Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Worst albion player you can remember

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Shamir Fenelon. Probably a really nice guy and I suspect he worked very hard for an opportunity but..........

It was obvious he was never destined to be a pro being so out of his depth in his appearance at the Amex for Hyypia.

Found his level in national League South, poor Sami was utterly stitched up by the recruitment team at the time.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Love the way this thread is appearing directly underneath the one about online abuse :lolol:

Ps the correct answer is Glenn Thomas

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think this thread has been done fairly often over the years with predictable results, a better one would be the worst individual performance from an Albion player you've ever seen?

Akpom - lucky to be in a great Albion team heading for promotion, he was a lazy with an attitude that stunk. In the end, I remember him getting deserved booing and facing vitriol in an Amex game.

Obika and others were rubbish, but at least they tried.

Last edited:

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Kemi Agustien, fat useless and simply couldn't be arsed.

Still stealing a living playing for Mickleover Sports in the Northern Premier League!!

Agreed, been watching the Albion since 1964 and he is the worse. Remember watching him during warm up, just not interested.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Shamir Fenelon. Probably a really nice guy and I suspect he worked very hard for an opportunity but..........

It was obvious he was never destined to be a pro being so out of his depth in his appearance at the Amex for Hyypia.

Found his level in national League South, poor Sami was utterly stitched up by the recruitment team at the time.

What a dickhead comment, Pick a young player from our youth team. The go on to slate his career. Would have gave a lot more than plenty of players who stole a living playing for the club.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeh.

Graeme Smith
Mark McCammon
Glen Thomas

The only one to add, who I though was totally dire was Gary Gardener. But he at least went on to have an ok career

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There seems to be little recognition of the level that players are at. I'm not sticking up for the likes of Farrington, Tiltman or even the wretched Best but they were playing at Tier 2. ( I'll exempt Agustien from that though, he clearly couldn't be bothered, and exempt Graeme Smith, because he'd have been useless at any level).

It's when we were down in the lower reaches and players still looked bad that you find the real duds. There have been some shockers: Neal, Gislason, Hilton, Holdroyd, Gabbiadini, Hoyte, Warren and many more (some of which I've thankfully forgotten).

Two really stick out for me: Michael Mahoney Johnson, who looked like he'd been picked up from a pub team on the way to a game and Jonny Dixon, who looked liked he'd rather be anywhere else

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I only have 1,5 season to judge from so I would have to say Gaetan Bong. Or Martin Montoya. Or Viktor Gyökeres.

All of them feels a bit harsh though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Akpom - lucky to be in a great Albion team heading for promotion, he was a lazy with an attitude that stunk. In the end, I remember him getting deserved booing and facing vitriol in an Amex game.

I can't remember the opposition but I do remember a game where he was put through one-on-one with the keeper having about ten yards start on the defender and still didn't reach the penalty area first. I've never heard a jeer for an individual player since which matched that one.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
There seems to be little recognition of the level that players are at. I'm not sticking up for the likes of Farrington, Tiltman or even the wretched Best but they were playing at Tier 2. ( I'll exempt Agustien from that though, he clearly couldn't be bothered, and exempt Graeme Smith, because he'd have been useless at any level).

It's when we were down in the lower reaches and players still looked bad that you find the real duds. There have been some shockers: Neal, Gislason, Hilton, Holdroyd, Gabbiadini, Hoyte, Warren and many more (some of which I've thankfully forgotten).

Two really stick out for me: Michael Mahoney Johnson, who looked like he'd been picked up from a pub team on the way to a game and Jonny Dixon, who looked liked he'd rather be anywhere else

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Mahoney-Johnson

What a steller 'career'

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Deemed good enough to play for us in the old First Division though, so can't have been nearly as bad as some that are being mentioned on here who were with us in the arese end of the footbal league.

Grismby is Not Chris Ramseys fault.

good enough to play in an FA cup final.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I only have 1,5 season to judge from so I would have to say Gaetan Bong. Or Martin Montoya. Or Viktor Gyökeres.

All of them feels a bit harsh though.

Luckily there isn't much TV fotage of 1990's BHA. GB&MM are Brazil '70 by comparisson to most 1990's players.

Agree about Gyokeres though, what little I saw was Locadia grade crapulence

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
We might have had worse players technically, but the only answer for me is Leon Best.

Remember being sat in the pub with a mate, we were about to leave for the game when we saw the team come out. Best was starting so we decided to stay in the pub. Walking to the station was more effort than he’d put in throughout the game so f*ck him.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I think this thread has been done fairly often over the years with predictable results, a better one would be the worst individual performance from an Albion player you've ever seen?

Willie Young at Pompey around 1984 or 85.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here