Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup 2022: Fifa tells all competing nations to 'focus on football' in Qatar

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It can only really be let go once FIFA makes sure that major tournaments are awarded on merit and not by corruption.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Of course they want it focused on football so they can rake in billions whilst ignoring basic human rights in the host country, corruption within the organisation that awarded it (themselves) and gloss over all other controversies in probably the most unpopular World Cup in modern history.

Paving the way for Russia to get the next WC.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
FIFA are full of shit.

And probably very worried. If you read Qatari natives doing AMAs and stuff, it is quite clear that they really didn't ask for this World Cup. Qatar as a state won't dare to do shit like arresting westerners and such, but hoping that the average bloke is some oppressed homosexual who secretly likes to drink, dance and do a line of coke on the dance floor... think it might turn out not to be true, could be some cultural clashes. Seems most natives seem to see the Emir bloke as a very liberal guy, but not sure he is by western standards.

Not to mention other states and groups in the region who may not like the fairly western World Cup-circus coming on a visit.

I can see why FIFA would be nervous.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of course they want it focused on football so they can rake in billions whilst ignoring basic human rights in the host country, corruption within the organisation that awarded it (themselves) and gloss over all other controversies in probably the most unpopular World Cup in modern history.

Paving the way for Russia to get the next WC.
Not sure THATS ever gonna happen, given the fact that Russia had the last one, and are now International worldwide pariahs. Plus the fact that the next one has already been awarded to the Americas anyway.

Your first point holds water of course. It was an abomination of a decision to award the World Cup to that revolting backward 16th century migrant state. But when it comes to $$$, FIFA truly has no shame or boundaries. Unfortunately though, I will be watching. I'm in my fifties. I might only have a couple left.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The players should be left to focus on football though. They should be left out of political discussions. They are there to play.

I don't agree with players being made to wear armbands etc (unless they themselves have decided to do so). It's the authorities that made the decisions and journalists etc should be highlighting the issues. Managers and players etc should be left out of it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Great banner at Hertha Berlin today.
a6r9typvj7y91.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think there's a fair point. not to protect the FIFA the blushes and embaressment of their corruption and Qatari standards are being focused on, just that its not for the footballers or various FA to get involved. they dont do and shouldnt do politics. its for the public to ignore the tournement, focus on the problems if they wish. funny though no one calls for end of Qatari gas supply, but some want Kane to make some symbolic comment.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s an easy one for me.

FIFA can go $€#! itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here