Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst defensive performance of the season

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Not quite and there were 3 different players who started as well on Tuesday Hemed, Murphy and Kayal all started on Tuesday, Different game, different players slightly different formation and tactics.
Formation is only the shape they play, not the tactics they use, they change with every game, they have to and today CH chose badly, in formation and tactical play.

Todays official formation according to the Albion App was 4 - 1 - 4 - 1

BRIGHTON Starting eleven on Tuesday and Subs.

13 Stockdale
2 Bruno
17 Goldson
5 Dunk
14 Calderon
27 Knockaert Substituted for Skalakat 86'minutes
6 Stephens
36 Sidwell
7 Kayal Substituted for Crofts at 71' minutes
15 Murphy
10 Hemed Substituted for Baldock at 71' minutes

Substitutes
1 Mäenpää
8 Crofts
9 Baldock
23 Rosenior
25 Zamora
30 Lua Lua
38 Skalak

:lolol:

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Dunk gets turned and caught out of position, time and again and his habitual shirt pulling is now getting wearisome. He either learns how to manage forwards better or he is given a rest from the side.

This. It is really frustrating the hell out of me. Dunk's positional play is poor and frequently goes unnoticed or ignored if we're not punished but it happens too often - it showed today and another recent example is Heskey's goal for Bolton at the AMEX last week. He ball watches. And as for his shirt pulling - I don't think I've seen another professional player as bad as him at this. I really feel he is our weakest link and needs to be dropped now that GG is fit again.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Was quite disappointed listening to the post match interview on BBC website, when asked about tactics and formation. CH should have simply held his hand up and admitted he got it wrong.

Agree CH interview on bbc radio was very poor , his worse in fact , said nothing about the tactics , changes or the team ,

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree CH interview on bbc radio was very poor , his worse in fact , said nothing about the tactics , changes or the team ,

Didn't hear that interview but the article in the Argus has him blaming poor defending. It really is that simple IMO, it matters not what the tactics are if the players **** up twice in a few minutes early in the game. All the forwards had complete 'mares in the first half too, so we had no chance of getting a goal before the break.

Easy to blame CH though.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It was the midfield. OK on the ball, but we did not win the ball off of them. And we lost it more than normal (midfield and attack only: defence did not lose the ball at all, just lost the players they should have been marking, but that was mostly the midfield losing the ball). I think we needed a heavyweight ball winner in midfield. Or a midfielder with a bit of speed. I don't think both Sidwell and Crofts were up to it. We could not close them down cause although they did not pass it around we could not press them cause they were bigger and stronger.

Gunnarsson (Cardiff) or Gallagher (PNE) would be up to the mettle with Kayal and Stephens.

Cardiff and Birmingham look like candidates for sixth place after that game. I can see the same thing happening when we visit Birmingham.

Cardiff weren't not that good though. We've got to play 90 minutes against them though. Arguable if we scored first we would have won. Burnley came back at Cardiff from 0 2-0 down to draw 2-2.

And it was not as though Cardifff had their best team out. We looked like a team in transition. Maybe the new players?

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Players didn't turn up, not the managers fault

Oh yes it was. I think CH is a great manager but today he got his team selection totally wrong, and I suspect he knows it.

It happens. We move on. Just hope we don't do it again in a televised game.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Oh yes it was. I think CH is a great manager but today he got his team selection totally wrong, and I suspect he knows it.

It happens. We move on. Just hope we don't do it again in a televised game.

If he does know it he's not admitting it - put the blame totally on the defence. Not good.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
When you collectively have a mare, and the opposition puts on thier own best performance of the season, it doesn't matter what formation you play.

Time to move on and focus on beating Bristol City.

Everything still to play for.

I have to agree with this post, I can't put the blame down to CH, as I don't think I have seen a game where every player in the team were awful.
Can anyone tell me a player who they thought had a good game?

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Didn't see the game but it sounds as though Hughtin got it right against Hull but wrong against Cardiff. That's going to happen sometimes.

Feb 14, 2010
I have to agree with this post, I can't put the blame down to CH, as I don't think I have seen a game where every player in the team were awful.
Can anyone tell me a player who they thought had a good game?

From goal keeper to striker, they all collectively made mistakes. The defence was poor, the midfield went missing and even Zamora was poor, missing a very good chance in the first half and his crossing was not even Sussex County League standard. Individual errors cost. No idea how an excellent footballer like Zamora cant cross a ball and how they can be so crap when all they do all week is kick a ball around. Its one bad game. A good rollicking and extra training handed out I hope (yes they were that bad and Zamora can do crossing practice when they get him in at 6a.m. monday morning for a few hours extra practice). Then we move on to the next game with hopefully desire, hunger and focus to get 3 points. I don't fancy losing in the play offs again.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
For me defence starts in the midfield and that is where Hughton got it wrong. Fair enough needing to rest Kayal but not so that Crofts can come in. Should've had Stephens and Sidwell and gone 442 with Hemed on. Brings Crofts on later to shore it up. We were just horrendously unfortunate that on the day Hughton makes a mistake our usually reliable back line make three.

Feb 14, 2010
For me defence starts in the midfield and that is where Hughton got it wrong. Fair enough needing to rest Kayal but not so that Crofts can come in. Should've had Stephens and Sidwell and gone 442 with Hemed on. Brings Crofts on later to shore it up. We were just horrendously unfortunate that on the day Hughton makes a mistake our usually reliable back line make three.

Agreed, but also one of the reason why the defence has been good is because the midfield this season has been so good. Two things go together. Yesterday was one game when the midfield was poor and the defence were just as bad. I also felt sorry to the service to the midfield from the back. Nothing but pass it around until they got themselves into trouble and then hoof. Always a difficult one to blame the defence or the midfield, but yesterday, it was both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here