Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women’s football, do you watch it?

Women’s football, do you watch it?

• Yes, love it

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 154 65.5%
  • Dip in and out

Votes: 67 28.5%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Although we lost 1-0, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the game. Man U are a decent side and we gave them a game, albeit mostly defensive, but a very good defensive display, marred only by an arguable goalkeeping error. Startup (our goalie) made a superb save later to keep it at 1-0. We huffed and puffed in the last 10 minutes, but never really troubled their keeper.

Lost, no goals, huffed and puffed, never troubled their ‘keeper; it seems the women have completely closed the gap with the men’s team. Fair play.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good to see so many enthusiastic and excited younger girls at Lewes today for the game…….and both sets of players spending ages signing autographs etc for them after the game too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On a more serious note I’ve seen a few highlights. I feel it’s something I could behind and if I lived in Brighton I’d definitely go to some games.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
No, but purely because the standard is appalling. Not much difference in some other sports such as golf and tennis, but football seems to be way, way behind the mens game and it'll take some time (time I most likely don't have) to get anywhere near equal.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm looking forward to the Euros. Plus I think the race for the title between Arsenal and Chelsea is worth keeping an eye on. Not physically been to a women's game yet though.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Our womens side is really punching way above its weight when you look at our position in the table. There has been massive investment in Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. Man Utd have thrown a bucketload of money at it and so too have Liverpool (who have walked div 2).

Whilst Chelsea is paying a word record fee for Penille Harder we have only one player for whom we have paid a fee. Chelsea can field a team and a subs bench full of international players.

The gulf between the "rich clubs" (Chelsea, Arsenal, the Manchesters and Liverpool) and the rest is going to be the same as in the mens game. Given the available resources, I think Hope has done, and continues to do, a cracking job.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
No, but purely because the standard is appalling. Not much difference in some other sports such as golf and tennis, but football seems to be way, way behind the mens game and it'll take some time (time I most likely don't have) to get anywhere near equal.

What are you benchmarking your standard against to arrive at "appalling". The mens Premier League? Of course it is going to be of a lower standard. Do you benchmark Raducanu against Nadal? Do you benchmark Savannah Marshall against Golovkin?

The English Roses are absolute standouts in world rugby. Why? Because we have 30 fulltime professionals which no other country has. They are strolling through the six nations but they are never going to beat a top Premiership mens team.

Just because the standard is lower it doesn't necessarily mean that games aren't competetive and exciting. Nobody goes to watch a county league side expecting to get the same standard that you see in the EPL.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I'll occasionally watch it , some of its entertaining.

My one wish for all media outlets is that they would put a (W) after their headlines indicating that the story is about women's football. Many a time I have looked at an interesting article only to find out its about Sally Bissouma and not Yves !

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Although we lost 1-0, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the game. Man U are a decent side and we gave them a game, albeit mostly defensive, but a very good defensive display, marred only by an arguable goalkeeping error. Startup (our goalie) made a superb save later to keep it at 1-0. We huffed and puffed in the last 10 minutes, but never really troubled their keeper.

'Arguable'? that's very generous JS - it was an absolute horror from the poor lass.

I'm staunchly GKUnion and forever defending keepers from harsh criticism from folks with no clue - but there's no defending that.

Not nearly as bad as the one I inexplicably let through my body last weekend, mind. So fully behind it was I, that the ball getting through defied the very laws of physics. My lad likened it to one of Graeme Smith's. Ouch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Our womens side is really punching way above its weight when you look at our position in the table. There has been massive investment in Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. Man Utd have thrown a bucketload of money at it and so too have Liverpool (who have walked div 2).

Whilst Chelsea is paying a word record fee for Penille Harder we have only one player for whom we have paid a fee. Chelsea can field a team and a subs bench full of international players.

The gulf between the "rich clubs" (Chelsea, Arsenal, the Manchesters and Liverpool) and the rest is going to be the same as in the mens game. Given the available resources, I think Hope has done, and continues to do, a cracking job.

