Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst. Amex. Pie. Ever.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
When we went to Anfield for our Liverpool game in the FA Cup I thought it was quality they serve Shepherds Pie up there.
They did Shepherds Pie as well?? I completely missed that, too much :drink: that day.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Noticed they were using cloudy leftover harveys from Saturday again too, hence the mild headache today.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The cottage pie at the Amex tonight was dreadful. I was foolishly tempted by the utterly misleading photo of it and the mouth-watering description of the mashed potato allegedly contained therein, but there was only a small blob of mash cowering under the pastry, trying to stay afloat on a sea of very average savoury mince. Most disappointing.

I would say that this culinary misadventure had entirely spoiled the whole evening and turned our three points to dust and ashes in my eyes, but that would be a lie, of course. Not a good pie, though.

I liked it. A lot. Would buy again. Thought the potato was well judged and made the whole thing -- and I never thought I'd say this of a pie at a footie stadium -- luxurious.

Yoda

English & European
None of us had the guest pie though. Top with pastry or spud. Never both.

Defiantly this!! I remember the Sausage & Mash pie last season was topped with Mash and inside was the sausages & onion gravy. Earlier this season, had half the amount of sausages and the mash inside the pie with pastry on top, this ruined it due to the mash soaking up most the gravy.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
The cottage pie at the Amex tonight was dreadful. I was foolishly tempted by the utterly misleading photo of it and the mouth-watering description of the mashed potato allegedly contained therein, but there was only a small blob of mash cowering under the pastry, trying to stay afloat on a sea of very average savoury mince. Most disappointing.

I would say that this culinary misadventure had entirely spoiled the whole evening and turned our three points to dust and ashes in my eyes, but that would be a lie, of course. Not a good pie, though.

Myself and my brother in law had one on Saturday. I must say I entered into the agreement of mash/pastry with a sense of trepidation. But much to my surprise it was absolutely delightful. Bro in law agreed too. Not quite as good as the chilli pie though I must say.

Didn't have a pie last night, perhaps they were leftovers from Saturday?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I thought they were alright, but could have done with more mash. The sausage and mash ones were probably my favourite from this season.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So why didn't you refuse it if it was cloudy? WSU Harveys was clean as a whistle

a)Because you have to pay for it before they give it to you; b) This was in the WSU and everyones beers were cloudy initially as they always seem to do this when we have several games in a week.

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
Didn't look as good as Saturday. Had sweetcorn in it and less mash. Had steak and ale and was excellent. Although they seem to be less deep than before. On average they seem consistently good across the board this season. Just a disappointing balti a few weeks ago.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I had a chicken balti pie in Dick's last night. Problem was l couldn't find a fork, and end result was that trying to eat it 'by hand' so to speak ... l ended up dropping the contents down the front of my replica shirt, which became a unique blue, white and brown striped number. I swiftly devoured the remaining pastry case, and high tailed it onto the concourse and ordered a cheeseburger.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
For me the Balti is the one to have!! (Obviously) I can't get enough of it, and ALWAYS order two if they're available!! But, alas, they very rarely are these days! :(

Sounds like the Chilli is quite popular too, perhaps we should get a count/petition going. I'd love to got back to old days of Balti Pie every game!

How we used to moan when they ran out. I'd give anything to go back!! I'm not interested in any of these other 'lesser' specials.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Piglet's Pantry are getting a bit complacent in my opinion. Third season now and their quality is definitely going down. Had a Steak and Ale last night and it was nothing like they used to be. Hardly any 'Steak', lots of thick gravy and tasted mostly of pastry. I used to buy a pie at every home game because they were so good-now, only get one if I'm late arriving with no time to eat en route. Having said that, the Balti and Chili ones are still quite good.

Like most things in life, food is subjective and personal so my views will probably differ from the majority...

Also, we don't see anything on here anymore of the son(?) of the owner. First season they were always looking for feedback-now, nothing. Is he still lurking?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
paying £3 or whatever for a pie made a while ago and sat in a freezer for days.......shudder.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I had a balti pie on Saturday, usually a close second behind the chilli pie in my personal ranking.

There wasn't a hint of heat at all. It was more like a chicken and pepper casserole pie - very disappointing.

If the chili pie was available every game I would find it very hard to abstain.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There were loads of leftovers on Saturday, so i avoided the special last night.

That being said, a small outlet in WSU had no queue and the girl serving had nothing to do. They had sold out of pies so how come there's no supervisor to go and get extras from nearby outlets? Crazy.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Only just seen this thread and in total agreement. After pint number one is was pie time and I had been weighing up between Chicken and Ham and The Cottage Pie. Went for the later as I like to be adventurous whilst my son went Chicken. For a start his was twice the size and had been properly cooked. Mine was soggy which I think was due to the mash inside. Of which there was far too much. The mince bit was tasteless and the ingredients advertised such as carrot and onion seemed non existent. For me its a pathetic 2/10

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Tonight I had my last pie for the time being. Went for the chicken, but they are all hard thick pastry and minimal thin rations of filling. Time to bring sandwiches till they improve. Even tried the fish fingers a couple of weeks ago. Cooked within an inch of their life in some kind of hard crusty bread roll. Never again.

I think they may have been cooked a tad beyond that...RIP little fingers. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here