Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup 2014- who will qualify?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Its tight in the Republic of Ireland's group between Austria, Sweden and the Republic. Sweden are a one man team if ever i've seen one. Would like to see the Irish finish 2nd, though its a tall order. If they manage that they are sure to get a tricky play-off tie. Who knows.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
why all the doom & glume

no one expects us to win it,from what I've read quite a few think we won't even get there

just enjoy the ride like other nations do,the danes,swedes and dare I say it the dutch

This would be fantastic, in fact, it's how I tend to see it.

Unfortunately there are millions of complete turnip heads who think we've got some divine right to reach the semi-finals AT THE VERY LEAST of every tournament who spoil it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
why all the doom & glume

no one expects us to win it,from what I've read quite a few think we won't even get there

just enjoy the ride like other nations do,the danes,swedes and dare I say it the dutch
This :thumbsup:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Serious danger of finishing second or third , especially if we lose to Ukraine. Certain we would get Ireland in the play offs, that would be an utter utter nightmare.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I'm going to put it out there, and I fully expect to be slaughtered for it.

I don't think England will qualify.

There, I said it. Please don't be too nasty to me.

disagree. We will qualify, then humiliate ourselves. The usual story really.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I wouldn't be too upset if England didn't qualify for the World Cup - the bookies and pubs would miss out on a lot of business and turnover though. I really enjoyed the Confederations Cup with the attacking football as a whole and skills of Neymar's Brazil.

Colombia would be the dark horses. They've got a very exciting young team.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Portugal are more reliant on Cristiano Ronaldo IMO.

I disagree. Ronaldo is a great player but if you took him out of the Portugal national team they would undoubtably still qualify for major tournaments. Sweden without Ibra on the other hand...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Rooney is out of the upcoming two qualifiers - a nasty gash in training from clashing heads with Phil Jones. Sturridge is undetaking light training away from the rest of the squad as they try to get him fit. I can see Walcott leading the line on Friday.

It's not the first time Rooney has had a nasty ole gash on his face.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Are the play-offs still seeded do you know?

My nails could not stand the thought of a two legged play off :(

They've got previous for changing their mind depending on who the teams are.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think Belgium will do well.

Courtois, Mignolet, Kompany, Lukaku, Alderweireld, Dembele, Defour, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Hazard, Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Mirallas, Witsel, Benteke....there will be far worse teams than them, I fancy.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If it is a case of England (money) not qualifying in a play off and Bosnia (skint) qualifying then it will be seeded

Indeed, for 2010 WC they had Russia, France and Portugal all in the playoffs, and had previously stated there would be no seeding. Someone (Platini) panicked and realised 2 of those 3 could play each other so brought it in at the last moment. I'm still bitter.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Exactly. There are 200 or so countries in the world and only eight have EVER won it. Next year, 31 will go home disappointed. I can't really get my head around why anyone would not care if England qualified or not on the basis that we won't win it. The World Cup is the premier sporting event on this planet, it is four weeks of utter football joy. Even if you told me that England were going to lose all three group games without scoring a goal I still want us there.

This with brass knobs on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here