Maya Le Tissier has been nominated for the Goal of the month and Player of the month.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2555883/le-tissier-up-for-player-and-goal-of-the-month/

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
My one wish for all media outlets is that they would put a (W) after their headlines indicating that the story is about women's football. Many a time I have looked at an interesting article only to find out its about Sally Bissouma and not Yves !

Seconded and you can add our club to that list....."important transfer news coming shortly" or "Swedish international signing incoming."

Saturday I was in the bar and they had SSN on one telly and the Liverpool game on the other. No sound on SSN, popped up on the side bar that City had beaten West Ham. Scrambled my brain for a second.

I don't get the appeal to be honest. Mr Bloom clearly does else he wouldn't have invested so much money in our female side. Maybe it will kick off, can't see it myself. Both Sky and the BBC have been flogging it for a while and it doesn't seem to be getting more popular. If it was going to kick off here then surely that would have happened after the last world cup? Perhaps the Euros next year might give it a bump but given I'm getting emails about tickets pretty much every other week from UEFA maybe not.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
no,but I struggle to even watch the men's these days.proper football stopped around 20 years ago.today football is about falling over,cheating and playing with your hair

This . . . Mrs Zef and myself were saying exactly the same last night, sometimes its enjoyable to watch a higher standard game you don't care about, but most top level sport is more about cheating than the pure sport these days

I think HWT is onto something with trumps though. I do like a good game of trumps with a pint and some dry roasted peanuts. :rolleyes:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'll occasionally watch it , some of its entertaining.

Is Sally free?

She’s gotta be better than Yves (M) right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don't watch it and I try and mute all reference to it on Twitter. I'd also agree that the disingenuous headlines wind me up on occasion. That said, it's a massive growth area. Our local football club started a girls section 2 years ago. We are now at 6 teams and expect to go to 8 next year. The media interest is clearly having an extremely positive influence on getting girls out to play and generating interest in the game which can only be a good thing for any sport. I can always find something else to watch on one of the 400 other channels on my Tellybox.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
'Arguable'? that's very generous JS - it was an absolute horror from the poor lass.

I'm staunchly GKUnion and forever defending keepers from harsh criticism from folks with no clue - but there's no defending that.

Not nearly as bad as the one I inexplicably let through my body last weekend, mind. So fully behind it was I, that the ball getting through defied the very laws of physics. My lad likened it to one of Graeme Smith's. Ouch.

I never criticise my players, regardless of how big a howler they may have made!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Watch very little but am all for it. Great it is now available to play for girls from a young age.
Watching Euros will be interesting because high profile tournament' However dont like all the rubbish talked by players and officials that not enough money put in womens game including wages. I think opposite . In relation to the income and interest they produce I am still amazed all of WPL players are full time. I know they have to play in Crawley but Brighton Women I think attract about 1400/1500 and that is with tickets at £5 and would think plenty of freebies.. Interesting Albion removed subsidy from Seagull Travel for us and yet run free buses to Crawley.
For those that studied recent accounts were financial details of income and expenditure of womens team shown separately

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's growing in popularity and importance (that's the way of the world) and I think our club beat many others in establishing a decent setup which, as has been mentioned above, is punching above its weight against much bigger clubs chucking much more money the way of their women's teams - as you can't just create a good women's side overnight. Talking to a colleague who follows them today, she pointed out that our women use the same training facility as the men and are generally regarded as being treated much more as professionals and part of the club than at many other teams - which has attracted some decent players.

I have watched the odd game on TV but not attended a game, although I have no objection to going. If they'd made the cup final last year I think I'd have gone.

For me a big step would be regularly having double-headers at the Amex. If you look at the most obvious sports where women and men are more equal in terms of prestige (I'm thinking tennis and athletics), it's because punters don't have to choose between them - you get both on the same ticket. I couldn't possibly give up more time to start attending women's games as well as the men, but if it was a case of "I'll be home 2 hours later than usual as there's the women's game on after", then I'd definitely stay and watch, and I think lots of others would as well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Ahh, Graeme Smith. Or "The Hologram", as we used to refer to him. I've never seen a keeper so often seemingly in the right place to stop a shot, only for is to somehow go straight through him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here