Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] World Test XI

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Gilchrist fancies Barnes now and drives him, slightly uppishly, through mid-on for four. That's 45 now and he's looking in form.

And that's it, he brings up his 50 with another six. That's a beautiful shot, straight over the bowler's head,.

He tries to repeat the shot ... and he's BOWLED. Maybe there was an edge but the stumps are flying everywhere and Gilchrist is on his way for 51

Knowing Barnes he will have given him a bit of a send off as well. Anyway that is a relief, presume Keith Miller next in?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Botham's back on after the Stokes experiment - he got the breakthrough but was horribly expensive. Trumper celebrates by driving him for four

He strolls a single and Botham beats Miller all ends up - unlucky there. He and Miller exchange a few words - I don't think that was about what nightclub to go to, but with these two, you never know

249-6

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's pretty quiet at the moment. Miller is unusually sedate and Trumper still looks unflustered by anything. They're playing Barnes and Botham calmly - Trumper has hit a three through mid-off but there are no fireworks

258-6

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hammond has a bit of a dilemma - mainly caused by not having a spinner. The new ball is due in 10 overs time but Barnes has had a long spell and needs to be replaced soon. But he wants to keep Anderson and Tate fresh.

261-6

Trumper 89, Miller 4

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hammond has a bit of a dilemma - mainly caused by not having a spinner. The new ball is due in 10 overs time but Barnes has had a long spell and needs to be replaced soon. But he wants to keep Anderson and Tate fresh.

261-6

Tate bowled about 5,000 overs a season for Sussex so he'll be OK...:wink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This interesting: Hammond has decided that the answer to his problem is ... Hammond.

The skipper's coming on. He doesn't bowl as much as he should but he still has more than 700 first class wickets so he's not a makeweight.

He's got a bit of pace too but Trumper's not fazed and flicks him off his toes for a fine boundary

265-6

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
This is what is unique about cricket compared to other team sports. I want Trumper out next ball but when he gets his inevitable Century I will stand and cheer him (bloody Convict though he is).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Miller wants to get in on the act and thumps Barnes through mid-wicket for 4

But Barnes has done him like a kipper next ball. It swings late, takes an edge and Knott, standing up to the stumps, pouches an easy catch

269-7 - Barnes has four

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Miller wants to get in on the act and thumps Barnes through mid-wicket for 4

But Barnes has done him like a kipper next ball. It swings late, takes an edge and Knott, standing up to the stumps, pouches an easy catch

269-7 - Barnes has four

Scenes, I would put a few bob on Trumper carrying his bat...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Trumper's untroubled though, he drives Hammond off the back foot for four and pushes an easy single.

Warne gets off the mark with two

276-7 (Trumper 99, Warne 2) 74 overs

EDIT (Just as an aside, when I was at The Cricketer, I interviewed John Langridge the ex Sussex opener and umpire. I asked him which bowler caused him the most problems, expecting him to say someone like Larwood, Bedser or Verity and he said it was Wally Hammond. That really surprised me but JL said he was quicker than you think and always caused him problems)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This is what is unique about cricket compared to other team sports. I want Trumper out next ball but when he gets his inevitable Century I will stand and cheer him (bloody Convict though he is).
When we went to Old Trafford for the World Cup game between SA and AUS one of the best moments was Warner getting his ton.

We all stood up and applauded, while booing. My mate, while clapping, said "Great knock, but he's still a T***"".

The actual best bit was still Australia losing though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
100 for Trumper. And that's it, he pushes Barnes through wide mid-on and scampers for two. The whole crowd rises to applaund a fantastic knock. He came to the match with a reputation as the best-ever player on bowler-friendly wickets and has lived up to that, looking untroubled even in the morning session when the ball was seaming around. The last time he played at Trent Bridge, he had to retire with back pain and took little part in the game - he's more than made up for that today,

And he celebrates his ton by driving Barnes through point for four. Barnes doesn't look happy and looks to have a few words but the umpire has quickly stepped in

283-7

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A bit of a quiet period after Trumper's century; a few singles but nothing exciting.

286-7

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
100 for Trumper. And that's it, he pushes Barnes through wide mid-on and scampers for two. The whole crowd rises to applaund a fantastic knock. He came to the match with a reputation as the best-ever player on bowler-friendly wickets and has lived up to that, looking untroubled even in the morning session when the ball was seaming around. The last time he played at Trent Bridge, he had to retire with back pain and took little part in the game - he's more than made up for that today,

And he celebrates his ton by driving Barnes through point for four. Barnes doesn't look happy and looks to have a few words but the umpire has quickly stepped in

283-7

How many of us will be able to say we saw a Victor Trumper ton? :clap:

I'll bet Barnes is getting quite snarky, a change of bowler (Anderson) may be the answer, Warne was never fond of him...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Trumper's reminding us that he's a class player by driving a Hammond half-volley through mid-on for four.

Barnes' long spell has finished and Tate is on with a couple of overs before the new ball is taken,

292-7

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here