Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst defensive performance of the season

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
BIG. FAT. THIS.

I'm not going to have a go at Hughton because he has done brilliantly with us so far this season, but today he got it horribly horribly wrong. I would love to know the rationale behind the changes.

I was just thinking about this.

He used it (451) against the Leaders (Hull) in order to win a point - fair enough.
Cardiff have only lost once this season (at Home), so I reckon Hughton set us up again for the point - whilst making negative changes to the team.

We have been great away from home, playing our own game. Hughton needs to take the blame today, but I can see that's he's passed the buck to his defenders.

This isn't the time to be tinkering with the formula!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Midfield poor and exposed the back four - they were poor and exposed the keeper - he was poor. That's it really and Cardiff got some lucky bounces as well.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
3 horrible first half mistakes.

My only gripe is with Hughtons Formation and Tactics.

We've done superb with a 442.
Why confuse everyone with a 451 plus 3 major player changes?

this exactly. hughtons done great, but this was an error today in my opinion. i could understand it (to a degree) against hull away, but not cardiff away.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably nature's way of telling the existing defence that if we happen to somehow stumble upon automatic promotion, then they'll all be out of a job :wave:

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
I felt Cardiff were there for the taking today.
We started brightly, and they didn't touch the ball for the first 15 minutes.
However, we lacked any penetration and creativity.
Cardiff then got the ball forward and [with the aid of some suspect defending] scored 3 goals from 3 shots.
I thought we missed Kayal terribly :(
We were much better at the start of the 2nd half, especially with Rosenior linking up well with Skalak ... but the penalty really took the wind out of our sails.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Players didn't turn up, not the managers fault

Yes it is , playing your players in a completely untested never before used formation that they aren't used to with BZ upfront on his own is utter suicide !
As soon as I and obviously a lot of others on here saw that formation on TV I just thought " oh shit what has he done "?
They looked bewildered and confused because they didnt know what they were doing today.
CH split up a match winning formation and team. Stupidity beyond belief
These are professional athletes with high spec game plans, who are paid thousands and thousands of pounds to do what they are told by the manager, they cant just go off at a tangent and do what they like even if they are losing.
The boss has a game plan you follow it to the letter and thats that,

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hughton needs to take the blame today, but I can see that's he's passed the buck to his defenders.

Was quite disappointed listening to the post match interview on BBC website, when asked about tactics and formation. CH should have simply held his hand up and admitted he got it wrong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was quite disappointed listening to the post match interview on BBC website, when asked about tactics and formation. CH should have simply held his hand up and admitted he got it wrong.

Not convinced he did get it wrong, we conceded two very poor goals and an unlucky one. Players take the responsibility IMO. If they'd marked properly and the keeper had had a decent game we might well have gone on to win that game. As it was the two quick goals made Cardiff grow in confidence and we looked like we gave up for the rest of the first half. Those two goals killed the game ( unlike when we take two goal leads :wink: )

Players take the blame for that performance not the manager

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
They played this formation at top of the table and came away with a credible draw :moo:

Not quite and there were 3 different players who started as well on Tuesday Hemed, Murphy and Kayal all started on Tuesday, Different game, different players slightly different formation and tactics.
Formation is only the shape they play, not the tactics they use, they change with every game, they have to and today CH chose badly, in formation and tactical play.

Todays official formation according to the Albion App was 4 - 1 - 4 - 1

BRIGHTON Starting eleven on Tuesday and Subs.

13 Stockdale
2 Bruno
17 Goldson
5 Dunk
14 Calderon
27 Knockaert Substituted for Skalakat 86'minutes
6 Stephens
36 Sidwell
7 Kayal Substituted for Crofts at 71' minutes
15 Murphy
10 Hemed Substituted for Baldock at 71' minutes

Substitutes
1 Mäenpää
8 Crofts
9 Baldock
23 Rosenior
25 Zamora
30 Lua Lua
38 Skalak

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I've been saying for a long time that our main problem this season is defensive not offensive. We give away too many cheap goals and our goal difference, compared to those around us is laughable. We haven't won by clear margins this season because we keep gifting goals to the opposition. Bolton have scored four against us and Rotherham three. Charlton rattled in two before we woke up and today was yet another example of lapses of concentration and poor marking.
Dunk gets turned and caught out of position, time and again and his habitual shirt pulling is now getting wearisome. He either learns how to manage forwards better or he is given a rest from the side. Stephens gets caught in possession too much and today, Crofts and Sidwell played with blinkers on, failing to cover and pick up runners. Stockdale has had an excellent season but gifted them the second today.
For a team that prides itself on organisation and hard work and is 4th in the table, to find nine teams who have conceded less goals is unacceptable. We have had spells earlier this season when concentration has gone awry but not every team has punished us as ruthlessly as Cardiff. Too many players were guilty today and now the pressure is on them to put it right in the next game.
Hughton's big job is to work out who his most consistent performers are and to stick with them. He did the team no favours today with his selection. Perservering with the labouring Crofts and bringing in an out of condition Sidwell was disastrous and he has to admit his mistake. The sooner we get the dynamic Kayal back, the better.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
Why not start Hemed upfront with BZ as he's now scoring again, got his confidence back ? Now thats knocked him a bit hasn't it ?
Wheres Lua Lua and Wilson gone ? Theyr'e not injured ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've been saying for a long time that our main problem this season is defensive not offensive. We give away too many cheap goals and our goal difference, compared to those around us is laughable. We haven't won by clear margins this season because we keep gifting goals to the opposition. Bolton have scored four against us and Rotherham three. Charlton rattled in two before we woke up and today was yet another example of lapses of concentration and poor marking.
Dunk gets turned and caught out of position, time and again and his habitual shirt pulling is now getting wearisome. He either learns how to manage forwards better or he is given a rest from the side. Stephens gets caught in possession too much and today, Crofts and Sidwell played with blinkers on, failing to cover and pick up runners. Stockdale has had an excellent season but gifted them the second today.
For a team that prides itself on organisation and hard work and is 4th in the table, to find nine teams who have conceded less goals is unacceptable. We have had spells earlier this season when concentration has gone awry but not every team has punished us as ruthlessly as Cardiff. Too many players were guilty today and now the pressure is on them to put it right in the next game.
Hughton's big job is to work out who his most consistent performers are and to stick with them. He did the team no favours today with his selection. Perservering with the labouring Crofts and bringing in an out of condition Sidwell was disastrous and he has to admit his mistake. The sooner we get the dynamic Kayal back, the better.

The whole point of a strong squad is to be able to rotate. Sidwell is a proven player, Crofts is extremely experienced. Kayal needs a rest. I completely understand why CH made the changes. The players let him down with some League Two defending.

I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post though.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
When you collectively have a mare, and the opposition puts on thier own best performance of the season, it doesn't matter what formation you play.

Time to move on and focus on beating Bristol City.

Everything still to play for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here