Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] World Darts Championship

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I didn’t watch the BDO final on Sunday but am now intrigued given Wayne Warren has publicly stated he still doesn’t know how much he has won. Did the presentation go a little like this “Receiving the BDO championship of the world trophy and a cheque for we haven quite worked it out yet and will let you know in due course Wayne Warrennnnnmm”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Significantly better (5-10 x better in fact at finishing) than the average PDC player [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Next year the World Championships should be held at bens grandads local.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Next year the World Championships should be held at bens grandads local.

Its funny you should say that as when I had a pub in Guildford 3 of us publicans looked into hiring the Civic Hall and promoting an exhibition match Phil Taylor v Raymond Van Barneveldt but the cost was astronomic and would have required selling loads of seats at an expensive price, so we scrubbed the idea. Would have been cheaper with 2 lesser known players both under the same management but it didnt have the same appeal.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Its funny you should say that as when I had a pub in Guildford 3 of us publicans looked into hiring the Civic Hall and promoting an exhibition match Phil Taylor v Raymond Van Barneveldt but the cost was astronomic and would have required selling loads of seats at an expensive price, so we scrubbed the idea. Would have been cheaper with 2 lesser known players both under the same management but it didnt have the same appeal.

Dave at the Ship got 'Jabba' Jamie Caven, Dennis 'The Heat' Ovens and Co Stompe to do an exhibition at the Ship. He charged us £15 each for entry and a great time was had by all.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
As my sons both said 98 and 112 are regular usual get out even in league games with many options. LVG would do it on most ocassions not 1 in 2 or 3. My youngest named 4 players on the BH circuit playing for The Weald and others that he would expect to do it. Perhaps I set my standards of good players too high and expect too much.

Larry Van Gerwen??

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The PDC is better, but it's a little too simplistic to say that nobody would get near the top 32. Glen Durrant moved over and is now 22 in the world and made the quarter final of the world championship. Fallon Sherrock is still BDO in the women's game and in the worlds she knocked out Mensor Suljovic who was world number 11 at the time. The PDC is undoubtedly better, but the BDO players aren't rubbish, the standard is generally lower but the gap is bridgeable.

Spot on, a number of the BDO players at the O2 went back to work in between rounds, Durrant was a housing officer for Teeside Council before he switched to the PDC, I think any decent dart player would improve if they didn't have a full time job and just practiced 7 days a week and played on the PDC tournament circuit.

In 1988 Phil Taylor gave up his job in the factory, and was sponsored by Eric Bristow for £10,000, which is probably like giving a player 30 odd grand now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I went to one of those pub exhibition nights donkey’s years ago and played against Mike (? I think) Gregory who was relatively local (Somerset perhaps - can’t recall as it would have been in the Mid 80s). It was something like a fiver to play, with a cash prize if you beat him. There were several county league players there, but I don’t think he lost a game.

Yoda

English & European
Spot on, a number of the BDO players at the O2 went back to work in between rounds, Durrant was a housing officer for Teeside Council before he switched to the PDC, I think any decent dart player would improve if they didn't have a full time job and just practiced 7 days a week and played on the PDC tournament circuit.

In 1988 Phil Taylor gave up his job in the factory, and was sponsored by Eric Bristow for £10,000, which is probably like giving a player 30 odd grand now.

The only trouble was Phil had to pay Eric back, it was only a loan.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
By compete I meant challenge, not take part.
None of the BDO players would get near the top 32 PDC players, apart from maybe that 14 yr old in ten years time.

Don’t agree - don’t think they’d get nowhere near - think a few could / would get top 32

The PDC is better, but it's a little too simplistic to say that nobody would get near the top 32. Glen Durrant moved over and is now 22 in the world and made the quarter final of the world championship. Fallon Sherrock is still BDO in the women's game and in the worlds she knocked out Mensor Suljovic who was world number 11 at the time. The PDC is undoubtedly better, but the BDO players aren't rubbish, the standard is generally lower but the gap is bridgeable.

And Fallon isn’t either the best women’s player - although she did play best in the PDC worlds!

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I agree he wouldn’t get close to Wright but to say 93 averages wouldn’t be ‘anywhere near competing’ in the PDC is incorrect, unless you’re talking the elite end and winning tv events (there’s much more to the PDC than that!) That would be enough to get a tour card and earn a few bob as it is - let alone improving an average. A lot is made of averages in darts and they can be very misleading - I don’t like the obsession with averages from super league level right through to the top level. There’s only one stat that matters!

180s for show, doubles for dough...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
180s for show, doubles for dough...

That is an old saying that is so true. We had Bobby George and Cliff Lazerenko, not together, play exhibitions at our pubs and both were great value for money but we also had Ritchie Gardner and the least said about him the better. My daughter in law beat Bobby but I think it was fixed but many of my team beat Gardner and he got the hump. Only 1 person beat Cliiff Lazerenko.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Have they just turned the internet back on in Leek ? :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Weird. Darts is Yahtzee levels of fun.

And yet we seem to need five separate threads on the same ****ing subject. It’s almost like the op is a terminal dullard who is totally incapable of using the reply button and has only worked out how to add new threads :facepalm:

Now I’m going to have to find the one full of people going “thud thud thud - 26” and Ben’s Granddad talking bollocks.

Anyone want an unpaid job?

*weeps*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Found it

*dusts hands*

I’m off to check when the fixtures are out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here