[Football] World Cup - Day Twenty One... Time for the boys to do us proud.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Not bothered about the loss - France converted chances, we diverted them.

Gutted for Kane though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thought we played well.

Moments of brilliance win games, fantastic ball of Griezmann - the cross was the goal.

Great first pen by Kane, second unfortunate, but that’s not the reason we didn’t win, we just needed a little bit more. Great saves Lloris.

My only criticism is the Sterling sub, genuinely don’t understand bringing on a player who is in poor form.

Well played England…..
Well said.

Sterling’s been awful for club and country of late, out of his depth today, awful decision making.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Brightside, despite the one booking, I think we are guaranteed to win the fair play award now!

Fair play's coming home!
Never been so excited about a trophy being won. Winning the Fair Play award is at least as good as Albion winning the Oxford Benevolent Cup in 1985.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
After the Senegal game, I thought we'd achieved my pre-tournament expectations of QF.

Losing to the reigning champions is no disgrace. And we played very well. Well enough to win it.

But we just fall short once again.

With the right half of the draw in 2018, a home 2020 Euros and Morocco waiting in the SF in 2022, it's another missed opportunity.

For Southgate who's contracted until after the next Euros, this might be the time to go.

I think he's taken us as far as he can. His tournament record is excellent. He's a fine human being.

But a fresh face with a new tactical outlook that gets the best out of our attacking riches and picks in-form players would be welcome.
Maguire is out of form for club but has been immense for England and one of the first names on the team sheet so I don't see your point

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Croatia semi final, Italy final and tonight were all games we could have won but didn't. We need to find a way to win big games rather than being plucky losers. We played as well as France tonight but as per Gary, Roy and Jordan, this was an opportunity missed.
Harsh. That was a 50-50 game we were on the wrong side of. France are the best team in the world, miles better than Brazil imo.

We did everything right, but got very unlucky unlike the Croatia and Italy games where we tired and retreated. Heads held high for Southgate and his group of players. No shame at all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Harsh. That was a 50-50 game we were on the wrong side of. France are the best team in the world, miles better than Brazil imo.

We did everything right, but got very unlucky unlike the Croatia and Italy games where we tired and retreated. Heads held high for Southgate and his group of players. No shame at all.
Excellent, fair summary.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Two very nice articles from The Grauniad on Mbappé... although his 'goodwill' stock may have dropped a bit since his purported demand to be let go from PSG.

Project Mbappé -- The Making of France's Football Superstar

‘Our idol’: Kylian Mbappé’s World Cup goals bring cheer to banlieue

A genuinely good person who has given much back to his community.

Having said all this, and as a lifelong supporter of Les Bleus, let me wish the best of luck to all England supporters here in The North Stand! :cool: At least we know both teams will want to play some pretty football as they try to advance.

:bloom:
Congratulations @Quebec Seagull you’re a real sport - a great win for Les Bleus - Good luck in the semi’s 👏🍷

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
A game of fine margins. Foul on Saka leads to the 1st goal, clear penalty not given first half. 2nd half we were the better team, bad defending for 2nd goal, what a cross by Griezmann, lucky to be on the pitch though. Missed penalty by Kane, should have let somone else take it especiallywhen its ur club team mate in goal.

Well done England, u did us proud. Only 18 months until we go through the same emotions again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports