Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Brighton Manager of all time.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
This is what I was looking for, Something outside of my knowledge of the Albion, a double relegation is a fine achievement as you just wouldnt see it happen this day and age.

Yeovil look promising for a double relegation.

Bottom of the Championship last season, they're currently bottom of Division 1 and are 3 points from safety with a worse GD having played 1 more game.

Bristol City and Wolves both had triple relegations in the '80s.

Nowhere near SSV Ulm 1846 though.
2000 - relegated from the Bundesliga to Bundesliga 2
2001 - relegated from Bundesliga 2 to 3rd division.
However they didn't get a license for the 3rd division and were put in the 4th.
For legal reasons, they refused to play there and were subsequently put in the 5th.

Yes, it would happen in Germany.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The squad Hinshelwood has to work with was dire IMO, under Hyppia we had a team capable of challenging the top 10 easily, and yet we hovered dangerously above the relegation zone. That, for me, makes Sami worse than Hinshelwood.

Neither were terrible appointments, it just didn't work out and both should have got the boot long before they did.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yeovil look promising for a double relegation.

Bottom of the Championship last season, they're currently bottom of Division 1 and are 3 points from safety with a worse GD having played 1 more game.

Nowhere near SSV Ulm 1846 though.
2000 - relegated from the Bundesliga to Bundesliga 2
2001 - relegated from Bundesliga 2 to 3rd division.
However they didn't get a license for the 3rd division and were put in the 4th.
For legal reasons, they refused to play there and were subsequently put in the 5th.

Yes, it would happen in Germany.

I thought it was the same manager.

Wolves were relegated on the bounce only two seasons ago.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Adams MK2 has to be in my lifetime (from Barry Lloyd onwards) followed closely by the dim Finn. as CH proved its not a bottom three squad (ok its not a top 10 squad either) but we would have gone down with him still in charge.

Least he had the good grace to resign and we must be thankful for that because we were SHIT SCARED to put him out of his misery and dont give me any bollox about FFP or whatever as the compo would offset whats lost in relegation.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Jimmy Melia, cost us our 1sr Division status, totally clueless given the talent in the squad at the time. Forget the cup run, shown up totally the following season in 2nd Division after he lost the job to Chris Cattlin.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I thought it was the same manager.

You're right. I misread it. The same manager taking a team to 2 successive relegations would be rare indeed.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Hyypia for me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
With a MASSIVE injury crisis.
Very unfair to bring Martin into the equation.

He turned down Steve Sidwell when he was offered on loan from Arsenal, saying he wasn't any better than what he already had. Luckily, Arsenal were still willing to lend him out when Coppell took over.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Didnt Northampton once go 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 in virtually successive seasons with perhaps 1 break of 2 seasons in a division during the fall.

60/61 - Div 4 to Div 3
62/63 - Div 3 to Div 2
64/65 - Div 2 to Div 1
65/66 - Div 1 to Div 2
66/67 - Div 2 to Div 3
68/69 - Div 3 to Div 4

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Can't be Hinshelwood for me. Didn't have the tools for the job to start with but that wasa sign of the times.

Although not the worst manager for obvious reasons, Mickey Adams second spell competed with Hyppias for how terrible the football was. never settled on a team, no direction and looked liked they couldn't give a toss.

Based on tools at his disposal it has to be Sammi for me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The question was who was the worst manager. Micky Adams is NOT two people, chaps. Therefore despite his utterly appalling second spell, he is not the worst.

I'll go for Sami, just for the fact that he inherited a twice play-off reaching Championship side and turned it into dogshìt. It wasn't even as if his players were all that bad, as the current manager is showing. He was just plain clueless.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Jimmy Melia, cost us our 1sr Division status, totally clueless given the talent in the squad at the time. Forget the cup run, shown up totally the following season in 2nd Division after he lost the job to Chris Cattlin.

Absolutely agree with you here. he was a disaster for us, despite giving me my happiest day - the semi-final win at Highbury, (and even then I think we were a tad lucky!) and my biggest ever win, 7-0 against Charlton!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He turned down Steve Sidwell when he was offered on loan from Arsenal, saying he wasn't any better than what he already had. Luckily, Arsenal were still willing to lend him out when Coppell took over.
Sidwell was also happy to sign full time for us, I know this because his parents used to live near us.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jeff Wood seems to be escaping with remarkably little criticism here.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No idea mate.

If I was the player in that scenario, looking at contracts with either the Albion (Withdean, leased, crappy training facilities that are useless in winter) or Reading (purpose built stadium and training facilities), I'd have done what Sidwell did.

Discounting my natural Albion allegiances, of course.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If I was the player in that scenario, looking at contracts with either the Albion (Withdean, leased, crappy training facilities that are useless in winter) or Reading (purpose built stadium and training facilities), I'd have done what Sidwell did.

Discounting my natural Albion allegiances, of course.

Not forgetting Reading's position in the table at the time compared to ours.

The fact remains that Hinshelwood did have more talent available to him, but chose to turn it down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here