Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Work place overused sayings

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Using the term "Workshop" when it doesn't involve some sort of light engineering but a bunch of dickheads sitting round tables

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The definition of a stakeholder on a project is anyone who is interested. But I agree, overused in the wrong context outside projects.

Don't get me started on "projects". Projects dept are responsible for more management speak bullshit than the rest of the company put together.

They delay the implementation of whatever you are trying to do for so long by the time you get it it's obsolete.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm lucky in that in my industry I will work on a set for a few weeks, in jokes and phrases develop but none of us are around long enough for them to get boring. I did used to work in offices and all the above were used. I do corporates sometimes and I happily tell people to leave it out if they start with that crap. One guy said "moving forward" to me, I let him know I don't understand that kind of talk and he left it. I'm working on Fury at the moment and it's one of the best workplaces with none of that crap I've ever worked on. There is a phrase that gets used on a lot of sets but I like it for it's truth and simplicity: "This is costing a lot of money...DONT **** IT UP"

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Having worked in IT (*** an acronym ***) for many years, I found that if someone used loads of acronyms, it often meant that they did not have a clue what they were talking about. So watch out for those who overuse acronyms, particularly techies talking to non-techies.

Indeed, beware the TLA

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Using the term "Workshop" when it doesn't involve some sort of light engineering but a bunch of dickheads sitting round tables

I've just sent a load of documents to someone for discussion at our "workshop" next week. I hate myself when I say it - like you, I picture some kind of small-scale bits and bobs going on - maybe someone making a small boat.

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
"It's in the company's DNA" no it f**king isn't, a company doesn't have DNA, it doesn't reproduce, it isn't a living organism. This one REALLY winds me up. As someone who also works in IT I see this all the time, but mainly from consultants and business people who like to listen to consultants. Yukky.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Have worked in IT over 30 years and 'buzzword bingo' is still popular -again not sure anyone really understands why people use it when plain english would be more productive ??? Did hear 'Drains Up' used the other day (rather than drill down) but the Manager who said it is a knob so we all ignored him :wink:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"It's in the company's DNA" no it f**king isn't, a company doesn't have DNA, it doesn't reproduce, it isn't a living organism. This one REALLY winds me up. As someone who also works in IT I see this all the time, but mainly from consultants and business people who like to listen to consultants. Yukky.

ConsUltaNTS are great aren't they?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
t our place, we have targets, expressed as a percentage. I understand this. Alongside this we have "Stretch" which is another percentage. I have no idea what this means (nor do I care)

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Come into the stationary cupboard and I'll Fix It for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here