Worst defeats

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Adding to the others.

Reading at Elm Park, 20+ years ago.

4 - 0 down with about 20 minutes to go.
I don't think we strung 2 passes together all game....

...and all Radio 1 played was Mr Wendell.

An emotionally scaring day.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Reading

1-5 where molongo scored and the reading sniper was in attendance

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
actually looking back on it, I have seen some truly shite games over my 30 years! Sudbury at home in the Cup takes some beating lost on penalties i seem to recall

west ham away 6-0 was hilarious:ffsparr:

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Second goal against Burnley. Bob McNicol from at least thirty-five yards. One of the best ever at the Goldstone!
Bristol Rovers was 8-2 - but from what I remember, it was a very entertaining game and the biggest cheer of the day was for our second one! One of Brian Clough's first games. The tv pictures show him sitting on the bench with his young son - Nigel!

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
My absolute worst was the Play off game followed by the 5-0. But Palace aside the game someone else mentioned at the Goldstone, I think it was Darlington, cant even remember the score but it was around this time of year and just after the points deduction and left us 11 points adrift at the foot of the Football league.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The defeat away to MK Dons in the great escape season. Thought we were finished after that, a truly inept performance. Didn't particularly enjoy the in-fighting between our fans and getting on Snoopy's back (despite how shit he was) either. Whingy was the only player that didn't play like a ****ing donkey.

Did set up that beautiful night at Bristol Rovers rather well though :albion2:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I went to that 7-1 defeat at Huddersfield on a Tuesday night, but I think to be honest, that one got so bad, it was funny. We were sort of laughing by the end. It wasn't even one of those nights where everything they hit went in- they could have had about fifteen if they'd taken other chances. I'm pretty sure they missed a penalty, quite possibly saved (astonishingly) by Graeme Smith.

But I've felt a lot worse after other defeats over the years, to be honest. There must have been games in the season culminating at Hereford (but before Fans United) where it was just utter despair around the place, when we looked to have no hope at all. I was also at that 4-0 Pissfield defeat to Darlington where fatty Gabbiadini scored the hat trick. Those days you just didn't feel anything good was around the corner.

I think the most incompetent overall display was the 5-0 at Selhurst, as there were several of our team (Mayo & Kuipers in particular) who looked like pub players that day.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Losing to Southampton, 2 - 0 at home, in the FA Cup Quarter Final in 1986 was very depressing. So much hope and expectation before the game, and dreams of another trip to Wembley, were cruelly shattered as the Albion failed to turn up. I still remember the groan from the crowd when it was announced that the cretinous, bearded oaf, that is Mick Ferguson would be playing up front. up. I can't remember us having a single shot on goal. The feeling of gut wrenching numbness was also experienced at the Play-off final defeat to Notts County, and again on May 13th 2013. :annoyed:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
the cretinous, bearded oaf, that is Mick Ferguson would be playing up front. ed:

I can't even recall seeing Mick Ferguson play, as he was right at the start of my Albion existence, but even as a ten year old girl, I was made very aware bly those I stood with on the East Terrace that he was not a fans favourite :lolol:

And that description of him has really made me chuckle.

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
This is the one for me. First home defeat under mullery. Was really upset about it and was the first game I took my girlfriend to see and I never took her again.

Having watched the Albion for nearly 50 years, believe me I've watched some dire, crap games - including the aforementioned stuffing to Walton & Hersham (0-4) and Bristol Rovers (2-8). I've watched many a Palace game, including the infamous 2-1 FA cup defeat at Stamford Bridge, thanks to ref Challis of Palace.

But the one game in all of those nearly 50 years that affected me the most was against . . . . Wrexham!!

In season 1976/77 we were unbeatable and totally dominant at home - we scored 63 goals at the Goldstone that year. So along come Wrexham and bang we lose 0-2. For some reason I have never felt so depressed after a defeat as that one. Strange, I know, but hey, these things happen.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not a defeat, in fact we won, but emotionally drained the day Saints and Spuds contrived their 0-0 in '78

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I think I can remember seeing three consecutive away games losing 2-0 3-0 and 4-0 Oldham Wigan and another and we were promoted that year!!! It's all a bit of a blur really.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Losing 1-0 to nine man Walsall at home was pretty bad. Walsall were down to 9 men with about 70/60 minutes left and the score at the time was 0-0.

Who were we playing when we got knocked out of the FA cup by a league 2 team which followed with Dick Knight doing the Albion phone in? I remember him promising us 7 signings. I think we actually signed Murray the following transfer window!
That was a dark day at the Withdean.

Last edited:

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
For me it is the 5-0. But here's the thing, I spent about three years thinking it was 5-1. It was only when I met captain haddock before Charlton away 0-4 that I found out we hadn't scored. Ok there was a lot of beer. But my brain had clearly blanked it out, no, lied to me for all those years.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Molongo scored in the first game of the season there and the final score was 2-3, what game are you thinking of? I dont remember 5-1 against Reading in the last 20 years?

The five one was when Gary Elphick was sent off on his debut. Colin scored a screamer and Oatway scored a showboating goal in the wrong net.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Molongo scored in the first game of the season there and the final score was 2-3, what game are you thinking of? I dont remember 5-1 against Reading in the last 20 years?

Mmmmm maybe the memory does dim with age. I could have sworn we were dicked that game!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Had this before. The answer will always be Darlington.

Not sure whether it was the 3-2 defeat at the Goldstone, the game that put us at the bottom of the league or the 4-0 defeat at Priestfield the following season. Gabbiadini (sp?) scored a hat-trick and we looked abysmal.

I'd say the latter for the sheer despair at the quality of the football but the former for the shock of the position we found ourselves in. That was the day I first began to realise that Brighton was in danger of folding completely

Totally agree with the above.

I'd add Notts County play-off final and 4-2 at Portsmouth in 2004(?). We hadn't played them for years and I was working and living there at the time. Did I get some stick on the Monday afterwards...which I've repaid many times over in the last few years!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Biggest: 6-1 at Anfield, 6-1 at Boundary Park, 5-1 at Fratton Park

Most painful: Palace 1-3 at the Amex and Notts County at Wembley.

Worst performance: Walsall at Withers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here