Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Darts

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Like a Ryder cup of darts, played over a weekend, 4 sessions, 4 matches in each, one year at Blackpool, the next at Lakeside, when PDC are at 'home' on Sky, when its BDO on the BBC.

That would be amazing. I love the Ryder cup on it's own, but the thought of a Ryder Cup of darts makes me want to get my arrows and slack off work already.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Out of interest do any of you posters play darts and what at what level?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
The days of possible unity between the two are long gone imo.

They are almost 2 different sports now.

The BDO will continue to run the game in this country (local leagues, county and a few "big" tournaments).

The PDC will continue to grow the sport at professional televised level.

Job done as far I can see.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I have got two 180's in my life. Very proud.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
I play locally in the Brighton League which is great fun, but I'm not up to super league standard.

Superleague in Stockport? Do you ever end up playing Darryl Fitton and Tony O'Shea? I thought they play up that way.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
This Stockport league is a bit tasty.
Some of the teams in it are unbelievable.
Fortunately, there are quite a few that aren't quite as good, so you can win a few games here and there [emoji1]

Yeah I know Daz and Tony well, both of them have been playing Superleague up here since they were kids, although Tony did stop playing last season to "do something else"

Despite having played in this league for 12 years, I've never been (un)lucky enough to have been drawn against either of them, although both have marked games I've played in several times.

Really nice blokes, both of them.

At one point a few seasons back, our league champions had in their team:

Darryl Fitton
Tony O'Shea
Stu Kellet
Gary Anderson (briefly)
Gary Robson

They didn't lose many [emoji1]

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Fortunately, there are quite a few that aren't quite as good, so you can win a few games here and there [emoji1]

Yeah I know Daz and Tony well, both of them have been playing Superleague up here since they were kids, although Tony did stop playing last season to "do something else"

Despite having played in this league for 12 years, I've never been (un)lucky enough to have been drawn against either of them, although both have marked games I've played in several times.

Darryl Fitton
Tony O'Shea
Stu Kellet
Gary Anderson (briefly)
Gary Robson

Ha ha blimey they sound amazing, I can imagine that being slightly intimidating turning up and seeing that line up.

I met Darryl last year when he was on a stag do in Brighton, him and his mates all rolled into my local one night. Kindly he let me play a couple of legs against him and had a beer with me and my mates afterwards, really really nice guy.

On a side note if you're down here watching the Albion anytime and fancy a throw afterwards, give me a shout on here as I'm always up for a game.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014

Darryl Fitton
Tony O'Shea
Stu Kellet
Gary Anderson (briefly)
Gary Robson

Also, you say they didn't lose "MANY", who on earth beat them?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Yeah you know it's time to just head to the bar when you walk in to see a lineup like that :)

Gentlemen is Daryll. One of the good guys, so is Tony.

We're STH's so we get down as often as we can (bank balance willing).
I'll definitely give you a shout if I can convince the missus to let me out for a few hours on one of our weekends down.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Yeah defiitely do, I'll see if I can get some of my team mates out as well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Out of interest do any of you posters play darts and what at what level?

I do but not to superleague standard - prob just below it. I do enjoy it but hate those in pub leagues (teams and individuals) that take it too seriously! Always a good social event... I go to most of the Players Champs in the PDC at Crawley which is just so much better than TV events IMO.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Couldn't agree more.
I play for the fun and the beer :)
Sometimes I'm good, sometimes I'm not very good at all :-(
Still enjoy it every time.
By the way, Superleague isn't all that.
There are more very average players in it than there are great ones.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Yeah it's all about having a beer and throw with you're mates. Everybody wants to win, but it's not going to ruin my night if I get beat.
To be honest our division here in Brighton is a really nice league, there's not a bad team in it, and you know every week you're going to have a good evening regardless of the result. I'm also a big fan of an away game to a new pub we haven't played in before, always good to try somewhere new.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
BDO vs PDC would never happen.

However, imagine the following loosely based on the Ryder Cup: England vs. Rest Of Europe

12 players per team, each ranked 1-12, 12 matches of 1 set, best of 5 legs.

No. 12 plays No. 12 for 1 point, 11 plays 11 for 2 points, 10 plays 10 for 3 points so each match gets more significant for more points with better players as the night goes on. Total available points = 78 so 40 needed to win. This would guarantee no known outcome until at least match 9, by which time the beer will have well and truly kicked in.

England: Bunting, Michael Smith, Pipe, Newton, T. Jenkins, Hamilton, I. White, King, Chisnall, Wade, A Lewis, Taylor
Europe: C Reyes, R-J Rodriguez, Hopp, Kist, Van Den Pas, Suljovic, R Huybrechts, Klaasen, Van Der Voort, K Huybrechts, Van Barneveld, Van Gerwen.

In theory either side could lose the first 8 but win if their last 4 big guns all triumphed.

Imagine sitting in some beer hall venue in Amsterdam or Hamburg watching that for 5 hours - quality!

The Celtic Nations team wouldn't be too shabby either: G. Price, D Gurney, M, Mansell, J Henderson, J. Lewis, M. Webster, R. Burnett, E. Dolan, R. Thornton, P. Wright, G. Anderson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here