Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World War 3 watch.....

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
i do honestly think that should the worst happen and the sirens go off, then there would be a race on here to be the first to announce it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... As far I can tell the Russians are not in the slightest scared of sanctions, so what power do we have over them and should we actually be on the side of the Americans in this.

this is the nub of it. Russian isnt scared of sanctions because they dont believe they will happen. we are on the brink of a sort of economic WW3 (though i dont see any real war unless Russia goes after the Baltics or Poland, which they wont). instead of mutually assured destruction through nukes, we now have mutually assured depression through economics.

if we impose sanctions, Russia will retaliate with their own. Germany in particular but also Italy and most the rest of central/eastern Europe relies on Russian gas for industry. so their economies would be hosed. but then so would Russia, who need billions of revenue to balance their own finances. gas can be sourced elsewhere (US, UAE, Venezuela maybe), so limiting this impact on the west. however many banks in the west have also loaned Russia lots of money, and those with shaky balance sheets would be vulnerable to Russia defaulting, so it could be 2008 all over again. Putin is betting this is too big a risk for the West, so we'll hold off. and he's probably right as long as he doesn't escalate. if he does he'll force the West to act (if only to be seen to), triggering a series of sanctions causing his economy greater problems, which long term probably weakens him as Russia wont be able to finance a recovery. one outlet he has is to sell gas/oil to China, but they wont be in a position to increase demand if the West is in recession.

or as someone once said, 'ees complicated.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i do honestly think that should the worst happen and the sirens go off, then there would be a race on here to be the first to announce it.
I've got a pre-typed announcement saved in WordPad.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Does anyone feel history repeating itself and Hagues rhetoric sounded just like Chamberlain appeasing Hitler in 1938 - vapid threats and such a fear of of any conflict that we will bend over backwards not to take any real action - Putin will be enboldened in the same way Hitler was and we all know what that led to! Also the west has been disarming the same way we did in the 1930's....its all very worrying

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Does anyone feel history repeating itself and Hagues rhetoric sounded just like Chamberlain appeasing Hitler in 1938 - vapid threats and such a fear of of any conflict that we will bend over backwards not to take any real action - Putin will be enboldened in the same way Hitler was and we all know what that led to! Also the west has been disarming the same way we did in the 1930's....its all very worrying

But not forgetting the consequences are far broader and more widely appreciated by the citizens of this world we live in, in and out of government...... it won't escalate to military action, the technology would render it a goalless draw for all concerned.......economics is another thing altogether..we will probably all feel a bit of that pain in the next year or so.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

:down::down:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
OR >>>>>>

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Where can you buy these World War III watches?

Wouldn't mind having a look at them , not sure it'll beat my Ben 10 watch thou.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Ironically after reading that Ukraine have withdrawn from the CIS, the Russians may have(by their own arrogance) forced Ukraine into talks about joining NATO. All this is going to do is push the alliances borders further east, whereas a more softly softly approach and support for the new regime in Ukraine may have led to them remaining part of the CIS.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
done and dusted
unfortunately nobody noticed
on a serious note they all need to get to a table and start talking otherwise its going to turn nasty
please do not let any of the yanks get anywhere near the RED button

The yanks won't get involved because they would lose

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The world could not afford WW3 .......... However I can see the two sides talking themselves into a fight neither really wants

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here