Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] World Vegan Day

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Good quality grass fed beef is one of the most nutritious foods available to us. We should be eating more, not less.

Quite so. I wish people would understand that it is not meat production and consumption per se that is bad for the planet and health, but mass-produced, commercial production, and the feeding of grain to cattle. I feel the understanding of nuance in these type of matters goes under the radar, and people just believe the simple headline they are pumped with.

We try to get all of our meat (and veg) from Plaw Hatch and Tablehurst biodynamic farms. If all food was produced this way people's health and the planet would be much better off. There is no compelling reason to stop eating organic, grass-fed red meat.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why not go for the veggie/vegan option in the curry house? The meatfree options in Indian cuisine are amazing.

Yeah, I have had them in the past, but this was when being veggie wasn't nearly so common and they weren't up to much. (This was also back in the days when you used to have to pay extra for chicken breast). But you're right, I should give them a go in this new era. And I DO think about it, it's just that the words "Chicken Jalfrezi, boiled rice and a sag aloo please" come out of my mouth without any conscious effort on my part.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If someone could update the thread every so often with who's winning it'll save us all a lot of time.

I had a coffee and some fruit, walked the dog, and have just re-energised with a cheese sandwich on rye bread with butter.

I think thats a score draw? :rolleyes:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Full English breakfast for me this morning

A steak and eggs breakfast for me. Rip its horns out and wipe its arse!

Wearing nothing but leather chaps.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Why not go for the veggie/vegan option in the curry house? The meatfree options in Indian cuisine are amazing.

Indeed. I think I had a lamb dhansak a few months ago but other than every time I've ordered an Indian takeaway in the last 3/4 years it always veggie

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
There is no compelling reason to stop eating organic, grass-fed red meat.

Apart from killing sentient animals. Animals capable of emotions, fear and love just like our dogs and our cats and other pets. It's better that they don't exist in the first place.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I love this one

veeg.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm a vegetarian (when I'm sober..) but vegan food... I've not been able to do that step.

Never seen the purpose with bashing carnivores but its funny how they percieve vegetarians/vegans to be all up in their faces when some of them are very willing to show how tough and cool they are opting to eat meat.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Because there's plenty to discuss, if you want to.

Personally I don't believe you can divorce meat eating from climate change.

When I became a Vegan about 30 years ago it wasn't easy. Now it's easier than ever, certainly in this country. It's almost fashionable now, which can only be a good thing in my eyes. Vegan 'options' left right and centre.

Even if people just reduce their meat and dairy consumption, that's a massive step in the right direction in my opinion. On so many levels.

Others may think differently.

I started eating a plant based diet at the beginning of 2020 having been veggie for a couple of years previously. You are bang on. I couldn’t have chosen a better time to do so. So many options now. Just had a “tuna” and melted “cheese” toastie. Lovely Vegan breakfast in Liverpool Saturday morning.

Last edited:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Whenever I see the subject of vegetarianism or veganism raised anywhere on the internet it's full of "men" feeling threatened disguised as "funny". Guys, if you at least try and cut down your intake of meat and dairy it doesn't make you any less of a "man".

The evidence is all there, it's better for the planet and the body. If we all did a little bit then it would make a huge difference. Try going just one day a week without meat or dairy.

No thanks.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I don't necessarily have an issue with vegetarians or vegans, until they start preaching and trying to convert people, like those dickheads who raid restaurants and intimidate diners. Furthermore, I feel the climate argument (which i don't disagree with, despite working in the oil industry!) is a convenient foil for the animal rights crazies to further their agenda.
I've reduced my meat intake a little, primarily cutting out the processed supermarket cr@p for health reasons. The majority of my meat is bought from the village butchers, which is all sourced within 30 miles and most of it much nearer. The rest I shoot myself (partridge, pheasant, pigeon, duck and goose) or get venison from with friends who cull deer. That probably won't sit well with any AR folk, but hell, most of that is wild, free range and minimal impact on the environment. Doubt I could cut much dairy out: only about 2 pints of milk and a tiny amount of cheese a week ain't gonna make much difference.
Hope the Vegans enjoyed their day.

Good quality grass fed beef is one of the most nutritious foods available to us. We should be eating more, not less.

No no and no.

In small quantities, twice a week max, yes.

Organic local grass fed beef is very good. However, red meat based products are a big contributor to co2 output. Also, eating lots of red meat can heighten the risk of bowel problems including the c word.

simple chemistry. every C in CH4 and CO2 has to come from a C in the food. all the food whether grass, grain or soya is grown, absorbing CO2. sure the cycle isnt instant, its faster than people planting trees to offset their new car.

I cannot tell if you are joking or not here.

The science based facts say you are completely wrong in your assumption that the meat industry is net zero haha I don't see Phd or Msc next to your name either ;)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I cannot tell if you are joking or not here.

The science based facts say you are completely wrong in your assumption that the meat industry is net zero haha I don't see Phd or Msc next to your name either ;)

completely serious. please point out the flaw in the carbon cycle posted, where does the positive carbon output come from? i have read papers on meat contribution to GHG, effectively write off CO2 emission because of the cycle, focuses on the CH4 as longer lasting. still a shorter time cycle than established carbon offsetting schemes, plant a wood to sequester away a car's production emissions and such. and thats before we get into pork and poultry with negligable CH4 output, or european farming practice vs american. the science gets manipulated with post-farm emissions, non-uniform practices, double counting, not discounting absorption to present a picture that is not accurate

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'll only eat very good and well reared meat these days. This proves expensive and means I don't eat meat much unless I am dining out. I really enjoy it when I do. I do enjoy fish and have that often at home. Something really nice and clean about a fresh piece of fish, simply prepared alongside some garden peas and new potatoes with a bit of herb butter drizzled on top. Yum!

Edit: I like sausages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here