Worst Brighton Manager of all time.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
surely Cloughie-losing 8-2 at home to Bristol Rovers and 4-0 at home to Walton and Hersham in the cup! Obviously a great manager for Derby and Forest, but a candidate for amongst the worse for us

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This is what I was looking for, Something outside of my knowledge of the Albion, a double relegation is a fine achievement as you just wouldnt see it happen this day and age.

Although it's interesting that Malcolm Allison presided over Crystal Palace's relegation from Division Three to Division One (and was there for part of 1980/81, another relegation season) and yet is considered a legend there.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
'Wood remained unbeaten in his first three games, but then picked up only one point in the club's next ten games and was sacked on 9 April 1999, with the club battling relegation.'

The above was taken from Wiki.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
surely Cloughie-losing 8-2 at home to Bristol Rovers and 4-0 at home to Walton and Hersham in the cup! Obviously a great manager for Derby and Forest, but a candidate for amongst the worse for us

Peter O'Sullivan says Clough was the best Albion manager he ever played for. Given that he was signed under Goodwin, and played for Saward, Clough, Taylor and Mullery as well, I think his opinion is of value here.

Clough was there to stop Albion from being relegated in 1973/74 and the team succeeded.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Peter O'Sullivan says Clough was the best Albion manager he ever played for. Given that he was signed under Goodwin, and played for Saward, Clough, Taylor and Mullery as well, I think his opinion is of value here.

Clough was there to stop Albion from being relegated in 1973/74 and the team succeeded.

Clough's record certainly isn't shocking, considering the team he inherited. The W&H defeat was only a few weeks after he took over - that's more of an indication of the poor quality of the players that he had to work with than the quality of the management

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Hyypia was bad, there's no getting away from it - you only have to look at how Baldock, COG, Tex, Ince etc have been playing in recent weeks to see that there's a definite change under Hughton. True, Sami didn't have a great time with injuries but his lack of fluidity in team selections was worrying - continually playing Gardner and JFC as holding midfielders together was really frustrating.

Being relatively young in Albion history years my earliest memory for worst was probably Hinshelwood - I felt positive after we beat Burnley then drew with Coventry....then it all went badly wrong from there. MA mk2 was equally baffling and hilarious, but then it was partly our fault by thinking that him coming back would have the same results as his first time here. It's tainted his legacy here for sure but i don't think he's as bad as Hinsh and Hyypia were. I know there are mitigating circumstances for everyone, so it's hard to name one for definite for me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

O'Sullivan is entitled to his opinion - but the performances on the pitch certainly did not reflect his opinion.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62

Clough was largely an absentee manager, so he had to delegate. He put in a competent and committed back-up team of Taylor, Aitken and Gutteridge. These all remained initially when Clough left and so built the foundations that Mullery inherited. The rest, as they say.....................

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Clough also got rid of a lot of dead wood very quickly, some of the old stalwarts hanging on for the money, or so one of them told me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports