Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women’s football, do you watch it?

Women’s football, do you watch it?

• Yes, love it

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 154 65.5%
  • Dip in and out

Votes: 67 28.5%

• Total voters

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Huge credit to Sky who are really pushing women's football. Today they are showing score updates on SSN not only of the Women's Super League but also the Championship for the many people who want to keep updated of the scores. Plus having a couple of pundits watching in on the games in the studio and providing regular updates alongside those at the games themselves.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No. But I have watched it in the past, world cup and the odd clip. Does that count as dip in and out?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I watched the last world cup and enjoyed it. However when I see relatively weak shots at goal looping over
5ft 5 goalkeepers who can barely touch the bar when they are stood on their goal line. I can't help but think. Maybe it's time to make the goal posts a pitches maybe slightly smaller.

I know the women want to be seen as equal to men and I am all for that but I think it's about time that we acknowledge that the majority of them are physically smaller in height and stature.

So I think if we make the goals and pitches just that bit smaller it would attract more women into playing the game

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A more searching question could be 'Women's Football - do you go to games, watch it on TV or have no interest?'

It's difficult not to find women's sport on the BBC at the weekends now with the WSL and 6 Nations.

Whilst I haven't so far watched the Albion Women at Crawley, I'll watch the Women's Football Show and match highlights online.

The interest that most in England have is watching the Lionesses in the major tournaments, either at the WWC or Euros.

Outside of that, there's not so much domestically when it comes to numbers through the turnstiles on a week-in week out basis.

In last month's tournament featuring England, Spain, Canada and Germany, England's fixtures had 8,769, 14,284 and 14,463 fans.

The games that didn't involve England had 249, 119 and 877.
Despite some mitigating circumstances, that's disappointing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Arnold_Clark_Cup

Even the upbeat devotee that is Emma Sanders recognised an inconvenient truth that needs pre-Euros consideration.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60481170

For background, I coached, managed and sponsored a women's team for 4 years in the DWFA (Dubai Women's Football Association), so I've done my bit for grassroots women's football, albeit outside the UK. I've always wanted women's football to grow and improve, and this will naturally take both time and increased visibility.

It's work in progress and there's still clearly a long way to go in many respects.

Last edited:

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Funny thing about the women's game.................they don't scream as loud as the blokes when tackled!!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
...men's cricket - not watched a game since I went to the county ground in around 1972 (and was told off because 'the advertisers are complaining about the boys obscuring the hoardings - would they please move').

It's good to know that you've moved on. :smile:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I voted 'dip in and out'. I am interested, I have paid to watch women's football in the past, and I would much rather watch the England women's team win then watch the men's team lose. However I accept the criticisms, especially about the goalkeepers where the standards are really poor. The 'size' aspect raised by another poster is valid; sometimes a women's game is like watching U14 boys playing on an adult pitch.

Women's rugby on the other hand I absolutely love. I've just watched England v Italy, which wasn't much of a contest but was still enjoyable.

PS - I should add that I'd have voted 'dip in and out' if the question had been about men's football. the last full game I watched was England v Italy in the Euros - and I'm a Sky Sports subscriber. Generally speaking football as a sport now bores me.

D

Deleted member 2719

The ladies game is booming and we will see a far higher standard within the next football world cup.
This WC will be to early but talent is rising through the ranks as it is become first choice to the natural sports girls.
Albion have put big effort in here and with any luck will reap the rewards soon.
Try watching some of the younger ladies games, it's improving immensely.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I know Nikita Parris so occasionally watch Arsenal highlights and also England live when she’s playing. I’d also happily watch BHA women if they are on BBC / ITV, but to be honest the only ladies team I regularly watch is England.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I know I'm a bit of a dinosaur but

I couldn't actually name a single female player

Alex Scott,I do know

But from what I gather,she's retired

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The problem is this:

Man Utd vs Brighton Women and one other game on a Sunday = I'll watch it.

Man Utd vs Brighton Women, Old Firm derby, West Ham v Everton, Spurs v Newcastle = No chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here