Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup 2022 playoff

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
They are now through.

I doubt you'll get 400/1 anymore but they look no worse than many mid-ranking European teams who will be about 50/1. They looked excellent at times and really should have won far more comfortably.

they won't get weather like that in Qatar , decent bet to reach qtrs

:

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Portugal down to the bare bones which will make that game considerably closer.

I don't think Portugal are a foregone conclusion in that one, whilst Turkey stunk the place out at the Euro's they are capable of pulling off the odd good result and have a few very handy players.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Here are the Japan highlights

Well done Mitoma for the 2 goals - although the 2nd one Ryan basiclly spooned into his own net!

https://youtu.be/5Kt1VnN01-s

That is absolutely painful to watch. The first goal he would never get to, but the second just shows how much he's regressed. He did something similarly stupid on his Amex debut in the friendly, against whoever it was, but it was coached out of him. Technically, that goal is a shocker from an International goalkeeper who has played 100+ games in the English Premier League.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
World cup play offs are generally thrilling fixtures. Two places between those 8 in brutal. Exactly how qualifying should be.

The Italy Portugal play off (which is blatantly going to happen) is essential viewing.

I'm picking Czech and Austria to fight it out in the other final, but those 4 are all closely matched.

There are 3 places up for grabs between the 12 teams currently left in.

The winners of Austria/Wales play the winners of the delayed Scotland and Ukraine match.

Czech Republic will play Poland if they beat Sweden. Poland have been given a bye to the final following Russia being kicked out.

Italy vs North Macedonia and Portugal vs Turkey is the final grouping.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Meh... FIFA are going to send Cristiano Ronaldo to Qatar through whoever they appointed as ref. I've seen Portugal in playoff games before... I rarely moan about refs but in those games they might as well appoint Ronaldo as the ref and it would look less silly than it has.

A conspiracy you (sort of) say? ???

:wink:

Good thread, BTW. I find all this sort of nonsense quite thrilling. It took me till I was 40 to learn how to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the pointless spectacle that is football, but since then I have been in, balls-deep. If I don't watch a game a day I feel deprived :lolol:

:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That is absolutely painful to watch. The first goal he would never get to, but the second just shows how much he's regressed. He did something similarly stupid on his Amex debut in the friendly, against whoever it was, but it was coached out of him. Technically, that goal is a shocker from an International goalkeeper who has played 100+ games in the English Premier League.

Have we dodged a bullet, or has he thrown his tiny fame in front of one, I wonder?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A conspiracy you (sort of) say? ???

:wink:

Good thread, BTW. I find all this sort of nonsense quite thrilling. It took me till I was 40 to learn how to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the pointless spectacle that is football, but since then I have been in, balls-deep. If I don't watch a game a day I feel deprived :lolol:

:thumbsup:

Well yes, may or may not be real but certainly feels that way when you face Portugal and then think about the millions of money he alone is worth for FIFA.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For those without Sky Sports, Cymru v Awstria (I kid you not) is on SC4 HD this evening.

Dewch ymlaen, chi'r defaid-lluwyr! as [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] almost certainly wouldn't say.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't decide whether I want to see Wales get HUMPED tonight, or in the playoff final. Either would be hugely amusing.

If they got through and played the scotch, then seeing one of them fail at the last hurdle would also be fun.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sweden:

Olsen

Danielson - Lindelöf - Nilsson - Olsson

Claesson - Olsson - Ekdal - Forsberg

Kulusevski - Isak

Subs: Sundgren, Bengtsson, Hrgota, Linde, Karlström, Helander, Starfelt, Karlsson, Elanga, Svanberg, Quaison, Nordfelt

Czech Republic

Vaclik

Zima - Brabec - Holes - Sadilek

Jankto - Soucek - Hlozek - Barak - Masopust

Kuchta

... and no, if I wasnt Swedish I wouldnt know about half of the guys in either team..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't decide whether I want to see Wales get HUMPED tonight, or in the playoff final. Either would be hugely amusing.

If they got through and played the scotch, then seeing one of them fail at the last hurdle would also be fun.
Both have a fair amount of ABE chip on their shoulder, but Wales are owed one after Scotland handled the ball in the Welsh penalty area - and were awarded a match-winning penalty and a ticket to the WC final by a referee who couldn't tell a blue sleeve from a red one! 1978 I think it was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here