Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World War 3 watch.....

Stumpy Tim

China aren't interested in joining a war - they won't side with Russia or the US.

I think Russia will get to keep Crimea, and hopefully that'll be that. To be fair, it does sound like most of the Crimea want that to happen anyway. If the vote had gone the other way, the West would be pointing at the result as proof that Russia should walk away.

Now where's that plane?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
China aren't interested in joining a war - they won't side with Russia or the US.

I think Russia will get to keep Crimea, and hopefully that'll be that. To be fair, it does sound like most of the Crimea want that to happen anyway. If the vote had gone the other way, the West would be pointing at the result as proof that Russia should walk away.

Now where's that plane?

I suspect this will be the case. I hope so anyway.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

Now where's that plane?

I think you're spot on. Russia will get Crimea and I'm sure this has been agreed behind the scenes. What is happening now is posturing and tit for tat verbals that are calculated to give both parties popular support while surreptitiously leaving the door open for eventual reconciliation.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Now where's that plane?
You do know why the population of Crimea is 60% ethnic Russian and Russian speakers dont you? .......... after the 2nd world war, the Soviets banished all the ethnic Tartars to central Asia as a punshment, they also exiled all the ethnic Greek and Armenians who made up most of the rest of the population at the time..... thus leaving the way for ethnic Russians to become the largest single group. In 1954 Krustchev gave Crimea to the Ukraine,.... nobody really knows why. So you see, despite the assertions of Czechmate, Hybrid-x and some other apologists on here, there is NO real history of Crimea being forever Russian, it has been engineered that way since the war.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The big problem is this referendum, self determination is supported by the US and Britain in other places, and if the Crimea had voted for independance from the Ukraine it would possibly have had support, but voting to become part of a different country, after troops of that country have set up shop there, is a bit different.
The thought of going to war with Russia to restore the Crimea to the Ukraine, when the population of the Crimea has voted to be Russian, is nuts though.

But there was no "do nothing" option in the referendum so hardly a fair measure of the populations wishes.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Crazy Ukrainian loon talking of rearming their nukes.

They have the scientists and delivery systems, but not possible I guess unless they really didn't give up all 4300 warheads.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
WW3 would be friggin awesome!

My Call Of Duty skills would finally come into play.

And anyway,far too many bloody people about,we could do with some thinning out.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

I doubt your respawn ability would work though. Oh and you may think twice about rushing in on the first level, knowing that there's no quick save function, or indeed a save function at all.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You do know why the population of Crimea is 60% ethnic Russian and Russian speakers dont you? .......... after the 2nd world war, the Soviets banished all the ethnic Tartars to central Asia as a punshment, they also exiled all the ethnic Greek and Armenians who made up most of the rest of the population at the time..... thus leaving the way for ethnic Russians to become the largest single group. In 1954 Krustchev gave Crimea to the Ukraine,.... nobody really knows why. So you see, despite the assertions of Czechmate, Hybrid-x and some other apologists on here, there is NO real history of Crimea being forever Russian, it has been engineered that way since the war.

Khrushchev ceded Crimea to the Ukrainian SSR to celebrate the 300th anniversary of Ukraine merging with Tsarist Russia. It conveniently tidied up the map of the Soviet Union at the time. From the Russian point of view Sevastopol gives them strategic access to the Black Sea and Mediterranean and if Ukraine had successfully applied to be an EU member state that would have put the kibosh on it. The treaty signed by Crimea and Russia yesterday confers "Federal Russian City" status on Sevastopol.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
The questions are will Putin stop where he is? At the Dnieper? Into Moldova? At the Polish or Romanian border?

Well, if you take the view that Putin is on the move to recover those states (or strategically important parts of those states) that were previously USSR, then given their ethnic Russian populations Kazahstan and Belarus could be next. This would be like Crimea though (or in historical terms the Sudetenland).

The Baltics would probably be the worst case scenario as they are in the EU and NATO (I think).

Either way if Putin is testing the resolve of the West he has got an unequovical answer, a disunited EU and an EU out of step with the US.

In the last 2 weeks he has been able to demonstrate to the world the weakness of western neoliberal resolve. For all the highmindedness of the west when it comes to the attitude of the Russian's to homosexuality and democracy, when Russia flexes its muscles there is next to nothing that comes back. Did anything happen after Georgia?

The hard facts are that bullies need to be confronted, and on equal terms however because of western atitudes this is unlikely to happen.

Russia is not Iran, financial sanctions will not bring it to its knees.

So, unless we want to confront Putin militarily, we should expect more of the same and get used to it.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008

And anyway,far too many bloody people about,we could do with some thinning out.

I take it you would be happy to be top of the list regarding the thinning process .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The main thing I picked up from your post, is that you've posted a smile. WTF!

Nothing like a world war to get rid of some dead wood far too many pointless people in the world and I including myself in that. Day in Day out boring work, predicable life.... time for a shake up, change things around a little, new borders and new world orders and all that...... Time for the scientologists to take over the world.....

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Putin has his nice pad in St Georges Hill Weybridge good location close to London for when his Russian mates take over London.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here