Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst defeats

From games I was at:

In terms of score, 6-1 at Liverpool in the FA Cup under Gus. In terms of what defeat felt the worse its 3-0 against Palace in the play off semi

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
4-0 away defeats at Brentford two years running, which oddly enough I remember as good fun evenings out.

I really enjoyed the second one. Singing "4-0 and we'll win the league" all the way home was fun. Whilst we didn't win the league we did get promoted, so it was semi-prophetic.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Had this before. The answer will always be Darlington.

Not sure whether it was the 3-2 defeat at the Goldstone, the game that put us at the bottom of the league or the 4-0 defeat at Priestfield the following season. Gabbiadini (sp?) scored a hat-trick and we looked abysmal.

I'd say the latter for the sheer despair at the quality of the football but the former for the shock of the position we found ourselves in. That was the day I first began to realise that Brighton was in danger of folding completely

I'm afraid I really don't have the memory of which particular game, but, it was of this time.I'd only started supporting the Albion a few years previous but there was a time when I thought, no, realised, bollocks, this team I have found and love, could be gone by next season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lincoln? 3-1 defeat, all their goals from corners as I remember. Very much felt like the end that day.

Could be, I really have no recollection of the game I just remember that it was the most depressed I have ever felt after a game of football, it really did feel like the end was nigh for the Albion. Thank Christ for the Steve Gritt appointment and Dick Knight, but at the time a turnaround seemed impossible...to me.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
9 -0 I think it was away to Middlesbro, plus I seem to remember getting spanked by Northampton 7 or 8 nil, but for emotions there are many from the Cup Final which we could and should have won, the first game in Div 1 against Arsenal as we had arrived and shown that we werent ready up to the Palace 5.-0 and of course last seasons play off at The Amex.

Strangely, I was thinking of the Northampton game as well 8-0. It was a night match as I recall and might have been the then League Cup. Albion were useless, and I recall an Albion fan throwing a scarf to the home fans, in the days when opposing supporters could still stand together in largely peaceful fashion. Sad as it is to say, there have been many others, though I am sure most fans could say the same about their clubs. Getting away slightly from the thread, who can recall the superb 3-3 draw against Burnley in the Cup in the early 60s -what a match and second goal!!

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
One that scarred me as a kid,was losing to leathered in the FA cup,as it was shown on match of the day,couldn't,t tell what year it was.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It depends how old you are and what you have witnessed. The defeats after Clough and Taylor arrived were bad, but at least you could understand why. So my vote goes to THE playoff match as I can never ever remember an Albion team submitting to a defeat in that manner. CP weren't even very good and 15 mill. for a player that Kaz. probably will have a better career in the long run. I just stood with my mouth open. :shrug:

158.JPG

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
26th Oct 2005. Say no more. My first ever Palace derby game. I'd been looking forward to it for YEARS.

I could have actually murdered Mayo, Watson and Oatway after. They were just woeful.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Back to back 5-0 defeats in the top flight against ( I think) West Brom and Luton in 1982/3. Could see it was the beginning of the end

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Without a shadow of doubt.......Saturday 5th April 1997....Scunthorpe United away.

We were awful, just awful. We were bottom of League 3 with just five games to go. Hartlepool and Hereford United were the nearest teams to us in the league.

We lost 1- 0

Hartlepool won 3-1

Hereford won 1-0

It left us 5 points adrift, a worse goal difference and only 4 games to go. The 'fat lady' was already halfway through her song that day.

el punal

Having watched the Albion for nearly 50 years, believe me I've watched some dire, crap games - including the aforementioned stuffing to Walton & Hersham (0-4) and Bristol Rovers (2-8). I've watched many a Palace game, including the infamous 2-1 FA cup defeat at Stamford Bridge, thanks to ref Challis of Palace.

But the one game in all of those nearly 50 years that affected me the most was against . . . . Wrexham!!

In season 1976/77 we were unbeatable and totally dominant at home - we scored 63 goals at the Goldstone that year. So along come Wrexham and bang we lose 0-2. For some reason I have never felt so depressed after a defeat as that one. Strange, I know, but hey, these things happen.

Jimmy Grimble

Following on from El Presidente's nostalgiafest about conceding 12 goals in two matches 40 years ago while playing for the most part in black-and-white, let's throw this one open -

What is the worst defeat you've witnessed by the Albion for which you suffered the most emotionally?

I suspect for many it will be the 5-0 defeat at the South London Cowsheds (not for me, I'd packed myself of to Madrid that weekend - it got me 1,500 miles from the inevitable pain fellow Brighton fans were experiencing) or the 2-0 defeat by the same arsonists at the end of last season.

For me, odd though it sounds, the 2-1 defeat to Southampton in the penultimate match at Withdean really pissed me off. Even though we were champions, we'd lost our unbeaten home record - and to... them.

What about you?

Strangely that Southampton game pissed me off far more than it should have as well. Definitely ranks up there.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
was it 1-0 Walsall when they had 9 men? dont think we even tested the keeper

Palace defeats aside this mine. An absolutely horrible performance and the writing was on the wall for Mickey after that.

More recently the defeat at Ipswich this season was dire too.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Without a shadow of doubt.......Saturday 5th April 1997....Scunthorpe United away.

We were awful, just awful. We were bottom of League 3 with just five games to go. Hartlepool and Hereford United were the nearest teams to us in the league.

We lost 1- 0

Hartlepool won 3-1

Hereford won 1-0

It left us 5 points adrift, a worse goal difference and only 4 games to go. The 'fat lady' was already halfway through her song that day.

Thankfully, goal difference wasn't an issue.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Huddersfield got seven we got one, but worse emotionally was when Sheff Utd. beat us 5-4 in a right see-saw of a game in the late 80's.

yes I remember the huddersfield game...marvellous scenes

Worst one I can remember is Middlesboro at home, where we were moved from the east terrace as it was so wet into the North Stand and we lost 5 or 6 -1 we were truly shite that night.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
0-4 against bristol Rovers at Bath...feck me we were bad that day...."Bye Bye Barry"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here