Ireland in 2005 anyone?

That's the one I was going to post, and watched with my great N Irish friend, I really felt for him after that night, he couldn't really celebrate properly in a Brighton pub!! We were terrible that night and it was not a good NI team.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What I find so depressing is that now all the Premiership clubs will be out there looking at the players in the euros on the "he looks quite good we'll buy him" premise.

In the meantime all the hungry decent lower league players will be denied the opportunity to play at a higher level. How many more Vardys are out there?

Rashford was our best player last night and he was on the pitch for 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I thought when the PL teams butt burgled the lower leagues by forcing them into The Elite Player Performance Plan that was supposed to produce all these star players because the PL clubs are so awesome at producing world class talent.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
England 1 Poland 1 in 1973 wasn't a defeat but it was pretty seismic

My earliest memory of a football match. I was 6 and had never seen my Dad lose his temper before.
Yeah, that was worse. We KNEW we were going to beat them, after all we were England who'd got to the QFs of the last World Cup, won the one before that and had come third in Europe - and two of those achievements were seen as failures at the time! Poland were just a load of unknown Commies.

It was an incredible shock. It's hard to convey it now to people who weren't alive at the time how much of a shock it was. Mighty England held by little Poland. The world turned upside-down. The fact it's happened again and again and again means things like the Iceland result don't resonate as much with me. And of course Poland went on to come 3rd in the 1974 WC, I wonder where Iceland will finish?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here