Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup 2014- who will qualify?

Oct 25, 2003
I agree that Montenegro's 4-0 defeat to Ukraine has really hindered their chances. Had they won that they would probably have won the group with England almost certain to be runners-up and go into the play-offs. While Montenegro losing 4-0 has really helped England's chances of winning the group, what nobody is really paying attention to is that it has also brought Ukraine right back into play. If they beat England in Kiev next week then suddenly they're favourites to win the group. And if they do that, then England v Montenegro effectively becomes a 'winner takes the play-off spot' game.

Montenegro have England and Poland away which is tough, but Ukraine have four matches left and two of them are against San Marino. They also have the advantage of playing England on home soil. I reckon they're the team to be wary of.

I hadn't really noticed that they're a point behind England now. Of their last 4 games, two are absolute bankers against SM...the other two are potentially tricky BUT both at home which I think is crucial. They have San Marino this week so could overtake Montenegro (who have Poland).

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Ukraine don't play Poland until next month, by which time Poland will probably be out of contention. And they're at home. That sounds very much like a Ukraine win to me. And having San Marino TWICE when England don't have them at all is a huge plus. Next Tuesday is the big match in this group, because if Ukraine beat England then I can see them winning all four matches and, as a result, the group. England have to get a point to keep it in their hands.

Montenegro have a tougher match against Poland a) because they're away and b) because it's this week, with Poland still clinging to a slight chance of qualifying. I can see them dropping points there and possibly at Wembley too, making it very hard for them to win the group.

So my guess is that if Ukraine beat England they will win the group and England will potentially not even get in the play-offs, but if England get a point or more in Kiev they will win the group.

Are the play-offs still seeded do you know?

My nails could not stand the thought of a two legged play off :(

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So my guess is that if Ukraine beat England they will win the group and England will potentially not even get in the play-offs, but if England get a point or more in Kiev they will win the group.

I'd say it's a little more straight forward than that. England and Ukraine have 3 of their 4 games remaining at home, so must be the favourites for the top two places - with the winner of the group determined when they go head to head in Kiev where a point will do for England. Montenegro will probably only sneak into the top two places if they win against Poland AND at Wembley.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Yes they are - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130617/uefa-world-cup-qualifying-playoff-seeding.ap/

That is incredibly good news for England, because if we do end up in them and they were unseeded we'd be looking at possibly playing France, Croatia or Russia, all of whom are currently in second place in their groups. However, as we'd almost certainly be a seed, we'd more than likely be playing Albania, Hungary, Austria or Bulgaria, who are also in second spots at the moment.

We'll get Portugal.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
How the **** are Albania second in their group?! In fact what is Group E even about.... that must be the "Group of Life"

Oct 25, 2003
And how are Slovenia, a country that qualified for the last World Cup, currently 5th out of 6 in that heap of turd?

it seems to happen with small countries like that...especially in europe. Every now and again they'll just happen to get a decent group of, say, 3 or 4 players who happen to all be in form at the same time which allows them to sneak into tournaments (a good example is LATVIA in 2004). If, say, 1 or 2 of their key men are out injured, retired or simply out of form they don't have the squad depth to deal with it and are complete turd.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
why all the doom & glume

no one expects us to win it,from what I've read quite a few think we won't even get there

just enjoy the ride like other nations do,the danes,swedes and dare I say it the dutch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here