Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup. England 23 announced

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Funny how just a few years ago (rather like at the Albion) we seemed to have a surplus of central defenders whereas all of a sudden it's looking extremely weak there. Cahill aside, it's not inspiring confidence.

I guess we have produced young English centre backs (Smalling and Jones), it's just they've turned out to be a lot more average than we'd hoped (Smalling and Jones). Between them those two cost over £26 million, and yet we're probably going to see veteran backup man Jagielka start ahead of them.

Still, it's nice to be talking about how our attack is the strong bit for a change. Sterling has been awesome this year and Sturridge has a sack load of goals. Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain also offer a good bit of creativity in the middle. Even Henderson, who used to be such a boring player, has chipped in with a few goals and assists for Liverpool this year. And we all know that if he decides to turn it on Rooney can be devastating. Might be nice if he gets the chance to pull some strings in a supporting, roaming role, while Sturridge just sticks up top and smashes them in the goalbag.

I wonder whether Liverpool's season ending as it did will inspire or destroy Gerrard. Many have said the season just passed was his last real shot at a title with Liverpool. Well this is certainly his last shot at winning a tournament with England. Don't think it's likely myself, but you do wonder if he's just going to be extra double nuts up for it, after his costly mistake against Chelsea essentially threw the title away.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The defence is shocking.

This is not a criticism of the selection, either - the cupboard is bare.

Sep 4, 2012
Brighton
For years managers have been criticised for picking the same players who failed to deliver on the big stage previously. Be interesting to see this time how the press and England followers react to mistakes being made by inexperienced by promising players.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very happy with the squad. No excuses for not playing pacy, attacking football now. First 11 pretty much picks itself:

4-2-3-1

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard (c) ??? (Henderson or Milner)

Sterling Rooney Lallana

Sturridge

===

Either out in the Group Stages or Quarters I reckon. Should be fun.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
A young squad mixed with the odd bit of experience playing with no or very little pressure could go very far. Tough group to get through though.

Will be an interesting world cup and one to remember I think, not long now!

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I would prefer Stones and Caroll instead of Smalling and Welbeck for sure. Jones can just about manage to be a reserve utility man,.... water boy.

Hahahahaha you've had too much cider there mate!

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
He doesnt come off the wing,.. he plays up front most of the games I have seen.

Welbeck is often utilised on the left for England. He has played centrally but only barring injuries. For England, Welbeck has a decent goal scoring record. He also has good technique, can pass and beat a player.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Half of the team are players I've never even heard of! LOL it's fun living on the other side of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here