Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Darts

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
To be fair Paul Lims 9 darts was the equivalent of Roger Bannisters 4 minute mile, without Paul Lims heroics all those years ago I doubt we'd have had all these 9 darters in the many PDC televised tournaments.

I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far, so the standard is slightly below the very best of the PDC but there has still been some high quality darts thrown in front of a passionate and knowledgeable darts audience and unbearable tension at times.

Wouldn't say slightly below the 'very best' of the PDC but it is what it is. Must agree on the lakeside / BDO crowd. Proper darts fans and not drunken morons who aren't even watching the darts. Still, they pay their money & keep the PDC prize money high I guess... Also, no walk in girls is a plus - wish the pdc would ditch this Americanism & sexist way of things... Encourages the circus atmo at the big events.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
With Lakeside being 5Miles from me ,i've had many a top session there over the years going back to the 80's including RVB v Burnett final in 98 a classic .You could and still can stand at the bar and chat to the players no pretence or BS.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
But Adrian Lewis still remains the only top player in the PDC not to have played at the Lakeside. However crap it is every so often they produce someone good enough to make the switch.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Unbelievable darts in the final. Amazing from Wolfie 117 first 9 dart average but Scotty Dog is hanging in there.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Unbelievable darts in the final. Amazing from Wolfie 117 first 9 dart average but Scotty Dog is hanging in there.

Crodonilson in your opinion if the top 16 PDC played off head to head against the BDO top 16, in a short best of 5 sets format would it be a 16 nil whitewash?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a close final, neck and neck, but lacking the body blow punches of big finishes, back to back ton plus scores and too many doubles being missed. Enthralling, but like watching Everton drawing 4-4 with West Ham at the mo.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Crodonilson in your opinion if the top 16 PDC played off head to head against the BDO top 16, in a short best of 5 sets format would it be a 16 nil whitewash?
Possibly not but it would be in the best of 9 sets. I remember when The Old House at Home had a team of all Sussex county players 3 of whom had reached the N of World semis.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
How would the draw work? BDO number 1 vs PDC number 1, etc? It would still be unlikely to be 16-0 if done like that but I think it would be a heavy PDC win. If it was a random and anyone in the top 16 could play anyone in the other top 16 then then I think it would be closer.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
How would the draw work? BDO number 1 vs PDC number 1, etc? It would still be unlikely to be 16-0 if done like that but I think it would be a heavy PDC win. If it was a random and anyone in the top 16 could play anyone in the other top 16 then then I think it would be closer.

1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 etc, starting with Van Gerwen vs James Wilson, I think the BDO would be lucky to get 2 or 3 wins out of the 16 matches.

Martin Adams does make me chuckle, years ago I interviewed him on the radio, he was very dismissive about the PDC and said it all revolved around Phil Taylor, almost a decade on he's on the BDO board, has made 22 consecutive appearences at Lakeside, including 10 semis and 5 finals, could the same be said about him and the BDO?

And once again he's publicly declined the Grand Slam of Darts invite. Although I think the PDC might have already banned him.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

10-6 to the PDC for me.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
10-6 to the PDC for me.

I think if it was 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, I think it could be 13-3 maybe 14-2. But if was mixed up I think it could be a lot closer. Out of interest who would be your 6 BDO wins?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think if it was 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, I think it could be 13-3 maybe 14-2. But if was mixed up I think it could be a lot closer. Out of interest who would be your 6 BDO wins?

MVG v Scotty Dog
Taylor v Wolfie
Anderson v Durrant
Lewis v Phillips
Wright v Norris
Wade v Hughes
Whitlock v Big Robbo
Thornton v Harms
Chisnall vThe Boss
RvB v Waites
King v Wilson
Dolan v Fitton
White v Van Eijden
Hamilton v O'Shea
Jenkins v Dawson
Newton v Kong

I've actually got it 9-7, also interesting looking at that PDC top 16 all bar 2 (I think) started their trade in the BDO.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
I'll be honest in that top 11 I back the PDC player in every game. Law of averages would mean a couple would go to the BDO. I'll give you Whitlock and Wright as they could be vulnerable. I think RVB and Chisnall would win though. Dolan Vs Fitton could go either way, depends which game they turn up with. But I think I'd go Hamilton over O'Shea aswell.
Interesting though as well have our preferences, it would be quite good to see actually. Maybe they should have a BDO vs PDC in a team game.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The one tournament where they do take each other on is the Grand Slam and given that the BDO are hugely outnumbered in that tournament I think they've more than held their own. One winner, one runner up, four semi finalists and plenty have reached the last 16.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I'll be honest in that top 11 I back the PDC player in every game. Law of averages would mean a couple would go to the BDO. I'll give you Whitlock and Wright as they could be vulnerable. I think RVB and Chisnall would win though. Dolan Vs Fitton could go either way, depends which game they turn up with. But I think I'd go Hamilton over O'Shea aswell.
Interesting though as well have our preferences, it would be quite good to see actually. Maybe they should have a BDO vs PDC in a team game.

Like a Ryder cup of darts, played over a weekend, 4 sessions, 4 matches in each, one year at Blackpool, the next at Lakeside, when PDC are at 'home' on Sky, when its BDO on the BBC.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 etc, starting with Van Gerwen vs James Wilson, I think the BDO would be lucky to get 2 or 3 wins out of the 16 matches.

Martin Adams does make me chuckle, years ago I interviewed him on the radio, he was very dismissive about the PDC and said it all revolved around Phil Taylor, almost a decade on he's on the BDO board, has made 22 consecutive appearences at Lakeside, including 10 semis and 5 finals, could the same be said about him and the BDO?

And once again he's publicly declined the Grand Slam of Darts invite. Although I think the PDC might have already banned him.

In some respects the likes of Martin Adams, Fitton, O'Shea, Montgomery, Waites and all the other Over-40s mugs at the BDO are doing Barry Hearn a massive favour by providing something of a Finishing School for the young prospects that do come through like Webster, Bunting, Chisnall.

In fact, this whole BDO / PDC split has worked out very nicely for Barry Hearn over the last decade with the PDC getting a whole load of free talent drip-fed year on year, and it only looks like continuing with the likes of World Championship Scott Mitchell still farming whilst BDOing.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
In some respects the likes of Martin Adams, Fitton, O'Shea, Montgomery, Waites and all the other Over-40s mugs at the BDO are doing Barry Hearn a massive favour by providing something of a Finishing School for the young prospects that do come through like Webster, Bunting, Chisnall.

In fact, this whole BDO / PDC split has worked out very nicely for Barry Hearn over the last decade with the PDC getting a whole load of free talent drip-fed year on year, and it only looks like continuing with the likes of World Championship Scott Mitchell still farming whilst BDOing.

Being a technophobe I can't post it up on here, but the split in darts prog which featured in BBCs Trouble at the Top series make interesting viewing over 20 years later.

Ollie Croft was the architect of his own misfortune, the PDC, or WDC as they were back then, only asked firstly if the BDO could get more tournaments on TV! when they said no, they asked if it was alright if they could promote tournaments on TV themselves as an organisation whilst still remaining and playing in the BDO world championships.

Short sighted to say the least and played right into Barry Hearns hands.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
I’ve said it before, but I think they both have their place and are both very good at what they do. I’d really love to see darts unified under a single authority again and with the infrastructures they both have in place it could be an amazing sport . It would certainly be great as a player knowing you could rise through the ranks and eventually reach the top part of the game without either being criticised as a sell out or a bottle job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here