Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women’s WC Final - who is watching?

Women’s WC Final - are you going to watch?

• Total voters

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Spain deserved winners, but credit to the Lionesses for reaching the final.
I haven't enjoyed BBC's coverage of the event, it felt very one-sided towards England, but I do hope that this continues to bolster women's football across the world.
Times will change, we must accept that, and hopefully this will encourage more girls to play the beautiful game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well don’t f***ing watch it! I watched most of the tournament and the standard is getting much better. Not surprising really when investment and professionalism is being poured into a sport banned by OUR football association for 50 years. FFS!!
Indeed. More people watched women football in 1919, than men’. 1920 women’s football was banned.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Disappointing for England team but overall maybe a good thing to manage expectations?

Supporting a team, national or international, means taking the highs and lows. It can’t all be trophies and ticker-tape.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Disappointing tonight but I have enjoyed the tournament. The quality is getting better, like this matters if you like football.

Glad someo people have popped in to tell us they don't like women's football. Great to hear from you fellas.

Well done lionesses, couldn't get it going in the final but Spain played well and didn't allow us much time.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Disappointing for England team but overall maybe a good thing to manage expectations?

Supporting a team, national or international, means taking the highs and lows. It can’t all be trophies and ticker-tape.
Yep, makes a nice change.

Been following England and Brighton my whole life and I am thoroughly sick of all those trophies and tickertape. 🤣

Last edited:

seagull77

Aug 11, 2009
I've not watched any games, But i watched 30 mins of the second half. I know people for some unknown reason get protective of women's football.
But I wished I hadn't bothered. Neither side could string a handful of passes together, They were dropping to the ground like they had been shot after heading the ball.

Hoofing the ball into Areas where the wasnt even a teammate. 13 mins extra time because of all the ridiculous rolling around on the ground. At one point there were 5 players lying on the ground. Worst football i've seen in years.
I agree. If you say anything that isn't "women's football is amazing and great", it's like you are being discriminatory. I said in the office I didn't find woman's football as entertaining and I was looked upon like I was a leper. We can all have valid opinions but I think society has gone too far

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm delighted they lost, saves us having to hear a load of boll*x about them 'bringing it home' and comparisons to 1966 and hearing them go on about 'equal pay' when in reality the men's game generates far more money than women's football so they deservedly get paid more.
While I don’t outright disagree with some of your bitterly made points, “delighted they lost”?

Could you perhaps try being a bit more supportive of a team of people that have dedicated, sacrificed, and played their guts out? All the while facing the obstacles you so clumsily point out?

Maybe a bit of credit for the achievements you or I couldn’t hope to reach in our lifetime?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite enjoyed that, the best team won…..but what a bunch of shitehousers!

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I can only see Spain getting better and better, we will never be able to cope with the way they play ,
second half can’t remember a clear cut chance
we never put them under any sustained pressure
Spain were fortunate their player was not sent off for kicking the ball away , it would of been her second yellow card,
but really the team never got going , and were second best all match
we were lucky the penalty was not retaken as our keeper was well of her line
overall they did well to come second

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, I think it’s another great step forward for football in general.

An England team in a World Cup final?

f***ing ace, I reckon.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Felt like a Men’s game from the 2000’s - Spain much better on the ball than us and deserved winners. We looked very short on quality in the middle of the park. Missed Williamson’s composure on the ball at the back

Tactically I think this is about where the game is at. England V Australia showed us playing decent pass and move football. The final we seems to revert and struggle to keep possession in the centre but they didn't give us enough time.

We should still be proud, they can progress from here and push on. I like the coach she is straight talking and classy in defeat.

Women's football has won a lot of people over here in Australia and that can only be good for the game. Women's football continues to get better and improve in its reach.

Well done all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The better side won. England never created enough. And without Earps, the defeat would've been heavier.

England had relied on other things to make the Final - Haitian finishing, Nigerian penalty-taking, Colombian goalkeeping.

But Spain were never going to make those sort of mistakes having outplayed England last year at the Amex in the Euros.

On the BBC pre-match coverage today, it took 28 minutes for them to properly mention the opposition.

Clearly there's a home market to appeal to, but it smacked of arrogance to me at least.

The whole thing over the last couple days have seen media driven arrogance and near hysteria. For example, which Orders and Honours await Wiegman and the team as WC winners. Way beyond the optimism from punters.

It’s cringeworthy. Exactly the same as when mens teams progress through tournaments.

Little wonder the Celtic nations love it when we crash out.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here