Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Day Fourteen... The knockout stages begin.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020
Chin up USA, you did well and got further in the World Cup than several top footballing nations like Italy, Spain, Germany and Scotland.

Edit: not necessarily Spain.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Welp, we are headed home. Its sad as we started off so well in this one, but our back 4 really let us down. 2026 can't come soon enough as I think we will have an even stronger team then. Proud of my fellow Americans for how they competed and I wish England the best of luck against Senegal.(y)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patreon
Oct 20, 2022
Really sad to see them go out - Some poor defending at times from USA and just too many chances not converted especially given Pulisic’s ability to frequently get behind the lines of NED’s defence . However they lack a 9 up front really and are a very young team still. I think the US will continue to build on their WC competition. They should go home proud IMO and look forward to ‘26.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Commentators constantly slagging USA off, what’s their beef? I think they’ve done okay. Not great but they’re still in the game
I thought they played quite well at times, but lacked any quality finishing, and were vulnerable to the counter attack. I switched the sound off, but up to 40 minutes the commentators made it sound like a Dutch masterclass, completely ignoring the fact the Pulicic's chance was as good as theirs.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The US had the WC in '94 - how is it they got it again so soon?
1670087233329.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
And what’s the reason to split it across 3 nations?
I saw something that suggested it’ll be four nations in 2030. Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Colombia, I think.

So, from having the whole thing in a country the size of Sussex to Pan continental…

48 countries involved, too.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patreon
Oct 20, 2022

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'll always have fond memories of USA 94, I was 12 and my Irish father took us over to Cork for a week and we saw Italy v Ireland in a packed pub. Absolutely drenched after Houghton's goal, still one of my best memories watching a world cup game.

Maybe Ireland will qualify this time too? (ha ha).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw something that suggested it’ll be four nations in 2030. Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Colombia, I think.

So, from having the whole thing in a country the size of Sussex to Pan continental…

48 countries involved, too.
I’m not overly averse to 48 nations, that will be fun. But what’s the need for 4 nations hosting it? Any one of them could host it. Seems messy and unfocused.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll always have fond memories of USA 94, I was 12 and my Irish father took us over to Cork for a week and we saw Italy v Ireland in a packed pub. Absolutely drenched after Houghton's goal, still one of my best memories watching a world cup game.

Maybe Ireland will qualify this time too? (ha ha).
I watched that game with some mates in Horatios at the end of the pier; was a crazy night with lots of Irish in there.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As part of the CONCACAF confederation, they've actually waited the longest.

CONCACAF (North America) last hosted the tournament in 1994.
CAF (Africa) hosted in 2010.
CONMEBOL (South America) hosted in 2014.
OFC (Oceania) have never hosted.

UEFA (Europe) and AFC (Asia) were excluded from bidding because they were awarded the 2018 and 2022 tournaments.

Co-hosting had been banned after the 2002 Japan / South Korea World Cup, but was approved for 2026.

It was only Morocco which stood against the joint Canada/Mexico/USA bid. It was outvoted 134 to 65.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"Australia midfielder Keanu Baccus becomes the first St Mirren player to start a World Cup game."

How sh1t are Australia?! Guess we're about to find out...

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For those of you who have watched the BBC build up to this game, there are 21 other players on the field tonight alongside Messi

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patreon
Oct 20, 2022

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Danny Murphy sounded like he was about to burst into a spontaneous wank talking about Messi, apparently he’s an incredible human being…. :facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here