Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] World Vegan Day

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Once, on an Audax, I rode behind a bloke with Vegan Cyclist emblazoned all over his jersey. He must have been brave, but I confess, my first thoughts were...Tit.

Did he have a box of chalk and a cane? :lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You won’t be happy with me mate :rolleyes:

I gave up meat no problem and yesterday it was 9 months without alcohol, but I love crunchy nut cornflakes :lolol:

Don't get me wrong, I'd done my November recommend sugar allowance by about 0700 hours this morning :lolol:

Nice one on the booze btw! :)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
it quite easy, look at the information properly and see meat is net zero, consumption of organic matter offsets the output gas. its hijacking a popular issue to promote another cause.

You should tell NFU that meat is already net zero, they've got a plan to make it net zero by 2040 they can save all that effort now

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I've been trying to do this. Not getting much support from my family but trying.

Vegan/Vegetarian bashing is so boring, bit like having a crack at the cyclists or teachers.

Live and let live.

They can mock but at least you're doing something and that will make you feel better in yourself. I'm not even 100% vegetarian or vegan but it's very easy to reduce your intake and use substitutes here and there. It's especially easy to cut out processed meats.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd love to see your evidence for this.

simple chemistry. every C in CH4 and CO2 has to come from a C in the food. all the food whether grass, grain or soya is grown, absorbing CO2. sure the cycle isnt instant, its faster than people planting trees to offset their new car.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
simple chemistry. every C in CH4 and CO2 has to come from a C in the food. all the food whether grass, grain or soya is grown, absorbing CO2. sure the cycle isnt instant, its faster than people planting trees to offset their new car.

But you realise the problem is due to an increase in atmospheric CO2 and CH4 right? So the cycle has become imbalanced?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
They can mock but at least you're doing something and that will make you feel better in yourself. I'm not even 100% vegetarian or vegan but it's very easy to reduce your intake and use substitutes here and there. It's especially easy to cut out processed meats.

I have been trying to cut out processed food for a long time. mostly doing okay with that. My idea is that eating a bit less meat will also allow me to eat better quality/higher welfare meat when I do eat it. I am hoping I can still eat well and lose a bit of weight.

Full respect to those who do their bit and more. This may be how we make the world a better place.

The mockers and knockers will eventually find another target.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Once, on an Audax, I rode behind a bloke with Vegan Cyclist emblazoned all over his jersey. He must have been brave, but I confess, my first thoughts were...Tit.
Indeed. Like many people we've massively cut down on our meat intake at home, indeed I can't remember the last time we had red meat. (And about 95% of the time I have the veggie option when eating out - all except curry!) As you said earlier there are now so many veggie/vegan options available that we don't miss meat.

But I DON'T like being preached at by zealots. Maybe it's a personality defect, but if I feel that someone is trying to force their views on me I will quite happily cut off my nose to spite my face to do the exact opposite of what they want. So in the same way that 'Insulate Britain' protestors could make me turn up my central heating thermostat by 10 degrees (regardless of how right their cause might be), so a load of vegans noisily picketing somewhere will make me go and buy a freezer full of veal cutlets.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Indeed. Like many people we've massively cut down on our meat intake at home, indeed I can't remember the last time we had red meat. (And about 95% of the time I have the veggie option when eating out - all except curry!) As you said earlier there are now so many veggie/vegan options available that we don't miss meat.

But I DON'T like being preached at by zealots. Maybe it's a personality defect, but if I feel that someone is trying to force their views on me I will quite happily cut off my nose to spite my face to do the exact opposite of what they want. So in the same way that 'Insulate Britain' protestors could make me turn up my central heating thermostat by 10 degrees (regardless of how right their cause might be), so a load of vegans noisily picketing somewhere will make me go and buy a freezer full of veal cutlets.

Spot on, there are way more effective ways to get your message across than coming over all militant and browbeating people. As always though, those are the vocal minority giving everyone else a bad name. Most people just get on with shit.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Why not go for the veggie/vegan option in the curry house? The meatfree options in Indian cuisine are amazing.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Why not go for the veggie/vegan option in the curry house? The meatfree options in Indian cuisine are amazing.

My current curry of choice is vegetarian, cottage cheese potato and nut dumplings . . . beautiful.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Whenever I see the subject of vegetarianism or veganism raised anywhere on the internet it's full of "men" feeling threatened disguised as "funny". Guys, if you at least try and cut down your intake of meat and dairy it doesn't make you any less of a "man".

The evidence is all there, it's better for the planet and the body. If we all did a little bit then it would make a huge difference. Try going just one day a week without meat or dairy.

I think this might be a generational thing particularly. Some of the older members of my extended family see my ownership of an electric car as a sign I'm a dangerous communist hippie who probably thinks Insulate Britain and Extinction Rebellion don't go far enough. That I don't own a road atlas but rely on satnav and my phone rather than memorising in-depth knowledge of every permutation of every route and junction and roundabout possible for travel between Brighton and Newcastle makes me positively unhinged. The other day one of them spent a good 10 minutes querying what had influenced one of the family (in her 40s) to choose a vegetarian meal in a pub. I don't think anyone else, mostly people under 50, even noticed but certainly no-one else felt a need to comment. If someone's lifestyle choice - that doesn't affect people and isn't forced on them either verbally or physically - makes them that insecure then they have bigger issues with their sense of identity than they are acknowledging.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I too have cut down on red meat - but I still love it.

Eat a lot of fish sold from the cracking seafront fishmongers in Littlehampton and Worthing.

Just highlighting there is a big difference between not eating red meat every day and being vegan.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here