Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst England defeat ever?

Stumpy Tim

We need to get the ego's out the team. For me that means Sturridge, Sterling, and Wilshere for starters. Contrary to opinion, I actually think Rooney cares. I worry Vardy has let the attention get to him.

The team needs to be built around the Tottenham players for the next few years.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We need to get the ego's out the team. For me that means Sturridge, Sterling, and Wilshere for starters. Contrary to opinion, I actually think Rooney cares. I worry Vardy has let the attention get to him.

The team needs to be built around the Tottenham players for the next few years.

I think that's very unfair on Vardy, to suggest his poor performances are down to ego.

He's simply not a very good footballer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Poland, the 'clown' goalie. Oh, and I went to a qualifier around that time in 76ish. At wemberley. 30,000 for a 0-0 so I recall. Less than half full. Pay on the gate. No passion. Horrible England 'supporters'. The smell of pubs, and wormwood scrubs and too many right wing meetings. Let's face it, 96 was our hiatus after the 66 'fix' that you could attend by paying on the gate, and wave your UNION JACK flag, FFS. No ****ing class at all we English. I am fed up with this. The rest of the words sees us us as *****. Those who hanker for the good old days are DELUDED. The past is the wood for our feeble fire.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
On paper it IS

However, Iceland were not such a bad side, so maybe NOT - Sadly some of the players played it on paper

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Before I get stuck into England, let's just get one thing straight. Iceland are better than their 'population the size of Leicester' status suggests - they're ranked 34th in the world (as of right now, they'll be pushing the top 20 after the tournament) which puts them ahead of the likes of Sweden, Ivory Coast, Ghana and Denmark. Defeats to those nations would have been poor, but woudn't have been met with quite such derision as tonight's capitulation. They also beat the Netherlands home and away during qualification.

All that said, there were a couple of things which made tonight possible for Iceland. Firstly, they've had a good crop of players come through at the right time, relative to the size of their population. However, man for man they are nevertheless massively inferior to the English players. Would any clubs of the England squad be looking to do a straight swap with their Icelandic counterparts? Not a chance.

What we've learned from Leicester this season is that individual talent only counts for so much. Taking what you've got, making the very most of it and developing a team which allows individuals to play the best of their ability can go a long, long way. It certainly did for Iceland tonight.

You can say what you like about English grass roots football, the lower league structure and the supposed pressure of playing for England. You can stick 'elite' development squads into the Football League Trophy, shit all over the heritage of our football league by introducing Spanish-style B teams, or any other such bollocks Greg Dyke and his pals can come with.

Iceland has none of that - it's not the problem. Our players are, for the most part, perfectly adequete at club level. Gareth Bale aside, have we come up against a single player commanding a salary above that of the England squad's average? Certainly not tonight, that's for sure.

Until we install a management team capable of taking the individual talent we undoubtdedly have and translating it into something that works as a 'team' we will acheive nothing. It's an exceptional circumstance I grant you, but Ranieri managed to do that in little more than a pre-season. We need to stop ducking the issue and talking about 10 year plans to reach a semi final in ****ing Qatar, and face up to dealing with what we've got right here, right now.

Because tomorrow never comes.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Worst defeat ever? I know it was embarrassing but emotions are just a little high right now thanks to our country reverting to the bloody Dark Ages, we even got our shit kicked in by a bunch of Vikings to top off an abysmal week.

Look, it sucks. But this has been a problem for a while now. Hell I gave up hope in the most pathetic performance I've ever seen in the 2014 World Cup. Brazil might have lost 7-1 but I reckon it would have been 12-0 were we playing Germany then. We have this eternal cycle of optimism thanks to some stupid pointless friendlies, we ease through qualifying and then perform sub-par in the tournament, rinse and repeat, but we never ever stop to think why this happens. We overrate ourselves constantly. The teams have zero chemistry in spite of some good footballers, but the FA has no answers and neither do we.

Roy had his resignation pre-written if you all noticed. He knew he was on his way out, the man made some questionable choices that can be seen in a terrible 1-1 draw to Russia, when note that both Slovakia and Wales flattened them. Wales was a weird blip that ride off a lucky goal from Vardy and a boost in confidence, but Slovakia park the bus and its business as usual, we struggle against a rubbish team of minnows. The only difference is this time one of the minnows decided they'd have a go and beat England decisively.

England is shit, we've been shit since the disappointing 2002 defeat to Brazil. Let's accept that, and then continue investment into developing and finding more homegrown talent both on and off the pitch.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It wasn't a defeat but the 0-0 against Algeria in 2010 was about as disorganised and spineless. Algeria were nowhere as near as good as Iceland.

Yes they are a country of 330,000 but they doubled Holland on way to winning group. Suspect France will be their nemesis but don't count on it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Back to the original question - was this the worst England defeat ever in a tournament ? In my lifetime, absolutely. Without a SHADOW of a doubt.

I am wearily used to losing to the very first PROPER team we come up against in the knockouts, be it Portugal, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, etc etc. France would have raped us at the weekend. Its what we do. Its the law. We have NEVER beaten anyone in the knockouts, aside from Spain in 96, at Wembley, on pens, after they'd been robbed a perfectly legitimate goal. We do not beat proper teams in knockouts, thats a simple fact.

Tonight though, England lost to the Isle of Wight. They somehow found their way to a new low. We are, once again, a complete laughing stock.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Just when I think England can't get any lower after the dismal 2010 World Cup, in 2014 when we failed to qualify from the group before we even played our 3rd game and now this... Hey ho I don't give a **** about this country anymore

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In a Finals yes,but Norway September 81 wins hands down for me.

But that wasn't in a tournament. We've had plenty of JUNK results in qualifying, and sometimes you can salvage them. But in terms of a performance and result in a tournament....that was the absolute WORST in our history. You actually have to go back to 1950 to find something that compares.

Tonight was historic in its ineptitude. HISTORIC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here